Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic Amps

Default Re: Acoustic Amps

Just a quertion on acoustic amps - has anyone tried/tested the lower end of the market for a Beringer ULTRACOUSTIC ACX1800 or 900 amp?? Yes its cheaper, but is it worth the money and is it an option for the cash strapped out there ( like me) lol? They are big in watts department - 180 and 90 but not sure on the quality of output nor on the carrying weight of the amp.
    Allan Midgley

Hi avoid Behringer completely. if you want something budget try a Kustom Sienna. very impressive for the dollars sounds decent and will be far superior and last longer.

Destroyer of Mandolins

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to avoid Behringer completely. There's a lot of gear under that label. Some of it is remarkably good and a real bargain for the money. Some of it is trash. Anyone considering Behringer would do well to find a site like Musician's Friend/Music 123 and check out the customer reviews very carefully for a specific item. Lots of variability in that line, but there are some real gems.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

My picking friend got a Big A** Beringer acoustic Amp , he has to put it in front of him because It feeds back like crazy with the condenser Mic he got first,
    Because that works for singing and playing into, at same time .

[my Roland AC60 has a simple feedback suppression circuit, on, it doesn't feed back, when I sit it next to me , and weighs a lot less]

Now he wants something else.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Destroyer of Mandolins

'Droid, I'm not sure I understand. If you take a large amp, stand in front of it with a condenser mic at waist level, and crank it up, wouldn't you expect feedback? Does that have anything to do with it being a Behringer product, or would it happen any amp that lacks a supressor circuit? It doesn't sound like it's bad because it's a Behringer, it sounds like a miss-application.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

6. The following members say thank you to Tim2723 for this post:

Jim 

Could be Feldspar brand, just saying it could have the Phantom power and lots of watts on paper, but omit the easy enough for a guy that works a day job at the Sawmill to figure out ... feedback suppression ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Allan, what's your application for the amp? Is this for playing at home, playing out as a solo gig, or playing in a band? How many people do you need to reach, and in what size rooms? Don't buy more amp than you need.

I did a gig last weekend at a coffeehouse/bar where our trio played "acoustically" without our PA system. I just used my little AER Alpha amp (12" x 12" cube, 15 lbs.) to boost the mandolin slightly, so it could be heard along with the fiddle player. A large acoustic amp would have been overkill for that situation. My personal preference is either for very small and lightweight acoustic amps, or else going for the full PA (which itself is fairly compact). I don't have much use for big, heavy acoustic amps, but your situation may be different.

Anyway, note that the Behringer ACX1800 weighs 40 lbs. That's a lot of weight to schlep around. It's 8 lbs. heavier than the 1000 watt powered speakers we use for our compact PA system. The Behringer ACX900 isn't much better at 37 lbs. The ACX450 is 29 lbs., that's getting into a more practical weight range (IMO), but still seems on the heavy side to me. A Roland AC60 by comparison is 22 lbs. AER makes very nice, lightweight acoustic amps but they're made in Europe and therefore expensive here in the USA.

For an inexpensive, lightweight amp I like the Ultrasound Amps line. The little AG30 weighs only 20 lbs., includes a feedback notch filter, and you can get it for around $200 USD street price. If you need more power, the AG-50 or CP-100 (50 watts and 100 watts, respectively) are available for more money. However, once you need something like a 100 watt acoustic amp, I think you're getting into the zone where a compact PA makes more sense, both for power and room coverage (i.e. more than one speaker location).

