Thread: Can Some Pickers Donate a Little Time?

Registered Something good_ol_al_61's Avatar

I have been chosen to coordinate the last reunion for the 709th Tank Bn (WWII) that will ever be held. My father was one of the original members of the 709th when it was formed at Fort Benning near Columbus, GA. All of these men are in their 80's and can no longer travel easily. So this is it.

We will be meeting Sept 30 through Oct 3, 2004 at the Wyndham Hotel in downtown Columbus. Saturday afternoon about 1pm to about 5 pm would be great, but other times would be suitable also. We are having our parting dinner at 6pm that Saturday with the presenting of the colors, a short history talk given followed by some parting comments from the men.

This was just a thought, to get a picker or two (or a small band) to lighten the mood. It will be very somber when they start remembering the fellowmen that have passed.

I remember Dad talking about bluegrass starting up when he was a young man. Big Mon was just getting started when Dad was getting out of his 6 years in the war. But Dad liked Reno and Smiley and Flatt and Scruggs the best. I remember later on in the 70's he heard this new band, "The Country Gentlemen" and he would sit for literally hours listening to songs that feature the Dobro. Dad also made a hard decision when I was young. Porter Wagner and Jean Shepard came to the house. Porter asked Dad to be his guitar player! Dad kindly refused beacuse he didn't want to be on the road while raising me. I remember him coming to visit once in a while afer that. Besides, Bluegrass is all that was allowed in the house when I was young...and I'm really glad.

Anyway, please excuse my rambling. But, please let me know if anyone is interested and I'l make sure the venue is ready. Contact me via my email: good_ol_al@msn.com

Al Henderson
    Jacksonville, FL

"Only two kinds of people never make mistakes: Dead people and people that do nothing!" [Al's Dad]

'81 Gibson F5L Fern, J Rowland
    '07 Arches A Style #11, "Hoss"

Al,

You and your dad sound like good people.

My picking would not be befitting this group (or any other for that matter), but I could pitch in some money or something to pay a band if that becomes necessary.

My dad -- who would have been 80 this year -- was in the Coast Guard, but it's all the same.

Good luck. #Let me know if I can help -- I'm in Atlanta.

hoytmonster@aol.com

I would love to, but I am too far away. It is a great cause and I wish you well with it.

BTW, my band has volunteered to play at the USS Arron Ward reunion. The Ward was the destroyer chronicled in the book "Brave Ship, Brave Men." In the Spring of 1945, in the space of only one hour, this little ship was attacked by 11 kamakazies. They shot down five, but six of them hit the Ward. Through incredible seamanship, the Ward stayed afloat and most of the crew survived. If those guys want to hear me play, I am there.

Sounds like there could be a TV story in this meeting... can you e-mail me?

chris.cantergiani@wsbtv.com

Thanks!

Chris

God Bless You and good luck in organizing this.

WW11 Vets are some of the finest folks I have ever met. They understand a sense of community and selflessness long forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by (steve in tampa @ Aug. 27 2004, 17:17)
    God Bless You and good luck in organizing this.
    all I can do is repeat the other poster, god bless, my dad and his 2 brothers did it and there is not enough we can do for those that had to uproot their lifes for years so that we can live the life we have . I hope that your function goes very well !

Wow! Kudo's to you for taking this on, those men should get all the respect they deserve!

There are so few vets left from that era...well our country was a different time and a different place.

My father was a Pearl Harbor survivor and I grew up learning what a pivotol point in our history that was, combined with the Korean campaign.

Thanks you for your time in this area, as I have stated those men deserve the recognition!
    Silverangel EconoA
    Breedlove Quartz FF
    JBovier Tradition

I want to thank all of you for your kind board responses. Also, I have had many personal responses not shown on the board, I want to thank all of those wonderful people also.

It really gives me a good feeling that all of you have been so encouraging to me in this project. There have been no pickers yet to volunteer, but I really wasn't counting on anyone with such short notice. Also Columbus, GA is not a booming metropolis nor is close to any large city. I was just trying this board as a shot in the dark.

It has been interesting to learn that this is not a new idea. Many pickers and bands have donated their time and skills to benefit WWII Vets and I'm sure other vet groups also.

There have been some of you offer to send money in support and I will let the Vets know who you are. They still need to be reassured that what they did was important. This string has even spawned interest in possibly doing a TV story on these brave men as they have thier last Hoorah. I know, beyond a shadow of any doubt, that if there was anyone who could come, they would. All of you mando players are "stand-up" people. I just hope I can be a small part of you guys that carry on the tradition of being a true gentleman.

My Best to all of you. Al Henderson

Al Henderson
    Jacksonville, FL

"Only two kinds of people never make mistakes: Dead people and people that do nothing!" [Al's Dad]

Hey Al if I was closer I would play but I am in Virginia. And also I am half Japanese too so I don't know how well THAT would go over #

But my grandfather (the American one) was in the war and he held no ill will to the Japanese people and he knew it was the military and the politicians over there who started the war.

Al are there any music stores in your area? All the ones around my way have bulletin boards to leave messages on. I would post a request on it and see if anyone might like to play.

Also check out area churches and see if there are any contemporary Praise Bands, many of them love to play outside the church and because most Contemporary Christian music is acoustic music many players know bluegrass, old time, folk songs and stuff guys from your dad's generation might like.

Al it sure is a blessing that your Dad is one of the ones able to go. My Dad right now is in pretty bad shape from the effects of Agent Orange from his 2 tours in Vietnam. He had a Battalion Reunion a while back but couldn't go because the junk they sprayed on the folliage is effecting his eyes now and is about 85% blind now.

But I'm not complaining cause I am just happy that he is here with us and still cussin and kicking!

Good luck hope your reunion is a success!

Al,

I hope all works out for you. What a great thing to do and be a part of. Both my parents are WWII veterans. Earlier this year I had the singular opportunity to work as part of the production team for the WWII Memorial dedication in D.C. and it was an experience I will never forget. There were so many WWII veterans around and they were (are), as Tom Brokaw says, the Greatest Generation. I was amazed at how many of them showed up wearing their old uniforms. I don't think I could still fit in clothes I wore when I was 20. This will be a special experience for you, enjoy it. I wish I could help, but I'm too far away.

Thank you Jim and Charlie. Your suggestions and encouragement mirror many other comments I have received from others over the past week or so. I have even received money from a few of our fellow Cafe'rs! To that kind gesture a HUGE thank you humbly goes out. I know your grateful heart compelled you to do so. You will be recognized at the reunion. But I am not asking for donations. Just a little time if you are in the area and can do so.

Al Henderson
    Jacksonville, FL