Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women of The Mando's

I was sitting here listening to my whole.. dern mando CD collection, When It hit me, You never hear of many Women Mandolinists? #I think Ive read a thread about this somewheres, Cant remember Where though. I was Just Curious, Can You name Any?
    #The Only one I can think of, right on the spot is Rhonda Vincent... no throwing things at me please..
    "Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig Van Beethoven

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

There was a girl here in N.C. (can't remember her full name but she was named Ashley...I think it was Ashley) that Jason Burleson taught and she totally ripped it. Triplet queen!
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

How about Sonya Isaacs of the Isaacs Family
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

There are many in the world of classical mandolin:

Marilyn Mair, Alison Stephens, Gertrud Tröster, Carmen Thiergärtner...

Blog Entries

Marilyn Mairr

Becky Smith

Rhonda Vincent

Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Women and the Mandolin (Mandozine Article) - see the long list provided at the end of article.

2002 Gibson Steffey F5 Brian Baker's Avatar

Sierra Hull can flat tear it up! And she is only 12 or 13 I think...

-Brian
    *We* are the music makers... and *we* are the dreamers of dreams.

2002 Gibson Adam Steffey F5
    http://www.highway81bluegrass.com

...Dorina Frati, Caterina Lichtenberg, Edith Bauer-Slais, Elfriede Kunschak, Marga Wilden-Hüsgen...

and, for the sake of your linking pleasure, Marilynn Mair, Alison Stephens, Gertrud Tröster...

Dawn Watson (formerly of Country Gazette)
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Hey All,

Whenever Women and Mandolin come up I can't help but think of my favorite pretty go go dancer - high energy mandolin player - now apparently a Minister - who when she was young could have given Thile speed lessons - Donna Stoneman!

Take Care! -Ed-

Donna Stoneman.
    (I was in a band that opened up for the Stonemans at a festival years ago...they were all extremely talented musicians and super nice folks to boot!)
    RedLine A-5 #14
    Howard Morris Flat Top #337
    1936 Gibson A-50

I read an interesting article earlier in the week (in Wired I think) about women as guitar heros and why there are not many, or any actually. Women are given a lot of ####, treated poorly, and get discouraged. Bluegrass probably isn't as bad as rock, and there are quite a bit of family bluegrass bands so there are women out there. But there aren't any who are raved about like Monroe, Bush, Grisman, Thile, Jethro, etc that I can think of off hand. Look at all those old mandolin postcard, mostly women I think. Something changed.

I think this next generation coming up will "produce" more women. I (only being a youth) am around more youths like myself and lots of my friends(girls and guys) are getting into mandolin music and am saving up for them. With new music styles out with the mando -such as Thile-it's getting a little more popular. Especially jazz and blues styles. So expect more to come all you guy mandolin freaks!!!

I think this next generation coming up will "produce" more women. I (only being a youth) am around more youths like myself and lots of my friends(girls and guys) are getting into mandolin music and am saving up for them. With new music styles out with the mando -such as Thile-it's getting a little more popular. Especially jazz and blues styles. So expect more to come all you guy mandolin freaks!!!

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

There are at least two fine female mandolinists in Indiana who play in Irish sessions: Jenny Thompson of Indianapolis, (oh, -three-!), Crystal Bailey and Genny Williamson in Bloomington.

stv

OO, this is Interesting, The Next generation will be cool...
    "Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by (JeffS @ Aug. 25 2004, 23:35)
    ...But there aren't any who are raved about like Monroe, Bush, Grisman, Thile, Jethro, etc that I can think of off hand. #Look at all those old mandolin postcard, mostly women I think. #Something changed.
    Those old mandolin postcards predated bluegrass when the mandolin typically was used in light classical music. #Women are still at the very forefront of classical mandolin as alluded above (i.e. they are raved about in a way analogous to Bush, Grisman, Thile, etc.). #Chandos Records is one of the most prestigious classical labels; one of Alison Stephens' recordings is the fastest selling release on the Chandos label...and I doubt you'll encounter much virtuosity that comes close to the likes of Caterina Lichtenberg, Gertrud Tröster, Alison Stephnes, etc. #You owe it to yourself to hear a solo album by any of these characters; Ms. Tröster's recording of Raffaele Calace's unaccompanied preludes for mandolin is inhuman, and Ms. Stephens' new solo CD, Con Espressione is absolutely delicious.

In bluegrass, maybe not in that uppermost tier of hype you've listed, JeffS, but Rhonda Vincent certainly gets plenty.

Here's another one: http://www.rebeccahoggan.com...
    Eye candy ?

Blog Entries

Plenty. Anyone that thinks Chris Thile can play classical music--and he certainly can--need to listen to German born Gertrude Troester or Caterina Lichtenberg and rethink things a bit. Sure, German mandolins are different but still, to witness either of these folks in person will upset your paradigm and have you believing those two aren't human. Alison Stephens is a UK classical player also very impressive.

Big bluegrass chops? Dawn Watson or Becky Smith. Make that huge bluegrass chops.

And Kari Larson, an absolute swing goddess from the Minneapolis area. Big fat tone, huge chops, great note selection, great instrument. A true monster that is relatively unknown. Locally we have very talented players like Beth Dearinger of the Uptown Mandolin Quartet. Lots more but gotta run.

Nancy Blake....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Brennen Leigh plays mando and has a great voice.

None to hard on the eyes either.

Of course I'm referring to the Weber she's holding.

Don

I second Kari Larson - she's a monster player and can rip on the guitar with the best of them...
    keith madison

Her name may be mentioned already but all I can think of is the band. The all girl bluegrass band that went country for a few years and then back to bluegrass. This is bad I can't even think of the name of the band now. I think the mando player and her husband have something to do with the Somerset KY festival. Anyway I played there one year and got to watch her play and she was amazing...

Ya'll need to just stop it with the good looking girls playing mando that's just too much to think about all at once!

Is this thread restricted to players? Let's not forget Laura Ratcliff, possibly the world's only female builder.
    Wye Knot

Didn't anybody see Alison Krause before she had a mandolin player?
    Well, anyway, she used to put down the fiddle and play mandolin part of the time.

I once had a mondolin at one of her shows to show to Adam Steffy. I knew she played so I showed it to her too.
    She said "I'm a horrible mandolin player!", looked the mandolin over and played some things that would make most of us envious.