Thread: Orientation of back wood

Default Orientation of back wood

I know this question must have been answered before but searches haven't given me an answer yet. When a piece of book matched maple back wood is opened up does it make a difference other than aesthetics which side becomes the outside or the inside of the back ? As far as strength of the arch or any other problems such as carving etc? I hope this question and my wording make some sense. Thanks for any advice.
    Dave
    Heiden A, '52 Martin D-18, Taylor 510, Carlson Custom A with Electronics

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Orientation of back wood

If you split a wedge, one side will be more nearly flat than the other after it's split. What you want is the grain to be as nearly quartered as possible. This is what seems to produce the best tone and strength. I am speaking of tops here. For a back, I don't think it matters nearly as much.
    Be aware, too, that bookmatching will result in different play of light on the two halves of the wood. For that reason, some people slip match the two pieces, rather than bookmatch them.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billhay4 View Post
    bookmatching will result in different play of light on the two halves of the wood. For that reason, some people slip match the two pieces, rather than bookmatch them.
    Bill
    Ah! I've often wondered why sometimes the quilts or flames don't line up.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I put that question to Wayne Henderson 2 years ago and he thinks that grain orientation is important for the back.
    The picture below shows his preference in grain orientation. The outline is drawn for a right handed mando. You can see the end grain orientation forming a V shape orientation with the point of the V to the inside of the mando back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BackGrain.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	46971  
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”