Thread: Festival Songs to learn

I have never gone to a bluegrass festival with my mando or guitar. #Well - that's gonna change! #I recall a post a few weeks ago listing most played songs at the festivals. #Being the diligent student, I wrote down all the names of the songs and proceded to the record store to purchase some CD's with the songs on them to learn them. #I got nowhere. #-(

I've found plenty of tableture but I just can't seem to learn a song that way. #Let me listen to it and I'm much better at picking it up.

I've got plenty of bluegrass CD's but none seem to have the songs listed on that thread. #Any recommendations on CD's I should purchase or websites that might have music that is often played and a "must know" for a bluegrass festival picker.

I'd like to show up to my first interactive festival without seeming like too much of a newb!

Thanks for the help!

Pen

"How many of you folks have seen that movie "O Brother, Where Ya At?"--Ralph Stanley

Turkey Creek #17
    1958 Gibson A-40
    Ovation MM-68
    2002 Martin D-28

A good resource if you're looking for single songs is the iTunes music store. I just checked and found multiple artists and tracks who've recorded Liberty, Old Joe Clark, Soldier's Joy and Red Haired Boy - all tunes you're likely to run into on a regular basis. If you don't feel like buying them ($0.99) you can sample each one for 30 seconds to get an idea what the tune sounds like. Happy hunting.

Or you could go this route Steve Kaufman's Four Hour Bluegrass Workout #

I found one cheaper on either ebay or Amazon and have been pleased with it. It's also got guitar tab so if you got a picking buddy you might be able to split the cost.

GVD
    GVD

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Don't rule out tabedit files and the tabedit viewer program (or the demo tabedit). You can go to www.mandozine.com, get tabedit files and then let the computer play the tune for reference and refer to the tab for practice.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by (fatt-dad @ Sep. 01 2004, 13:32)
    Don't rule out tabedit files and the tabedit viewer program (or the demo tabedit). #You can go to www.mandozine.com, get tabedit files and then let the computer play the tune for reference and refer to the tab for practice.
    I completely agree. Since TablEdit lets you listen to the notes, it's a little bit like having a fully flexible multichannel sound system. Slow the song down, isolate an instrument, etc, etc! Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by (Pen @ Aug. 31 2004, 14:06)
    I have never gone to a bluegrass festival with my mando or guitar. #Well - that's gonna change! #
    I like your attitude. That's gonna change for me too!
    Breedlove Cascade

TablEdit all the way.... Also, type in a song title and "mp3" in Google or Yahoo. You can find quite a few free mp3 downloads. Another good place to get mp3's as well as instructional stuff is Jay Buckey's site (jaybuckey.com)