The Mandolin Cafe Restoration Challenge and the shorter days of the season have both inspired me to take on this project. I picked up an A3 Gibson that had a repaired broken headstock plus the top had been stripped and re-stained. Since it already had issues, I decided this might be fun to experiment with. I like the way the A3's white top looks but I didn't want to just do a faithful restoration. The first step was sanding and preparing the top for a blackface treatment. I use leather dye for this. I received a spare Gibson neck with this purchase but since the repair seems intact, I will work on making the repair less obvious. I thought this had a one-piece top till I sanded it and discovered a three-piece top! Here are some shots from todays efforts. I like the blue masking tape rosette! I have included a photo of an A3 as it should look.