Thread: Collings MF5V Deluxe vs an Ellis MF

Default Collings MF5V Deluxe vs an Ellis MF

Price is pretty much the same, and not being able to play both, I wonder if someone here has played both and could define the differnces generally.
    I know everyone one hears tone differnt and we all have our "TONE" we hunt, but Im looking for a special bluegrass Mandolin, cut/volume/tone and playability.
    If you have an opinion I would sure appreciate hearing it.
    Thanks.................jstout

Default Re: Collings MF5V Deluxe vs an Ellis MF

I've never seen an Ellis MF, I thought he just made one model.

I got a chance to play both a varnished Collings MF5 with "The Collings" on the headstock, a Ellis F5, and a Hutto F5 at Smokey Mountain Guitars, what a great store by the way. I was very impressed with the Collings, it was very easy to play and look at (it had an amazing one piece back). However, the Ellis had a more powerful chop and a more balanced tone. Every note was crystal clear all he way up the neck. The Ellis at the time (I now own that Ellis) didn't appear as loud as the Collings, but it has opened up very nicely and has quite a bit of volume. I've never played a mandolin that has as much sustain as this one does, it rings for days. I would describe its tone as being a little darker than the Collings. The Collings was brighter, with more mid to high range. But, overall the Ellis just appealed to my ear more and the Ellis' finish is just out of this world. The Hutto was very nice, but the neck really didn't suit my hands and even if I had the money to buy it (something like $22k) I think I would have still walked away with the Ellis. I also thought the Collings had a better tone than that particular Hutto. The Collings may suit your bluegrass needs better, but the Ellis can do bluegrass and more. Just my 2 cents, that's about all i got left now, but it was so worth it!
    "They say the ocean, she is a woman, who waits for her man to come home." M.Houser

I started a thread with the same topic about five years ago. Somebody smarter than me could probably post a link. Sine then I've owned two of each. Here's the poop; the Collings has better highs, the Ellis rounder, the Cloongs has a v shaped neck, the Ellis rounded, fit and finish is the same both great. Neither are straight up traditional sounding. If you like strong highs go Collings. If you like a darker, poppy sound go Ellis.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Sorry for the typos, I'm on an iPhone.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

I believe you are right it is a F5 model that Ellis makes........thanks

JS - I'm assuming, that you're having trouble finding an Ellis to play. Give Tom a call. I know he can put one in your hands. PM me if you need his number.

Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    Price is pretty much the same, and not being able to play both, I wonder if someone here has played both and could define the differnces generally.
    I know everyone one hears tone differnt and we all have our "TONE" we hunt, but Im looking for a special bluegrass Mandolin, cut/volume/tone and playability.If you have an opinion I would sure appreciate hearing it.
    Thanks.................jstout
    I think you answered your own question. Ellis. Nothing against Collings, I feel the Ellis Hits the BG mark.

Quote Originally Posted by doc holiday View Post
    JS - I'm assuming, that you're having trouble finding an Ellis to play. Give Tom a call. I know he can put one in your hands. PM me if you need his number.
    Doc, I have played a couple of T.Ellis mandolins, now I want to play the Collings, would be pretty nice if I could find both in one place but not much chance of that especially in a reasonable distance.
    This is likely to be my last mandolin purchase so taking it slow.
    Thanks men for the good advice

If you find yourself a Collings MF5 with an engelmann top and birdseye back you will get a nice surprise. You can also have them make you a more rounded neck. Just ask. They do very nice custom work. I have played a handful of Ellis'. Tone is a bit dark for me. But it's all subjective.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Being in the Hill Country youre close to both, I'd have to think a visit to each could easily be arranged.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Quote Originally Posted by pjlama View Post
    Being in the Hill Country youre close to both, I'd have to think a visit to each could easily be arranged.
    I been looking and I don't think there is a Collings MF5 Deluxe in Austin or San Antonio, there is a nice Ellis at Fiddlers Green.

Go to the Collings factory in Austin.
    Last edited by Mike Bunting; Sep-23-2012 at 2:31pm.