Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

Default Re: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gunning View Post
    Out of curiosity, at what price point would you put that level of craftsmanship? When do you think the differences move from substantive to "picking nits?"
    Let's keep the discussion to F5 mandolins so we kinda have a baseline for comparison. I think there are builders that are delivering $8-10K+ F5s that have the tone and fit and finish equal to the big four (Gil, Nugget, Dude, Monty). FWIW, I agree with the rest of what you said about those four builders. But that's not the end of the discussion.

There is no clear difference between "Good," "Better," and "Absolute Best." I've played Gils that fit into all three of those categories. A couple of them I would have had zero interest in owning. I've played some new Gibsons, a company I'm usually very critical of, and various mandolins by other makers that made me contemplate a second mortage. (As an aside, the best mandolin I've ever played was a blond Gil A5. Spectacular in every way!)

Does anyone remember those MandoTasting the the 'cafe sponsored a few times? Get ahold of one of those recordings and listen without looking at who made the mandolins. What your ears tell you may surprise you!
    (I concede that a recording doesn't always capture the true essence of an instrument and there are many other variables including feel, feedback to the player, etc)

This seems to assume that the person you're disagreeing with lacks the same experience. Probably not a good assumption, on this site of all places.
    You are assuming I made an assumption. How's that for convoluted?? All I want to get across is where my opinion comes from. This is a site composed of people that have a Rogue and have been playing for a week to people that have a Loar and have been playing for 40+ years. At times it's helpful for people to know the basis of an opinion rather than it just being "Cuz I said so." So I am not assuming you don't have the same experience. Clear as mud now??

So the only point I'm trying to get across is there are a lot of really good builders out there making great mandolins, some of whom are making instruments whose quality and tone is on par with the "big four." And I don't think stating that belief is disingenuous.

Blog Entries

I didn't read the second and third page of this thread because I experienced paralysis by analysis, but I do want to chime in on my favorite maker. In the end, I think all we can really say is who we like the best.

For me, I have always had an affinity for Weber mandolins. They were instrumental in helping me when I was getting ripped off by a dealer a few years ago, and they have been there for me as a great builder with great customer service.

That's all fine and good, but what ultimately seals the deal for me is the quality of my mandolin, which I am constantly reminded of every time I play it. I just love the thing, and have never played one I like better. It is loud, sonorous, easy to play, and beautiful.

Sound to Earth (Weber) will make virtually any customization you want, and will make your custom mandolin usually within four to six months from when you place your order. For example, my Fern has a red spruce top instead of a sitka top, and a one-piece back instead of their standard two-piece. It also has a pearl nut, a slightly custom finish, and a custom neck. For the custom neck I sent them my old mandolin, they made their measurements, and did an awesome job applying the measurements to my Fern. in fact, they made the neck I asked, changed a few things on it here and there, and then it was better than I anticipated.

Finally, you the price is great. It's expensive, yes. However, the quality of their mandolins, the incredible customer service, and the positive spiritual mojo you get with a Weber is why they are my builder of choice.

Hope this helps!
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I'd like to add Altman to the list.
    Sadee

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    Let's keep the discussion to F5 mandolins so we kinda have a baseline for comparison. I think there are builders that are delivering $8-10K+ F5s that have the tone and fit and finish equal to the big four (Gil, Nugget, Dude, Monty). FWIW, I agree with the rest of what you said about those four builders. But that's not the end of the discussion.

There is no clear difference between "Good," "Better," and "Absolute Best." I've played Gils that fit into all three of those categories. A couple of them I would have had zero interest in owning. I've played some new Gibsons, a company I'm usually very critical of, and various mandolins by other makers that made me contemplate a second mortage. (As an aside, the best mandolin I've ever played was a blond Gil A5. Spectacular in every way!)
    Can't argue with you there. In that range of quality, there are certainly mandos and makers equal in every respect to the big four. And even lower on down, some individual examples rise to that level (but not a majority). I've also played a good number of mandos by each of those makers, and some just didn't do it for me. Heck, a couple of the Loars I have played I thought were just "so-so." The best mandolins I have ever played are a Gil F5 and a 23 Loar. I think we agree more than we disagree, but I was just responding to the 36-name list you posted, including some makers who I would describe as "good," but not (with respect) at the very top of the profession and thought to myself "that doesn't answer the question." I realize that was just assembling the posts of other members, not so much your opinion as to the equality of all its members now.

All I want to get across is where my opinion comes from. This is a site composed of people that have a Rogue and have been playing for a week to people that have a Loar and have been playing for 40+ years. At times it's helpful for people to know the basis of an opinion rather than it just being "Cuz I said so."
    I've always wanted more people to state the basis for their opinions to weed out some of the armchair expertise, and when someone does so, I jump on 'em for it. That was both convoluted and unnecessary of me.

So the only point I'm trying to get across is there are a lot of really good builders out there making great mandolins, some of whom are making instruments whose quality and tone is on par with the "big four." And I don't think stating that belief is disingenuous.
    Agreed. Sorry for getting in your face for what seems, upon closer inspection, to be a pretty general agreement.

Are we talking about the "BEST" or everyone's personal "favorite"???

Best....objective.

Favorite...subjective

It seems to me that the only way to objectively define the true "best" is to determine who has produced the most successful body of work.

Take the total number of mandolin-related instruments produced and multiply them by the amount of money for which they were originally sold. Then add to that number all instruments that have been resold on the secondary (used) market. Whoever has the greatest dollar amount would be the true best.

I assume, by this criteria, no one would even come close to Gilchrist.

barry

Agreed. Sorry for getting in your face for what seems, upon closer inspection, to be a pretty general agreement.
    No worries man. It's all good!!