On the Behringer quality issue, I think they make a few decent signal processors, but I would personally avoid Behringer for "mission critical" components like amps, speakers, and anything with jacks that are frequently plugged and unplugged. Those are the failure points for gear that's constantly being dragged out on the road for gigs. I like to see a higher build quality than Behringer for those things, and also a longer warranty, when available.
    Last edited by foldedpath; Oct-13-2009 at 1:14pm. Reason: typo

Thanks for the information, all help gratefully received........ I play at a new church that has not yet started building the church. They have to use three different venues at the moment while we rise the money to get things started. The venues are so different and numbers are from 60 to 150 people.
    So..... we have an 8 channel PA that is shared with three singers the pastor, a bassest,guitarest and violin. The pastor plays violin too (not when preaching).
    There is no monitors and both bass and guitar players use their own amps.
    My setup is a homemade 5 string baritone mando ( strat pickups) running through a Behringer 2x60watt vampire amp. But my acoustic mando has a Fishman bridge pickup and at the moment I run it through the same amp on the preamp setting. This of course gives me a monitor and volume but not even an average sound, so I am not happy playing that way at all.
    The amp will need to be monitor and mains at the same time.
    Allan Midgley

Behringer can be functional when it works...

We bought a Kustom Sienna (30w would probably be enough you) to meet an artist spec about 12 months ago. (pro-audio/backline produstion company)
    the spec was actually for a SWR cali. Blonde, but the Kustom did the job really well and kept the client happy. We were really impressed with the sound of the Sienna, especially considering the price. okay sonically its not an AER amp, but nor is it anywhere near the price.

Tricky question on amps. I have spent a lot of time and money in the last year trying to figure this out. Try before you buy as each pick up/mando combo plays slightly a little differently.

I had a Roland AC 60 and loved the sound but needed a just little more volume, I traded for an AC90 and did not like the sound reproduction at all on my set up. AC 90 has different speaker then the AC 60 and I think a slightly different driver.

I traded the AC 90 for keyboard type amp

I used the Roland K150, I liked the sound reproduction up to about 1/2volume but I did not like how it reproduce at the upper 1/3 of the volume range ( for my set up) ( speaker issue I think on this lower end model). I moved to a Traynor K1 and love it.

Consider giving the keyboard amps at try as they are designed to reproduce a full spectrum of sound and normally have the same mulitple in/out combinations as small pa's.

Good luck

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

My assessment on the "B" issue... The general theme with Behringer gear is that it often doesn't sound quite as good as the good stuff (remember we're talking finer points here, the average listener can't tell) and it's got a LOT of features for the money... BUT, it's generally not particularly durable. If it's going to stay in the same place most of the time and it's all you can afford, give it a shot, if you're going to do heavy gigging, look elsewhere.
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Basic "BACK PORCH" picker. ( They don't allow me on the front porch).

I have the Roland AC-90 and it works great. The Breedlove Legacy FF has built-in K&K dual pickups.

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I've now changed to the ZT Acoustic Lunchbox (200W) and am very pleased with it. Excellent sound in small and very portable package.

I run an Acoustic Image Corus for both fiddle and mandolin. Sometimes, its fiddle and vocal. Tons of power, a very good DI to run to a PA when needed plus phantom power and digital effects. The sound is incredibly transparent and I typically use a DPA4099v for input or a Shure SM57Beta when the case calls for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10462389_675125342575169_511216314565764021_o.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	126976

I had a Roland AC 60 and loved the sound but needed a just little more volume, I traded for an AC90 and did not like the sound reproduction at all on my set up. AC 90 has different speaker then the AC 60 and I think a slightly different driver.
    Yea The90 is a 2 way speaker pair per channel , with a crossover per,
    60 just uses 2 smaller speakers to handle the full range.

I have an AC 60
    I can add boost in an EFX loop out the back, to a Y'Ha DG stomp pedal Preamp
    then Back in again thru the 2 Inputs .
    has some interesting subtile Reverb mic Emulator processes in it.

Also A Pre Out to a Basic Power amp , and another Set of speakers
    can also be used .

that 'stack Of Marshalls', if you Wish.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I liked my Roland AC-60 until I played through my friends Fishman Loudbox Artist. That is what I use now.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FeRzMgodTgwAVg
    willi

Just so everyone is clear and understands. My opinion is the only right one and I am never wrong......

Just kidding of course. But I'm thinking about one of the new Roland Street Cube ex models. Are those things rechargeable or do need regular batteries all the time ? Anybody got one that can advise ?
    Thanks in advance.

