Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guarneri violin sold for $10 million

Blog Entries

Default Guarneri violin sold for $10 million

Reading the NY Times this a.m. and came across this article. Somewhat sad, for sure, but part of the funds certainly put to good use.

Guarneri Violin Sold for $10 Million

Default Re: Guarneri violin sold for $10 million

A little sad, yes. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to say goodbye to a musical partner of 50 years. But he seems to have a definite plan for what to do with the money. I'm glad it was also agreed that it would get played and not just stored in a collection.

Now everyone needs to show this article to their significant others so they understand just how affordable our mandolin habit really is. Makes a Loar look downright affordable!

Man ! Talk about working forever to pay off your performance hardware .. the 8 is laid over with that.
    [sign for infinity, folks]

Sir Paul May be able to afford it, though..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Oh boo hoo. I'm sure he has another decent fiddle at home.

Out saving the world, brb

i new it! Mandolin was the perfect choice of instrument!

This story is nothing short of astounding! I had no idea of the value of those violins.

Work the "investment" angle and emphasize to your spouse that he probably only paid a couple hundred thousand for that fiddle in '58.

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

Whenever I hear a story like this I am astounded at the idea that not only the most valuable instruments but the best sounding most playable most loved instruments in the violin world are 300 or 400 years old. One wouldnt think they would even be playable that old much less the best. Will the loyd loars be that playable 300 years from now? can you think of a martin guitar from 1833 still being played? that violin was built in 1741, 90 years before cf martin opened shop. there may be a few very old piano's or harps still in service but 300 or 400 years old? ..... amazing.

I know the violin well. Aaron Rosand let me have it for about two hours to take photos and measurements. I only had to hand over a dozen cigars. That violin is worth EVERY penny. It is in perfect condition and is considered about the finest Guarneri not housed in a museum, with the exception of maybe one other.

So, if the money wasn't an issue and someone just wanted to be a smart, responsible owner/player of such an instrument, what are the things you would need to think about?

1. Insurance (I'm sure a company like Heritage that specialized in musical instruments would be about the only option).

2. Maintenance: I suspect you'd probably need to use room humidifiers throughout the house, but what else might you need to consider to maintain playability and value, and keep it in excellent condition?
    Clark Beavans

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Makes a Loar seem cheap at twice the price.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

It was formerly Paul Kochanski's violin. He made a wonderful recording of the Brahms D minor sonata with Rubinstein at the piano, presumably on this fiddle. That was in 1932, and he died shortly after. Youtube has a home movie of Kochanski at a 1928 cocktail party, but apparently no examples of his playing.

BC

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    A little sad, yes. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to say goodbye to a musical partner of 50 years. But he seems to have a definite plan for what to do with the money. I'm glad it was also agreed that it would get played and not just stored in a collection.
    I'm always glad when I see sellers make arrangements like this. These glorious instruments are meant to be played, and also heard by as many people as possible - not locked away. I shudder when I think of all the fine instruments doomed to an existence of captivity in some collector's hermetically sealed atmospherically controlled vault.

Now everyone needs to show this article to their significant others so they understand just how affordable our mandolin habit really is. Makes a Loar look downright affordable!
    Loars are affordable - you just need enough moolah!

Quote Originally Posted by James P View Post
    Work the "investment" angle and emphasize to your spouse that he probably only paid a couple hundred thousand for that fiddle in '58.
    Interesting to note that he and/or the reporter neglected to mention that pertinent bit of information ...

Quote Originally Posted by pickinpete View Post
    Whenever I hear a story like this I am astounded at the idea that not only the most valuable instruments but the best sounding most playable most loved instruments in the violin world are 300 or 400 years old. One wouldnt think they would even be playable that old much less the best ... amazing.
    It truly is amazing. I'm sure it has everything to do with the craftsmanship with which they were built and the materials that were used. These builders were geniuses who learned all they could from whomever they apprenticed under and then did more research to achieve the inimitable levels of skill they did.

By comparison, my mandolin and mandola, both over 90 years old, sound great - and these are made by craftsmen in a factory, certainly not on the same level of expertise as Guarneri or Stradivarius, and not even "high-end' models. I wonder how will modern instruments made by individual luthiers come to be regarded centuries from now? It does seem that aging helps to determine an instrument's ultimate value, but how this process works is affected by so many factors that it's anyone's guess.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

I held a Guarneri once at Bearden Violin shop in Saint Louis, Mo. Yikes!

