Thread: Good beginner book for Italian Mandolin music?

Default Good beginner book for Italian Mandolin music?

Just looking for recommendations on a good intro to Italian style Mandolin book, as a change up from my method books and Celtic, love that tremolo romantic sound!
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

Default Re: Good beginner book for Italian Mandolin music?

I can recommend "Southern Italian Mandolin Music" by John T. Barbera and "Northern Italian and Ticino Music" by Carlo Aonzo et al. Both on Mel Bay.

Neither are tutors or "beginner" books but do contain many helpful notes, and tunes are in both standard notation and tablature.

There are several tunes in the Barbera book that would not be beyond a beginner and the accompanying CDs for both books, particularly the Aonzo, make great standalone listening.

They make you *want* to play these melodies. It's all very accessible.

3. The following members say thank you to Bren for this post:

Brandon if you have not discovered it yet, there is a social group interested in Italian music. I also second Mr. Barbera's book.
    My Uncle's Stella
    The Loar 600

"I've suffered for my music-now it's your turn."--Neil Innes

Prima,

I would also check out Antonio Colsolara videos on you tube he is an Italian Manolin instructor - and also just listen to some of the old Dean Martin, Loui Prima, Al Martino, Lou Monte, Jerry Vale, Connie Francis CD's or look them up on you tube as well - they may not show you notes but eventually you will be able to figure out what they are doing or pick out the melodies. learn to do tremolo, you may want to get some Golden Gate picks on Amazon - they are thicker and not as pointed, better for playing tremolo.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Our friend, Sheri Mignano's, book Mandolin Melodies is perhaps the most comprehensive collections of Italian ballo liscio music as well as most of the 'classics', e.g. Santa Lucia, O Mio Babbino, Torno a Sorriento, O Sole Mio, as well as a wide range of Neapolitan songs. Not "easy" but accessible to any range of player and highly recommended--Sheri is a historian of the Italian mandolin scene in San Francisco, a great musician, a great arranger and a real sweetheart as well.

You can get it directly from Sheri (highly recommended)

Zighi Baci

or from Elderly.

John La Barbera's books are great, including his newer book "Italian Folk Music for the Mandolin" from Mel Bay. These books concentrate on music from the folk tradition, however, with simpler, yet very evocative songs.

If you are into tremolo check out Bruce Zweig's site dedicated to the music of Matteo Casserino

MP3 and Bruce's transcriptions of Matteo's music (and others that he played.)

Finally, if you are really into tremolo check out the playing of Gus Garelick with the Hot Frittatas

Gus is a great mandolinist, who is channeling the tremolo of Tony Flores

See if you can turn up a copy of Tony's CD Ricordi di San Vito His tremolo playing is extraordinary light, effortless, and altogether amazing. I've been obsessed with copying it since I've first heard him.

buon divertimento

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

Some great ideas, I am interested in Italian mandolin music myself, though I am also just a beginner.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."