Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Owsley Smith Instruments

Default Stephen Owsley Smith Instruments

So up in the General section of the 'cafe there has been a discussion about the "top" mandolin builder. Many of the usual suspects have been discussed, Gil, Dude, Nugget, Kimble, Heiden, and on and on and on. And these mandolins come up for sale on a semi-regular basis.

With my recent purchase of a 'zouk I've been paying a little more attention to them lately and got to thinking.....I don't believe I've ever seen one of Mr. Smiths instruments for sale here in the classifieds or anywhere else for that matter. I know he's had a backlog of orders for a few years now and no longer maintains a website. I remember looking at his site a few years ago and being struck by the unique beauty of his instruments.

So what do y'all know about his instruments? I know taht Roger Landes, Chipper Thompson and Dan Biemborn have all owned and recorded with his instruments. Any other players of them out there? Any pics to share?

Default Re: Stephen Owsley Smith Instruments

Steve's instruments don't come up for sale all that often, but they sometimes do. He makes phenomenal bouzouki's. I have seen a lot of his instruments, and never saw/heard/played one I did not like. I have a bouzouki he made specifically for me that I would never part with as I still get a tingly feeling every time I play it. A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to buy one of his early mandolins. I like it a lot. It is a great instrument, but I have seen several others that I actually like better. But, unless I had a chance to buy one those, I would never sell this one.

If you want to see Steve's instruments, the place to come is ZoukFest, as a number of repeat ZF attendees and some instructors have them.

Blog Entries

A very innovative builder with some amazing ideas resulting in great instruments. My pal Dirk Mahling has a few and they are unreal...maybe he'll post a few photos.

I have one of his mandola's, long scale mandolin ? and it is wonderful. But I have heard that his more recent instruments have not been anywhere near up to the older instruments. It has a wonderful mature tone for such a young instrument.

Kieron

I think he makes wonderful bouzoukis and mandolins. My personal taste changed towards F5s, and my tendonitis moved me off of my long-scale bouzouki some years back- I don't have either of them any more.

It's been at least 4 years since I had any responses to email, phone messages, or US mail.
    Last edited by danb; Nov-02-2009 at 7:28am.
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I guess it was about 4 years ago that I had talked with him 3-4 times on the phone about building an OM for me. He already had a 4 year wait list at the time. I didn't end up ordering one, but he put my name on a list to backfill in case someone already on his list pulled out. Never did hear anything.

I've had the chance to play a couple since then and they are very, very nice instruments. One of them was one Roger Landes had at one time. Roger has quite a bit of experience with SOS's builds.

SOS is an interesting fella. He talked at length about his wood selections and how he preferred to go on lengthy (3-4 day) hiking trips up into the Rocky Mountains to find material (fallen, of course) he could use.

I hope he is still building out there somewhere.

I own a Octave Mando built by Steve that I have had for about ten years now. During that time I have never heard anything, including the Sobels that I occasionally run across, that made me want to jump ship from the SOS. Most of the Octaves I have run across do not have the volume of the SOS. The "cool factor" of Steve's instrument is pretty high also, with wild inlays, head stock design, etc.

I have not heard from Steve in over eight years now, I thought he moved to the island of Kauai.
    Bill

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

A friend here in Indiana has an OM from SOS (23" I think?), and it's just tremendous. I've played a couple of Roger Landes' when he and Chipper Thompson played in Lexington, KY, just a real quick touch of each.

I'd love to have one, they're supreme, but I'm not encouraged by Mr. Smith's ... er ... disappearance. Roger Landes gave me a phone number once and when I had some $ I could spend on an order I left a couple of messages, but got no reply.

So... soon there will be 'room at the top,' so to speak, with Mr Smith and Mr Sobell no longer taking orders.

Who's next on folks' 'best zouk/om builder' lists?

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

Steve is on the big island, not Kauai and he has not disappeared, but is still not taking new orders as far as I know. One look at Dirk Mahling's bouzouki (that John McGann mentions above) that Steve delivered last year would put to rest any rumors of not being as good as his older instruments.

