Thread: Lloyd LaPlant mandolins?

Default Lloyd LaPlant mandolins?

I recently got a new cd with Joe Walsh on mandolin. The notes say he's playing a LaPlant mandolin. Whatever he's playing....it sounds good, and he does also. Anyone else play a LaPlant mandolin? I am interested in hearing more about them.
    Nick Royal
    Santa Cruz, CA

Registered User Chris Willingham's Avatar

Default Re: Lloyd LaPlant mandolins?

I got to play Joe's Laplant for a few hours while we were in Maine this summer. I'm far from good and I couldn't believe the sound coming out of that thing. It was incredibly easy to play. Every note sounded very clean and crisp, no matter how much I fumbled. Joe's a really nice guy, too. Got to hear him play with a killer local band, which included a celtic harpist playing bluegrass. Just amazing and a lot of fun.

I believe they're made in minnesota or michigan.

I currently have 2 LaPlant Mandolins. Very nice with a lot of volume and tone to match. I also have a LaPlant guitar. WOW! My son also has a LaPlant mando and guitar. Lloyd LaPlant is in Grand Rapids MN. In the upper midwest his instruments are highly sought after. He built his first guitar in 1949 so he's been at this game for a long time. The problem is that he only makes 10-12 instruments per year and guys like me have several. You can find his contact info in the builders section. As far as I know he doesn't do e-mail so just give him a call. My experience with Lloyd has been wonderful. He asked me to describe how I would like my instruments to sound and then he managed to create that sound for me. I've been lucky enough to visit at his home a couple of times to select wood and just pick. You can't get away from him without a jam session! He's a true craftsman and gentleman of the highest degree. If you look him up tell him Homer said Hi!
    Best,

Homer Savard

Lloyd is one of the finest people on earth. I have known him for many years. In the mid 80's I used to go to his place and he would show me around. He always had some cool instruments there. His wife is also a wonderful person and they always made me feel like I was welcome. His mandolins are very nice and well worth the investment. He had a 12 fret guitar in the later 80's that he showed me. That guitar still haunts me to this day. I have never heard another that sounded like that one. I would love to have it, but who knows where it is now. In any case, his instruments are fist class and so is he!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

There are a couple of Lloyd LaPlant mandos on one of the mandotasting CDs (I guess the first one).
    Olaf

Big Joe,
    Last time I was at Lloyd's he was playing a 12 fret he built. Said it was his personal guitar for 20 years or more. Probably the best I've heard or played.
    Wish I lived closer so I could hang out more.

Homer Savard

Here's a previous thread on LaPlant mandolins, including a picture of my 1983 F-5, Number 11:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...hlight=laplant
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

I own two of Lloyd's mandos #6 & 106. As others have metioned his a great person and it's always fun to see what Lloyd has to play when you stop in. He never lets you go without picking for awhile and he's a fine player too. His sons are building also and are making some very good instruments.

He has been known the "other" Lloyd at IBMA. That gives you an idea of what people think of his work.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

The LaPlants are absolutely wonderful people -- I've known them for a number of years even though I haven't visited there for some time. I miss those visits as its always an excuse for a jam! I have a varnished A-5 (#99), an A mandola (#1-46, the 1 stands for the first mandola Lloyd built), and a D-style guitar (#90) that he built for me. All three are great instruments and keepers, but the guitar especially has really killer sound. His instruments aren't that well known probably because he doesn't make that many and doesn't advertise, but everybody I know who has Lloyd's instruments loves 'em.
    Too many instruments...too little time

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

The mandolin player (whose name escapes me) from Monroe Crossing also plays a LaPlant mandolin. Sounds pretty good to me!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Matt Thompson is the mandolin player for Monroe Crossing and I believe he has 2 LaPlants. I know he has #5 and another one made in the mid-90's.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”

My Mandos:
    1981 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #6
    2001 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #57
    2006 Lloyd LaPlant F5 #106
    2017 Boeh F5 #27
    2020 Boeh 2-point #31
    2012 Grey Eagle 2-point #57V