For a long time,the Guarneri Violins were rated as 'second' to the well known Stradivari Violins,but many top Violinists knew that when these instruments 'matured', they were going to at least equal the Strads.in terms of sound quality.
    Many years back,i worked with a colleague who was himself a Violinist & both his parents were pro.musicians. He loaned me a copy of the famed "Strad." magazine which had an article comparing the currently (then) acclaimed Strads. & the 'up & coming' Guarneri & Guadanini Violins in which a few world renowned Violinists expressed their opinions on the instruments. Without exception,they all stated that 'in their opinion',the Guarneris could ultimately be a better Violin (in terms of sound) than many of the top Strads.
    I can certainly understand this musician's saddness over the loss of his musical 'partner' for so many years - i've felt bad over selling instruments that i've had for maybe only a couple of years.
    I can only hope that whoever bought it,loans it (as so many owners do),to a world class Violinist,so that we can continue to hear it.
    Regarding the price - peanuts !!! (not really), but build me another one just like it !,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thumbs up Re: Guarneri violin sold for $10 million

Like old Stradivari, like old Lloyd Loar... old man Guaneri ain't makin' no more

Quote Originally Posted by pickinpete View Post
    Whenever I hear a story like this I am astounded at the idea that not only the most valuable instruments but the best sounding most playable most loved instruments in the violin world are 300 or 400 years old. One wouldnt think they would even be playable that old much less the best. Will the loyd loars be that playable 300 years from now? can you think of a martin guitar from 1833 still being played? that violin was built in 1741, 90 years before cf martin opened shop. there may be a few very old piano's or harps still in service but 300 or 400 years old? ..... amazing.
    No doubt it is a fine example of 300 year old craftsmanship.. But surely there has been considerable work done to it over the years.

Remarkably,many of these old Violins,have little work done to them over the years,other than maybe a new & or re-placed/re-positioned sound post & tuning pegs. My colleague owned a German Violin that was close to 200 years old, & had nothing at all done to it. Original fingerboard,tailpiece & tuners (as far as he knew of course).It had belonged to his Uncle's maternal Grandfather. His uncle didn't play & so passed it on to my friend.
    Any work done on a 'noted' Violin is well documented,as would be expected. Personally,i can see no reason why well made Mandolins shouldn't be around in 300 years time. If they are well looked after,kept in good repair & away from 'extreme' temperatures & humidity. They are after all,'next of kin' to Violins & could have the same longevity if cared for (IMHO),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

On a somewhat related note - there are two Stradivarius mandolins known to exist, one of which, the Cutler-Challen Mandolin, is on display at the National Music Museum of The University of South Dakota, Vermillion SD. Looks in good shape, no idea if it's playable. Surely NFS, but you can get a poster. The website has closeup views from all angles. They also have one of two extant Stradivarius guitars in their collection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StradMandolinposterLG.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	326.4 KB 
ID:	47106   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StradivarimandolinroseLG.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	156.7 KB 
ID:	47107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StradGuitar.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	47108  

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Remarkably,many of these old Violins,have little work done to them over the years,other than maybe a new & or re-placed/re-positioned sound post & tuning pegs.

Ivan
    I was under the impression that Stradivarius violins had been retrofitted with longer necks as the original necks were of the shorter "baroque" style. The new, longer necks contributed to higher string tension and greater volume as became the aesthetic during the "romantic" era. Perhaps someone can verify this information.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    I was under the impression that Stradivarius violins had been retrofitted with longer necks as the original necks were of the shorter "baroque" style. The new, longer necks contributed to higher string tension and greater volume as became the aesthetic during the "romantic" era. Perhaps someone can verify this information.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    I remember reading somewhere that there are only a handful - maybe as few as two - Strads with the original necks. (I'm guessing "reading somewhere" isn't quite the verification you were looking for - if I can track down an actual source I'll post it.)

[Hmm, can't seem to find a source for the "only two" info, but I have found several that claim there are no Stradivarius violins with their original necks, that all surviving examples had their necks replaced, as you noted, during the early 19th-Century to reflect the musical tastes of the Romantic Era.]
    Last edited by EggerRidgeBoy; Oct-28-2009 at 4:11pm.

I've heard something similar: the necks are replaced (along with the fingerboard) with a more gently sloping modern fingerboard. Apparently old baroque violin family instruments had steeper fingerboards.

Thanks for posting the article, Scott.

I don't know anything about what has been done to the Stradivariuses over the years, but the article caused me to think that music and its' instruments are like a stream that we dip into for a time then leave. It was here before us, and will be here after we are gone. Hope the Guarneri continues to be played

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    I've heard something similar: the necks are replaced (along with the fingerboard) with a more gently sloping modern fingerboard. Apparently old baroque violin family instruments had steeper fingerboards.
    Can't find a source specifying a general replacement/lengthening of Guarneri necks, but this article indicates that Paganini's Guarneri, the "Canon," has had its neck lengthened.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano View Post
    Hope the Guarneri continues to be played
    You can pretty much count on it. People who buy these instruments are most often investors who understand that if it doesn't get played it falls into disrepair and eventually becomes unplayable....and worth a lot less. That's why you see so many competitions where the young winner gets the use of a magnificent instrument for a period of time. It's a nice philanthropic thing to do but it also keeps the instrument in top sounding and playing shape which keeps it's value at the maximum. Too bad guitar collectors haven't figured this out and seem to value a pristine finish higher than something that plays and sounds great. When I think of all the unplayed D'Angelicos in glass cases turning into firewood it makes me wanna cry.
    jeff bonny