Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

Default Re: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

Gilchrist.

Based purely on the volume of mandolins produced divided by the quality and multiplied by the number of consecutive years building? Gilchrist.

The fact that we're able to have this discussion is evidence that we are indeed in "a"--if not "the"-- golden age of lutherie. The sheer number of superb independent makers listed so far is awe inspiring, as is the fact that Gibson is once again earning its previously stellar reputation for excellent acoustic instruments, not to mention other top-notch factory builders such as Collings and Weber and the Chinese contenders like Eastman and Jade plus the many fine Czech, French, and Brazilian makers.

When I first started playing mando in the mid '70s, really good mandolins were few and far between. Gibson's production was a joke and there were just a smattering of independent makers worth their salt. These days it seems like you have to go out of your way to find a clunker.

Certainly there were previous little golden ages for fretted instruments--19th C. Italy or Gibsons first golden years early last century, for example--but I don't think anything compares with the embarassment of riches we now enjoy.

I find it thrilling.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    This is the golden age of lutherie. You have builders all over the world. The list can grow as you add Sumi and all the builders in Europe. You've got a ton of small builders that are emerging in the US. There is no way to ever quantify this.
    I quite agree.

Also, with the constant sharing of information, and the availability of world class tools, the differences between whatever someone would call the top and the second to the top is very small. Its not like there is one maker laps ahead of everyone else.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Certainly there were previous little golden ages for fretted instruments--19th C. Italy or Gibsons first golden years early last century, for example--but I don't think anything compares with the embarassment of riches we now enjoy.

I find it thrilling.

Very much so.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Who makes the best mandolin? Seems to me it's kind of like asking who makes the best meatloaf.
    With all due respect, I believe the issue of who is the best loafier should be addressed in different thread.

Blog Entries

The beauty of the current situation is that you can find a mandolin that sounds great to you. And, in the end, isn't that the most important thing? Fortunately, the nature of the mandolin kind of reduces the junk to good ratio a lot more than for guitars. Buy the best mandolin you can afford for which you can hear a significant difference in quality of tone.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pickloser View Post
    With all due respect, I believe the issue of who is the best loafier should be addressed in different thread.

Don't get me going! Just because you are a meat worker, that does not make you a loafier. Meat working is not loaferie!

Exclamation Re: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

Never let your meat loaf!

Silverangel mandolins.

Maybe , since there are so many already mentioned , there should be a numerical ranking

by how high, above sea-level, their shops are?

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Crabtree View Post
    Now the question should be out of that list what would you choose to pick? This thread has now transformed itself somehow back to the original post. Job well done! If I had to choose, I would have to go with a Nugget or a Weins.
    After reading several uncomplimentary comments on the cafe forum (do a search), seems Mr. Weins has issues when it comes to customer service, meeting promised build times and one has to wonder about warranty? Maybe he builds a good mando, maybe not. I would think it takes more than that to be a considered a good builder, and not much less to be a bad one.

Kentucky KM174.

Well only because it and a rogue are all I've ever played.

That and I couldn't milk a sweet tone out of a perfect mandolin, if such a thing did exist.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga

Someone put Bob Givens on the list. He made good mandolins. I have one. But I believe he passed away quite a few years ago. So if he's still making mandolins, he's got to be the best.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!