Around Minnesota it almost a rite of passage for mandolin players to aspire to a LaPlant mandolin after playing for a few months. (Or whenever they get the calling)
    I was at a jam recently in northen Minnesota and of the the 5 or 6 mandolin players in attendance, 4 had Laplants and one wishes he did.
    KG

________
    Prucha F 5 Mandolin
    Prucha "Legend" Banjo
    '67 Martin D28 Guitar
    Scheerhorn Resonator

I think Lloyd has made around 150 mandolins, and used ones never seem to be for sale- which is a testiment to his abilities. I have #98, a varnished F, and can't imagine ever selling it, even though a lot of instruments have come and gone in my lifetime.

I just talked to Lloyd and one of his boys, Don, last week. They are both still building, and I think the youngest son, Bill, is building also. I hope you all get the chance to play one.

In a business full of nice and generous people, Lloyd is without question one of the nicest and most generous people I've encountered. When I first went to his house he set aside his work for several hours just to show me his mandolin collection. He brought a parade of mandolins through, starting with twelve or so of his own creations, followed by lots and lots of interesting older models. He'd ask "have you ever tried a ____", and my response of no invariable resulted in him digging out some crazy amazing mandolin I'd only heard talked about in hushed tones. Exciting to say the least.

His mandolin (the one Nick heard- thanks for the kind words) has been my constant companion since I first laid my hands on it. It's like the perfect marraige- my eyes don't wander at all, despite having had chances to play most of the actual mandolins I idolized on my favorite records growing up. It's the best traveling companion I could ask for.

Joe

Joe, thanks for interesting vignette about Mr LaPlant. You made your LaPlant mandolin sound real nice on the first Joy Kills Sorrow cd. When I first heard that recording I said to a friend, wow - love the mandolin...! The base player in that band, Bridget Kearney, is from my home town (Iowa City, IA).

I know you are not with that band anymore, but where-ever you are, I am sure you are still making that LaPlant sing. Larry

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

If you want to have some musical fun, come on up to Grand Rapids,MN on the third weekend of June. Each year Lloyd LaPlant and friends host a musical weekend with jamming and performances at the Itasca County fairgrounds. I call it the "Lloyd LaPlant Instrument Reunion" as many of his instruments are evident in the hands of the attendees. Last year there was a fine Brentrup mandolin as well. Open stage performances are held Friday and Saturday evenings. The Saturday open stage follows a large potluck supper. There is no charge to show up but the county does charge a small fee for camping on the grounds.

Everyone is welcome.
    OTW

Lloyd and Bev and their family are some of my favorite folks to know up here in Mn. You can't meet a better bunch of folks than his family. Plus Lloyd, Billy and Don all play great guitar and mandolin. I've owned a couple of his mandos and love my current one which I have had for about 10 years now. Lots of folks have played my mando and gone out and bought one from Lloyd. Of course I think mine is the best one until I play someone else's and than I have to cave in a bit because they are all very good. Lloyd and his sons a well kept secret up here in Mn. We sort of want to keep it that way but know we can't. Things this good just seem to leak out. No he doesn't have a web site, slick pics, sound bites ect. He and his sons just have the talent to make mandos and guitars that sound great.

18. The following members say thank you to MnRoss for this post:

I had the privilege of visited Lloyd several years ago. He kindly showed me his shop, his instruments and his collections. Then, of course, cookies from Bev and a jam with him, his son Billy, and Sam Miltich. It was a fun afternoon. My wife was really mad when I came back late to the hotel.

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

The current mando picker for the Gibson Brothers (sorry can't remember name), plays a LaPlant which sounds great, and a good friend of mine down here in Nashville, has a LaPlant, which also sounds great...
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

That, too, is Joe Walsh. Yes, it is confusing, and it gets worse: when he is on the west coast, he plays in a band called Scott Nygaard and Crow Molly. The guy gets around.