Just keep in mind this....
    Ronnie McCoury was playing a Gilchrist, but now plays a [blank]...
    Chris Thile trades off playing his Dudenbostel to play a [blank]....
    Apropos not much, maybe, but....

....."Just keep in mind this....
    Chris Thile trades off playing his Dudenbostel to play a [blank]...."

But also keep in mind the title of the thread is "top modern mandolin maker"...

not...."most desirable mandolin ever built".

barry
    Last edited by barry; Oct-24-2009 at 12:26pm. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by evanreilly View Post
    Just keep in mind this....
    Chris Thile trades off playing his Dudenbostel to play a [blank]....
    Apropos not much, maybe, but....
    But now you have Dawg who trades off his [blank] with a Giacomel or Red Diamond.

I just wanted to say blank.

Blog Entries

Beauty is in the eye, ear, and hands of the beholder, player. There are many choices these days at many price points.

History is written by the accumulation of many opinions over time and by those who have the most access to means of publishing what they deem as "history". What the truth is we'll never know. Have fun exploring in the mean time!

With all those names that have come up, over the discussion of this topic, is Paul Duff there? If not, add him.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    Or

The Wisdom of the Silent
    Those that are proud to own the instrument they have, play it, could give a rip about rating or endorsement, and rarely or never post on this site.
    If you are going to speak out about the wisdom of your silence, I am going to brag about the awesomeness of my humility.

Blog Entries

I agree with Hans and I could give a rip on this topic. Someone should print up some baseball cards with top mandolin makers and then we can trade them. I'll give you two Collings and a Gibson for your Gillcrest, O.K.? No? Well I'll throw in a Cole too. Larivee?

Better add Michael Kelly, Morgan Monroe, Johnson, and Rover, too.

Blog Entries

Johnson is Out of Vogue. Re-branded as Savannah. No longer a current builder.

Jamie
    who still has a Johnson Gibson A4 copy
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

JonZ, you misunderestimitize what I was trying to say...had nothing to do with your post. I know there are a lot of players out there with fine instruments that could care less to have their builder rated, or play an instrument that was endorsed by Horace Slidewell or Icky Raggs. I thought to add to your insight. Obviously I was not silent!
    Doug, I also agree with you, and your baseball card idea is a good one. One request...leave me out of the pack. You could put 'em in boxes of Cukoo-Bananas.

Just remember Hans, there's no such thing as bad publicity!

[QUOTE=fishdawg40;726930]But now you have Dawg who trades off his [blank] with a Giacomel or Red Diamond.

yes, because he has endorsement agreements with both makers and receives plenty of money from them as a result... if Dave had to keep only one instrument i'm pretty sure it would be one of his Loars... sorry to get off the subject here...

[QUOTE=Glassweb;726962]
    Quote Originally Posted by fishdawg40 View Post
    But now you have Dawg who trades off his [blank] with a Giacomel or Red Diamond.

yes, because he has endorsement agreements with both makers and receives plenty of money from them as a result... if Dave had to keep only one instrument i'm pretty sure it would be one of his Loars... sorry to get off the subject here...

I'm so glad you posted that.

b

Poor OP had no idea what he was getting into...we need a "can of worms" emoticon, with the lid partially opened but worms just spilling out...

And I'd like to thank some of the builders who've actually chimed in. Now, what would be interesting would be to see a list of what all of you guys would take home with you if you could all meet at a festival with an endless supply of each other's mandolins but could only leave with one...to either play or study. Same scenario for pickers considered "top tier" would be interesting, too.

Of course, the advice to play the best mando you can afford holds true regardless of the price point...
    Chuck

Ive had a lot of different brands, makers ..instruments in my hands and im not a top pro mandolin player, but the best Ive ever heard or played was John Rigsby's "A" model stewmac kit mando, put together in the 70's or 80's by his uncle. So my vote is for whomever cut out that mando kit ! Might have been Don Mcrostie?

Quote Originally Posted by Hans View Post
    JonZ, you misunderestimitize what I was trying to say...had nothing to do with your post. I know there are a lot of players out there with fine instruments that could care less to have their builder rated, or play an instrument that was endorsed by Horace Slidewell or Icky Raggs. I thought to add to your insight. Obviously I was not silent!
    Doug, I also agree with you, and your baseball card idea is a good one. One request...leave me out of the pack. You could put 'em in boxes of Cukoo-Bananas.
    I was just cracking wise about the way you phrased it.

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    Poor OP had no idea what he was getting into...we need a "can of worms" emoticon, with the lid partially opened but worms just spilling out...
    ----

Playing a funky oval-hole scroll-body mandolin, several mandolins retuned to CGDA, three CGDA-tuned Flatiron mandolas, two Flatiron mandolas tuned as octave mandolins,and a six-course 25.5" scale CGDAEB-tuned Ovation Mandophone.

Love mandola?
    Join the Mandola Social Group!

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP-GDLF5 View Post
    Of course, if it wasn't for the Gibson Co. and Lloyd Loar, there wouldn't be so many F-5 builders out there today.
    finally some wisdom! LOL!

yankee1 you can get a Gibson ... or you can get a copy of a Gibson.

Your choice!

[QUOTE=barry;726966]yes, because he has endorsement agreements with both makers and receives plenty of money from them as a result... if Dave had to keep only one instrument i'm pretty sure it would be one of his Loars... sorry to get off the subject here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post

I'm so glad you posted that.

b
    Like I said, I just wanted to say blank.

And to get further off the subject Gibson the builder now is not the same as Gibson the builder of Loars. I think Dawg's blackened headstock speaks volumes about the company.