Thread: How do you like your mandolin served?

Default How do you like your mandolin served?

I must admit, I prefer listening to mandolin played in small ensembles. To my ears, a lot of the qualities of the instrument are lost in larger groups (talking mostly live performances and jams).

Marshall/Thile, Compton/Long, Grier/Thile, Scott/O'Brien are examples of duos I really like. Trios can be really cool too... Andy Statmans band (mandolin/bass/drums), or maybe Compton playing with Hartford (sometimes only bass/mandolin/banjo).

Don't get me wrong, I love mandolin in larger ensembles too... but honestly, in bluegrass I often find the fiddle more interesting.

So, am I alone in this?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: How do you like your mandolin served?

In my arms, please, with a beer
    That provided, other side dishes are not important.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Small venues with a bit of microphone to augment the acoustics, dim lights, quiet appreciative crowd, and good friends to socialize with when the players are done
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Registered User Matt Hutchinson's Avatar

Interesting question.

I've just left a long-time band I play with (in part) because of my answer to this. We started as a 6-piece (guitar, drums, accordion, bass, fiddle and mandolin) - I could just about cope with the drums (if he played quietly) but we've now added brass and I just find that 90% of whatever I play is irrelevant as it'll get lost. It's not the entire reason I left the band though but is something that I've struggled with for a while. I love the music and the people but I don't have a lot of time to play these days so would prefer something quieter when I do.

I've really enjoyed playing with just one or two others before (any mix of guitar, fiddle, accordion, dobro etc) - not just for volume reasons but because I love the way you can interact in small ensembles.

I also love Marshall/Thile and have a wonderful live recording of Chris with Michael Daves. I like the Skaggs/Rice recordings for the same reason. Also...no mandolin content but I love the British folk band Lau for the same reasons, when they all click you can hear what everyone is doing yet they sound huge. Brilliant

Matt

Blog Entries

For listening enjoyment, practically any size of group or situation. I saw Chris Thile and How To Grow a Band at a venue with concrete floors and a long wait and stood through the show... the music was great fun and quite enjoyable, the venue left much to be desired.

For myself, I like playing at home or occasionally in a church or outside.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I like solo mandolin (classical or otherwise) and for non-classical I mostly prefer small groups with other instruments, such as trad. bluegrass bands or something like the Grisman groups. I'm not a fan of mandolin quartets (or guitar quartets, for that matter). Having heard live most of the prominent string quartets of our time I personally find the mandolin quartets and guitar quartets lacking when playing traditional classical repertoire. They do better with specialized arrangements IMO, but more of those miss than hit for me.
    Mostly it has to do with the level of playing--a great mandolin player is usually going to make it work regardless of setting.
    Small venues with a respectful crowd, good sound system and good sound man make it all work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    Small venues with a bit of microphone to augment the acoustics, dim lights, quiet appreciative crowd, and good friends to socialize with when the players are done
    Nice. The only thing I would add to that is a quality adult beverage.

I only like to play in smaller intimate settings, and particularly not with keyboards.
    I used to be pretty hardcore about strings only, but along with the indispensable acoustic guitar, a sensitive percussionist or good flute player can blend very nicely with the mandolin. More important even than the instruments is that the musicians actually listen to each other and play with taste.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Blog Entries

I have been doing a fair amount of manolin duets, two mandolins - one on melody and the other on rythmic chord backup, both on melody, trading off melody, melody and strong second part, all kinds of options.

The best scenario is where the mandolins have slightly different voices, where they blend well together without losing their individual flavor.

Its a really nice sound.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

For the public IŽd like the mandolin played in a bluegrass band in an arena that takes in 20.000 people that is sold out with an aditional 10.000 people at the door wishing to get inside in a tour that is completely sold out with a total audience of about 1 bilion people that all try to start to play bluegrass.

For me, an intimate setting be it a house concert, small club, concert hall with exquisite acoustics, be it a full bluegrass band, a quartet, trio, duo, solo of most any kind of instrumental combination (think baroque music etc.)
    Olaf

I really enjoy it paired with a single acoustic guitar -- although like Bertram, I also like it paired with a pint.
    Last edited by Jim MacDaniel; Jan-28-2010 at 10:56am.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

Here I'venever heardmore than 1 mandolin except on a CD would not even know ware to go other than utube i would guess not that po[ular in the states
    fred davis

I agree with you Oggy. It can be frustrating sometimes when the mandolin gets lost in too big or too loud a group.

As you said, I still like mandolin in larger groups and I hope it does not get lost in there.

I prefer to listen to the mandolin where there are dim lights, thick smoke, and loud, loud music!

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I prefer to listen to the mandolin where there are dim lights, thick smoke, and loud, loud music!
    That's the only kind of life you'll ever understand? Then you'll never make a wife for a home-lovin' man!

But getting back to the subject: I love mandolin in a variety of contexts, but I have to be able to hear it –- and I prefer to have it audible not only when it's taking a solo, but when it's chording along or playing harmonies or whatever. Too many times it seems to disappear in the "mix" and only come out when the mandolinist steps up to the mic or the other instruments drop 'way down to accommodate it. Band members should be able to balance their instruments without just relying on a sound tech to tweak mic volumes up and down.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by danb View Post
    Good description Dan.

This describes the Wednesday night church praise and worship ensemble I split time between violin and mandolin with.

I use the mandolin primarily to play short phrases to compliment vocals and/or to take a instrumental break between verses. These are not your old time hymns, but complex harmonies with lots of improvisational potential. I love it.

I like mandolin best in the mix with other instruments. A guitar and mandolin sound great together IMO; also good with a fiddle, larger mandolin family instrument such as zouk, and maybe even an accordion thrown into the mix - and voice too

Fliss

With Generous amounts of Beer for the Player.

(since the tip jar stays empty)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

On the other hand, a few weeks back I was able to hear Paul Glasse, Cindy Cashdollar and Redd Volkaert backed by a good bassist. The bass was the only non-solid-body instrument in the bunch.
    That was a thoroughly enjoyable set of music, though far from the acoustic or "miked acoustic" ideal.

It all starts with the player(s).

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

While I play in a fairly standard bluegrass band (two guitars, b@nj0, bass), and have for going on fifty years now...my favorite thing to do is sit with another mandolinist or two and play twins and trios with them.
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

"...my favorite thing to do is sit with another mandolinist or two and play twins and trios with them."

Amen.
    MJB

I always like acoustic music best in an intimate setting. As far as the ensemble goes, I like the mandolin in all sorts. Traditional bluegrass groups, duos, trios, solo... Solo mandolin might get a little boring after a while, it depends who's playing of course.

I certainly don't dislike the mandolin in a larger setting than two or three. It really makes sense to me to have a mandolin in a bluegrass band!