Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

Blog Entries

Default Re: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

Who I would pick would depend on my budget. For me, an F5 would be 4rth or 5th on my list of dream instruments to own.

There are many talented builders still alive. We also have some young folks coming up who will soon warrant being included on that summary list (if not already).

To Yankees1, enjoy your Eastman. It's a fine instrument and should suffice for a while. However, what we need and what we want aren't always the same. I know my wants far outshine my needs.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bradshaw View Post
    It probably goes without saying, but I feel compelled to say it anyway. Lou Stiver.

Cheers,

Bill

Excellent builder! Jesse McReynolds has been playing a Stiver for many years.
    Molon Labe

Victor Smith (Flatbush instruments) is a very respected builder this side (Europe) of the Atlantic. And I couldn't agree more with Jestanek: What I want far outweighs what I need..I love my old plain Jane A40, but of course, if I stumbled upon a Loyd Loar in my grandmas attic, well...I would probably sell it

Maybe the builders that LL precided over should be regarded as the top ones?
    John

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Don't forget Bill Bussmann.

It's a heckuva long list....

mandolinist, Mixt Company D C Blood's Avatar

Out of product loyalty, I have to add Ken Ratcliff to that list. Never heard a Silverangel or Eagle that didn't sound top notch. Also I didn't see Tucker mentioned...
    D C Blood Mixt Company
    '96 Ratcliff Silver Eagle/Angel
    '09 Silverangel F5 distressed
    '09 Ratcliff A model distressed
    ..Blue Chip pick user...
    www.facebook.com/davidcblood
    www.facebook.com/silverangelmandolins
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=109 photo album url

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    You have no idea the will power it's taking not to get on that list!! If they were about a grand cheaper I'd be hooked like a trophy bass.
    dood, it's a keeper for sure and costing $1Grrrr out over 20 years, is $50 per year! get on that hook!

A couple of other ways to come up with an answer would be...

The Wisdom of the Herd
    Which modern instruments has the market determined are the "Top" based on the prices they command?

Or

The Wisdom of the Elites
    Which instruments do our most decerning players--the pros--use? This would only apply to instruments that they are not paid to play.

I don't really keep up on these things, so I wouldn't know which instruments these would be. Probably a lot of the ones on that long list.

It's a heckuva long list....

Indeed it is, Shaun! Somebody borrowing your name started that list this a.m.! (See post #3.)

Another for this list is Andy Poe.

Randy S.

The answer to your original question can be answered in the future when now is in the past. Even then considering the number of magnificent builders in the game there may still be a long list. Orville's genius was carving the top and back like a violin and of course arguably the costly strap hanger and body points. After Orville left the fine luthiers at Gibson were already producing some really great instruments when Lloyd got involved and seemed to guide the team in a direction that has put these mandolins at the top of the most valued list. Today there are many more builders and players but my best guess would be to follow the price tag that buyers are willing to pay as the best indicator but only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by kinnjohn View Post
    if I stumbled upon a Loyd Loar in my grandmas attic, well...I would probably sell it
    I would sell the attic, and keep the Loar.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

There is someone in China turning out amazing mandolins for Eastman and The Loar and Jade. Nobody knows their name(s), but whoever it is apparently turns out mandolins that make professionals say, "That sounds as good as my Gibson". Or so I've read.......

[QUOTE=JonZ;726735]
    "The Wisdom of the Herd"
    It's not about quantity here, but quality.

""The Wisdom of the Elites"
    The top players seem to be surprisingly less worried about "brand" and much more concerned about sound, feel and playability.

I thinkt he real test is time, which means one day we'll look back and see the answer that today may be (wonderfully) elusive. Viva variety!

He may not the best builder today, though maybe one that could be added to the list of modern builders is Bruce Taggart of Brown County Indiana. Just down the road from Bean Blossom.
    He is not as well known, but very high quality.
    His instruments are very well built and beautiful in form. He is meticulous in his fit and finish. His inlay is not just cut out, but also engraved. He is extremely picky about his woods and how they fit together.
    All of this and they just lay in your hands and scream to be played. You fingers simply fall into place. I think this is likely to the way he carves his necks. True, again, not as well known. But at just under 100 built, there are real works of art and sound.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

+1 on Lou Stiver - Great mandolins (sorry, really sorry, I sold my A-5)!

To add to the list, let us not forget Wayne Henderson - that's right, mandolins. I'm already on his list (for a guitar though).