I've used many rigs in my career. The best I've found by far for mandolin and fiddle is the Genz Benz Shenandoah compak 300 series. I have played: Polytone, Jbls, AER, Roland 60s and 90s, Fishman sticks and loadboxes, Fender Twin and Vibrolux, Bose, Kustom, Carvin, Trace Elliot, and several others. Unfortunately Genz Benz sold out to Fender and you have to search ebay to find them, but they are the best I've used with NO preamp! I've used to used Baggs, Rane and Fishman preamps. They are all dwarfed by the Genz's pre. The more things you try will tell you what works best for you.
    Cheer,
    Shelby

Another vote for Acoustic Image although I use the Coda. I have used the AER Compact 60 for years but have never been to totally happy with it. The main advantage of the Coda is that it's equally as happy with bass as it is with mandolin.

Are those things rechargeable or do need regular batteries all the time ?
    they use AA batteries , get a Bunch of them They take 6 at a time. , rechargeable and a Battery charger .

I dont own one but I can read the Specifications on their website http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/900/specs/

Power supply "DC 9 V: AC Adaptor or Dry Battery (LR6 (AA) type)(optional) x 6"

so Buy a dozen rechargeable batteries If you are not going to plug in the wall wart .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Eicher View Post
    I've used many rigs in my career. ...snip...The more things you try will tell you what works best for you.
    Cheer,
    Shelby
    YES! Also, acoustic amplification (particularly stage amplification) is one of the most intricate and subjective equipment areas for stringed musicians. Everything in the chain has a substantial effect, and there is no way of telling how changing any one link in the chain will affect the overall sound. One top of these complexities is the fact that no two listeners hear the same thing...What sounds wonderful to me might sound awful to you (and vice versa).

As Shelby suggests, try as many gear combinations as you can, and settle on the one that sounds the best to you.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

24. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RAGZDADDY View Post
    I'm thinking about one of the new Roland Street Cube ex models. Are those things rechargeable or do need regular batteries all the time ? Anybody got one that can advise ?
    I also like the look of the Street Cube EX - much more power available than the street cube, but also battery powered. 8 x AA batteries: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1317/456
    anyone using one?

Quote Originally Posted by jonny250 View Post
    I also like the look of the Street Cube EX - much more power available than the street cube, but also battery powered. 8 x AA batteries: http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1317/456
    anyone using one?

One of these is on my short list. For I largely Busk these days. Lot's of good reports from folks I am aware of using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Eicher View Post
    I've used many rigs in my career. The best I've found by far for mandolin and fiddle is the Genz Benz Shenandoah compak 300 series. I have played: Polytone, Jbls, AER, Roland 60s and 90s, Fishman sticks and loadboxes, Fender Twin and Vibrolux, Bose, Kustom, Carvin, Trace Elliot, and several others. Unfortunately Genz Benz sold out to Fender and you have to search ebay to find them, but they are the best I've used with NO preamp! I've used to used Baggs, Rane and Fishman preamps. They are all dwarfed by the Genz's pre. The more things you try will tell you what works best for you.
    Cheer,
    Shelby
    WOW ! That's an reasonably impressive list. Keep going and you'll catch up to my career and land on the Trace Elliot TA200 as well. lol

But I have also found it useful to take a team of sound engineers to each and every gig with me and do stringent testings of multiple different amps to suit that venue. Then just leave that amp at the venue so next time I don't need to carry one and know perfection is awaiting my arrival. After about 20 years of that. One finds there is little to no need to ever carry an amp again.

(all in jest of course)

As for any and all of the Fishman amps, I've only one word to offer. " PURE JUNK".
    I went through the Fishman phase in about three short days. I made the mistake of listening to some players known to consume fair bit of spirits during their gigs and dove into the Fishman thing on their endorsement. MY MY. I never heard cheesier sounding amps that sounded more like a speaker in a paper box. At least the effects were so awful it gave me a reason to laugh. lol.
    JUNK tip to tail.

As bad a rep as Behringer has made a point to give itself, at least they are built cheap and admit it in the price point. Where Fishman is equal sketchy, but at a price.