John

I haven't been able to find a working link to a web site featuring his work.
    Kent

Kent J. Martin, Luthier
    Hand crafted, one of a kind musical instruments
    Facebook Page

He has a deposit of mine but I had just about given up...

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    There Was A Time

Quote Originally Posted by sliabhstv View Post
    He has a deposit of mine but I had just about given up...

stv
    Same here.. I have his latest contact information but he never picks up or calls back
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs

Quote Originally Posted by sliabhstv View Post

So... soon there will be 'room at the top,' so to speak, with Mr Smith and Mr Sobell no longer taking orders.

Who's next on folks' 'best zouk/om builder' lists?

stv
    Hmmm... Good question, Steve. Of the instruments I've played enough to make comments on I'd say Dave Cohen is up there. His mandocello I had the chance to sit down with was a true gem. I was able to play a few of his instruments and his stuff is very organic, i.e. definitely not assembly line. Each one has it's own character that is hand made by a gifted craftsman.

When Roman Zajicek of Rozawood has a chance to sit down and really work his craft he comes up with a pretty amazing instrument. He runs a small shop and is hustling to keep it going. He's definitely got the mojo thing going with his stuff. Ornate, finely appointed, and delicate build that makes for a master class instrument.

Don't give up yet. Dirk had basically given up on ever getting his instrument and then one day, there it was--10 years after he put in the order.

Just talked to someone who knows Steve well and I am told that he is busy building instruments and working his way through his backlog.

John

How about some pics of SOS zouks?

Thanks for the encouragement, John. Roger has been encouraging as well.

SOS pix, yeah!! Please?

Thanks,

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    There Was A Time

I've been jonsin' for a SOS zouk for years. I tried to contact him in Hawaii last year and left a couple of messages but to no avail. Does anyone have an e-mail address for him?

Some SOSs and Sobells fromn Zoukfest 2008. Candyland. Sorry for the crummy photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg 
Views:	560 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	47333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075.jpg 
Views:	795 
Size:	173.7 KB 
ID:	47334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	47335  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	47336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00129.jpg 
Views:	627 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	47337  

Those mandolins in the double case......that's what I'm talking about. I love that design. So modern and unique. Too bad you can't get one!

Steve also made a bouzouki with that same body shape. It is an incredible instrument, as are the mandolins. However, he said he is not going to make any more instruments with that body shape.

John

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

Here's one of Steve's OMs. A very elegant instrument
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sos_om.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	47426  

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    I think he makes wonderful bouzoukis and mandolins. My personal taste changed towards F5s, and my tendonitis moved me off of my long-scale bouzouki some years back- I don't have either of them any more.

It's been at least 4 years since I had any responses to email, phone messages, or US mail.
    I loved your video of Midnight on the Water/Bonaparte's Retreat on that SOS mando. Great playing on your part, and that mandolin had a beautiful and very unique tone. It's really too bad that he seems either to have stopped building, or to have started neglecting his customers. I always loved his designs.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Johnozouk View Post
    Don't give up yet. Dirk had basically given up on ever getting his instrument and then one day, there it was--10 years after he put in the order.

Just talked to someone who knows Steve well and I am told that he is busy building instruments and working his way through his backlog.

John
    James, it doesn't look like you saw Johnozouk's post. Hopefully, you can still fulfill your dream for an SOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
    James, it doesn't look like you saw Johnozouk's post. Hopefully, you can still fulfill your dream for an SOS.
    I don't think so. I really don't want to impugn the reputation of someone who obviously truly is an artist and a great craftsman, but I don't think I would want to work with someone who can't be bothered to return calls from customers who have already placed a deposit. I know the top builders have to manage how much time they spend fielding inquiries, but when I've put money down with a builder I expect communication and a relatively reliable delivery date estimate. I'm only speaking for myself, and that's just my personal preference.
    James

Steve's instruments are flat-out fantastic, there's no denying that. I'd appreciate a private message from anyone who has been able to catch him on the phone, by mail, by email, or any other method. I'd still very much like to have the instrument he was working on for me, though I have lost most hope in several years of trying without luck to get in touch
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs