Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

Default Re: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

I think Dawg's blackened headstock speaks volumes about the fact that he manages to be a businessman as well as a musician and speaks nothing about Gibson. I honestly think that if David and Gibson ever came to some sort of business deal that blackened headstock would go away. Just because he chooses not to indirectly endorse a brand name doesn't speak poorly of the company, it just means that he realizes he has something of value and doesn't want to give it away for free.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    If you are going to speak out about the wisdom of your silence, I am going to brag about the awesomeness of my humility.
    Oh, you want to get competitive, eh? I'll have you know I can out-humble you any day of the week! My humility would have killed a lesser man.

Mando content: Anybody who's ever heard me play will vouch that I'm extremely well qualified to be humble...

For those of us who play left handed (7 to 10 percent) we're always at the end of the queue for this kind of question. Namely, which top builders will toss us a few crumbs and provide a quality unit that is priced within reason, built as a perfect mirror image, and has as good a sound? Not many. Mostly low end like Kelly's. But I was lucky to find a preowned Yellowstone lefty F5 4 years ago with the custom "The Weber" on the headstock, and the MOP shield (not fern). (The righty fern version is now $4,965 at MB's, lefty would be higher.) But the righthander has features I sure would have wanted such as radiused neck and scooped extension and decent setup & volume. Someday I will investigate replacing and setting up the neck. This is more than just MAS; I call it MMAS - mando mods.

-Bob

I second Altman's. I have played many on these posts and the Altman's are my favorite...
    John A,
    Altman F5

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    I was just cracking wise about the way you phrased it.
    Ahh, sportin' with me eh?

As for us all building F5's because of the BIG G, if Big Bill had found a Larson bros Harp mandolin in a barbershop window, us builders would be building Larsons.

Hmm, Larson harp...not a bad idea...

Also, D. Grisman's electrical tape may have a lot to do with a sense of history and some playful irony, as much as anything to do with the modern company.

Just speculating.
    Last edited by San Rafael; Oct-26-2009 at 7:43am.

I would like to second fatt-dad's choice of Dr. Dave Cohen. If you ever have a chance to play a Cohen mandolin you will be simply floored from the fit and finish, to the weight (so light) of the mandolin, to most importantly the tone of the mandolin. I think he definitely deserve to high on the list.

I am going to through in another vote for Red Diamond mandolins as well. If you are looking for more of a loar sounding mandolin, Don MacRostie is the man to go to. He is building some amazing mandolins that seem as if they were built 60+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I think Dawg's blackened headstock speaks volumes about the fact that he manages to be a businessman as well as a musician and speaks nothing about Gibson.

Yes, I agree with you for the most part. We can speculate all day (or not hopefully) why. But for the sake of discussion... I respect the Dawg's opinion on his views of music, the industry, and modern culture. Gibson represents, to me at least, the corporate behemoth of the acoustic instrument world. Maybe it pertains to those types of issues. Not wanting to feed the corporate monster. Not dogging the instruments, just the idea. The best Gibson I've played though was an A9, it was nice.

What kind of money is he getting from Red Diamond and Giacomel? I don't think too much.

To get back on topic somehwat. I think the reason why Ronnie, Dawg, Thile play Loars are because they are Loars. They do not play the modern instruments. SO I don't think they are the top builder, not just for that fact but because of reasons I stated previously.

Not really trying to debate here. My 2nd post was tongue-in-cheek.

Peace,
    Joe

Blog Entries

Here's a point to ponder . . . it has been stated elsewhere that Reischman's Loar is the best sounding Loar on the planet. Now Don MacRostie has constructed six replicas of that instrument, so wouldn't that naturally follow that the Red Diamonds are at the top?

The problem with a discussion like this is that there are as many answers are there are people answering.

I like Gilchrist mandolins, but they are double the price of a Red Diamond, and in my own opinion, are not any better sounding. At least from the two or three Gils I have played.

So there you have it . . . no closer to a consensus than before.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia View Post
    ...you can get a Gibson ... or you can get a copy of a Gibson.

Your choice!
    Yep, there it is again, the reminder that all of us hand builders who purposefully analyze and design every detail of our mandolins can ultimately only aspire to approach a factory mass produced "original". (sigh...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob1300 View Post
    For those of us who play left handed (7 to 10 percent) we're always at the end of the queue for this kind of question. Namely, which top builders will toss us a few crumbs and provide a quality unit that is priced within reason...
    Here we are talking about factory instruments again. If you place a custom order from a hand builder (something pretty common for most hand builders, BTW) you can choose the neck shape, color, etc. etc. including left or right playing orientation. The great builders of "righty" instruments will mostly be the great builders of "lefty" instruments.

I don't really want to be in this thread, but to the OP's question:
    There are quite a few builders building great mandolins these days. Past a certain point of quality there is no better or worse, only different, and there are enough builders above that point that no one builder can be rightly said to build the best quality mandolins. The question then becomes; who consistently builds the most great mandolins, and records and statistics can answer that question.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia
    ...you can get a Gibson ... or you can get a copy of a Gibson.

Your choice!

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Yep, there it is again, the reminder that all of us hand builders who purposefully analyze and design every detail of our mandolins can ultimately only aspire to approach a factory mass produced "original". (sigh...)
    "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. Talkin' bout me and my guitar."

Dan Voight will undoubtedly become a great builder.

But first he has to graduate from the University of Michigan (their first mandolin major). His early instruments are superb and the science and dedication he brings to the field will be valued and sought after. Keep on eye on this Wolverine.

Bill Bailey

www.thebaileystrap

The best is in the ears of the beholder!

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    Lol. You can buy a Gibson, or a Gibson copy that is superior in just about every way.

What really bugs me is when people use Gibson slogans as justification for purchases. Only a Gibson is good enough? Not so much.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Blog Entries

I had heard an interesting story about that slogan. It may be true, or perhaps not.

Gibson actually did use the slogan: "Only a Gibson is Good Enough", in fact they used to put it on the peghead of some of their guitars.

The story I heard had a competitor advertising: "When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough". Rumor had it Gibson dropped the slogan shortly after that.

Like I said, it might not be true. But it is somewhat amusing.

Gotta love all of this! Sunburst, you are .. one funny man!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunburst

I find the whole discussion somewhat, I can't think of the right word, maybe silly. Never before have there been so many amazing mandolins with such an array of subtle tonal differences that can satisfy the most discerning ears. Why do so many people worry about the "best" and then ask others to tell them what it is?

Might be a silly discussion but damn it's giving MAS..... (thought I was cured......apparently not)

Want a nice F4 now.....
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

Blog Entries

I agree that it eventually boils down to what someone likes. In fact, most of the threads on our beloved board boil down to that. From one perspective, there's nothing to discuss. But, since we are human beings we will keep reaching and grasping for the one big truth, regardless of how many people (statistically speaking) find it.

I am in the camp of the first half of Mr. Hamlett's statement, in which he wrote that once we reach a certain point in quality, the quality is unquestionable. I could be very happy with any number of mandolins I've played.

When I went to IBMA a few years ago it was like mandolin heaven. The mandolins were there. The builders were there. I met Hans Brentrup and played four of his mandolins, which were all awesome. I met Sumi too, and Will Kimble, a Stelling for a second time. They were there with their instruments, and you know what? All of their instruments were great. I could own any single one of them and post on this board about how much they are on the top tier of instruments.

So, I own a custom Weber Fern, and I feel the same way about it. I favor it strongly which has as much to do with how great it is as wityh how long I have been playing it. In the middle of a song I know how that G string is going to ring out and how long it will sustain for. I know how piercing the E string sounds up on the 14th fret. I know how hard to strike it for either a woofy, abnoxious chop or something a little smoother and bassier. So, as you can see, my preference is my Fern. It's in that catagory of being great but with its own unique attributes.

Nice work, John Hamlett!
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

You tell 'em John!
    We don't make copies of "Gibsons". They sorta look like Gibsons because that's what you are all clamoring for. Looks ain't what it's about. You all might consider the independent (from Gibson) thought that we builders have put into our instruments over the years trying to make them sound better than G.
    If you like Gibsons, fine, go buy one, and I hope you get a good one. But don't put the rest of us builders in the box of making "Copies". Here's a clue...we don't like that.

Who makes the best mandolin? Seems to me it's kind of like asking who makes the best meatloaf.
    Tony Szczygielski

Blog Entries

i really like the breedlove mandolins(kim breedlove). Great mandolins at a reasonable price!!!
    Tone Gard

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    I am new to the world of mandolins and I am sure there are several if not many great mando makers today, but is there one maker who is arguably rated as the top living maker?
    This is the OP's original question. I guess it's safe to say "no" at this point.

No doubt there are many fine mando builders out there...Red Diamond's, Gilchrist and others are awesome. However, I do find it a bit disturbing that some are bashing Gibsons. I recently picked up a David Harvey built Fern that sounded to my ears as good as some of the 20K mandolins I have played. I just think that it is easy and sometimes fashionable to knock the big boys, but they are building fine mandolins once again and whether some want to admit it or not, the Gibson Loar design is what everyone is trying to imitate. All I am saying is let's give credit when it is due. That's just my 2 cents which is worth just that.
    08' Gibson Fern
    1964 Martin D-18
    www.potterswheelgospel.com