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

So far we have:

Gilchrist
    Dudenbostel
    Nugget
    Monteleone
    Heiden
    Kimble
    Brentrup
    Ellis
    Red Diamond
    Mowry
    Phoenix
    Collings
    Hamlett
    Gibson
    Sumi
    Clark
    Sobell
    Giacomel
    Kelley
    Bulldog
    Copperhead
    Condino
    Wood
    Paganoni
    Daley
    Smart
    Woodley
    Givens
    Hutto
    Stanley
    Weber
    Mix
    Cohen
    Langdell
    Weins
    Apitius
    and.......
    and Gary Vessel, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Kimble View Post
    Gilchrist.

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com
    Welcome to the mandolin, Yankees1, you'll enjoy yourself for sure.

Mr. Kimble, who I would regard as being one of the top 5% (approximately) of makers, is in agreement with me. The top independent builder of american-style mandolins (I have no comment on bowlbacks) is Steve Gilchrist, when you factor in price point ($20-something k+ for an F5), tone quality, fit and finish quality, the sheer number of instruments of high quality produced (in the hundreds), as well as his ability to stand at the top of the heap in both F-hole mandolins and oval-hole mandolins.

Another top name is Lynn Dudenbostel, who made Chris Thile's longtime mandolin. His price point (around $30k last I heard) is higher than Gilchrist, but he has produced an order of magnitude of instruments fewer than Gilchrist. Also, he is not known for producing oval holes.

John Monteleone shared Gilchrist's position for a while, and still builds instruments to match those two in both price and quality, but his focus is primarily on archtop guitars now.

Mike Kemnitzer of Nugget Mandolins has a 20k+ price point, and has been producing consistently highest-quality instruments since the 70's. Also, not known for producing oval holes.

Those four are traditionally recognized as the top tier of individual builders today. Indicators of this quality they all share: 1) price point above 20k, 2) important professional musicians as players (both past and present), 3) well-known history of instruments of "top" quality.

Those four makers are the only builders that produce a 20k+ instrument (except Gibson's Distressed Master Model).

Saying that individual builders other than these four are widely recognized as the top is disingenuous. The market bears this out as indicated by the prices these makers command.

On this site, there is often the desire to spread the love around and not state that any one musician or builder is objectively superior to another. This is generally polite and appropriate, but don't let it blind you to reality. There are many fine builders on this site, and everybody will want to step in and plug friends or makers of their own personal instrument. But there is a clear difference between "good," "great," and "the absolute best."

my answer to the original question
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC160053__Small_.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	46979  

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Gunning View Post
    Saying that individual builders other than these four are widely recognized as the top is disingenuous. The market bears this out as indicated by the prices these makers command.

On this site, there is often the desire to spread the love around and not state that any one musician or builder is objectively superior to another. This is generally polite and appropriate, but don't let it blind you to reality. There are many fine builders on this site, and everybody will want to step in and plug friends or makers of their own personal instrument. But there is a clear difference between "good," "great," and "the absolute best."
    I couldn't disagree more. When you hit a certain level of craftsmanship, you are absolutely picking nits about the differences. And he who commands the highest price isn't always the "best." I've had the good fortune to have my hands on the majority of mandolins listed in this thread and I can tell you from first hand experience there are generally many more similarities than differences.

One of the sweetest mandolins I have ever heard is an Apitius, fwiw.

Although one of my favorite pickers is all about the Nugget.

In your all's search for THE tone, what mandos have you come across personally.

Thumbs up Re: Top Modern Mandolin Maker

of all the currently built mandolins i've played i'd say that i've been most impressed by the tonal quality of Will Kimble's instruments...

I couldn't disagree more. When you hit a certain level of craftsmanship, you are absolutely picking nits about the differences. And he who commands the highest price isn't always the "best."
    Out of curiosity, at what price point would you put that level of craftsmanship? When do you think the differences move from substantive to "picking nits?"

I've had the good fortune to have my hands on the majority of mandolins listed in this thread and I can tell you from first hand experience there are generally many more similarities than differences.
    This seems to assume that the person you're disagreeing with lacks the same experience. Probably not a good assumption, on this site of all places.

I'd put my Kimble up against anything I've heard, regardless of price. However, I agree that Gil is at the top of the list.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Kate Smith said that she had God Given talent. I think this applies to the builders meantioned. Developed through experience, reputation built by the instruments and the customer's appreciation for quality.

If I have talent for something, it doesn't signify if I am the only person that says so.

Quote Originally Posted by JonZ View Post
    A couple of other ways to come up with an answer would be...

The Wisdom of the Herd
    Which modern instruments has the market determined are the "Top" based on the prices they command?

Or

The Wisdom of the Elites
    Which instruments do our most decerning players--the pros--use? This would only apply to instruments that they are not paid to play.

I don't really keep up on these things, so I wouldn't know which instruments these would be. Probably a lot of the ones on that long list.
    Or

The Wisdom of the Silent
    Those that are proud to own the instrument they have, play it, could give a rip about rating or endorsement, and rarely or never post on this site.