Thread: MXL 990 Condenser Microphone?

Default MXL 990 Condenser Microphone?

Any good experiences

422 reviews, 4.5 stars....

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...unt?sku=273156

Got a $20 gift card from MF I need to use tonight. Thanks!

Default Re: MXL 990 Condenser Microphone?

I have 5 I have used for years. I've used them as a single mic on stage as well. Cheap and good.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thank u! That is what Im looking for. Someone with over 7000 post that likes it. Thank you, Mike.

Next question. Because it's got no power, do I need a preamp or interface or something with phantom power? Anything as GOOD and CHEAP?

I'm plugging into a MAC OSX, probably using garage band or Audacity.

Yes, you'll need something to provide phantom power. My mixers have it. I bought an M-Box preamp a few years ago that I carry when I need to plug in to someone's system that doesn't have it.

Oops, M-Audio, not M-box and the price of this thing went up. I paid about $25.00 for it back a few years ago.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

You'll not only need 48 volt phantom power, you will also need some kind of break-out box (audio interface) to get the sound into your Mac through Firewire or USB unless you are using the built in mic.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Your Mac may have an audio input, the eighth-inch jack next to the headphone jack on Macbooks. In that case you don't need an A/D interface, but can run direct from your mic preamp or mixer that is supplying the 48v. Set system preferences to bypass the built-in mic.

BC

If I have a PA, do I need anything else than the MXL 990 mic.

Is this how it could work?

1 - I just plug the mic >
    2 - into the 10+ year old 8 channel Peavey PA head >
    3 - then I need a line out?? (or some chord that will go from the PA to my USB I-Mic http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic >
    4 - Finally to the MAC!

Would that work? Does that sound correct at all?

I was going to get this, but if I can use my PA, I may not need anything else.
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ku=703606#used

I'm just looking to record by myself. Guitar and Mando tracks just to get my ideas down. When $$ picks up, I'll invest in more pro stuff.

This is a very nice inexpensive tube preamp with phantom power. Warm sounding and very quiet.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...amp?sku=180581

You can also use it as a tube overdrive for electric guitar (or mandolin).

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by KanMando View Post
    This is a very nice inexpensive tube preamp with phantom power. Warm sounding and very quiet.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...amp?sku=180581

You can also use it as a tube overdrive for electric guitar (or mandolin).

Bob
    Does it have a USB connection to go into my MAC?

You have a Mic input on your Mac?, it's an 1/8" jack, my G4 has one, its just above the sound card output..
    just need a patch cable 1/4M to 1/8thF then a double M ended 1/8" cable

adapt connections from the output on the Preamp- powersupply

Likely have a hot signal with line level out of the pre, make sure everything is at zero when you plug it in..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thanks, folks.

Actually it will run on less than 48 volt Phantom Power, the Kustom Profile One system was much less and powered them. I have no idea why anyone builds less than 48 volt Phantom Power systems but they apparently do.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I own an audio interface called Guitar Rig Session for my own mandolin/macbook setup. I use it with a Godin A8 electric mandolin. "Session" is made by Native Instruments. Read about it here:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ULL?sku=703278

I highly recommend it. It is way more versatile than anything you can do with Garageband or Audacity. Guitar Rig Session includes 50 or 60 different stomp boxes, amps, rack mounts, tuner, even tape recorders so you can play with something you just recorded. All of this is the Guitar Rig software.

The "Session" interface that comes with it is about the size of 4 stacked CDs. You plug your instrument into the phone jack input of the Session box, then connect it to your mac via USB, then output to an amp, or a mixer. It also has an XLR input plus phantom power if you want to record vocals. All this for $199.

Guitar Rig comes with tons of presets. Although at least half of these presets are made for electric guitar, it is quite easy — and rather intoxicating — to start building your own presets specifically for mandolin. I use it all the time in recording, although I haven't had much opportunity yet to use it in a live performance. I also use it almost exclusively these days, when I have an electric guitarist come in to my studio for a session. In fact, I haven't had a real guitar amp (nor a guitar player's complaint) in my studio for well over a year. You can hear one of my own recorded mandolin presets at the song link, below. Or listen to many more unusual electric mandolin sounds by following the link, back to "songs".

One other thing. If you do end up buying it, and then start building your own GR presets, please let me know by email. We can trade presets via email. I have yet to find another mandolin player using this very sophisticated hardware/software package.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Will this thing work with my modern Laptop PC running Windows XP?

Also, is it possible to apply the effects live and monitor on the fly?
    Rob G.
    Vermont

If it is me you are asking, Rob, (you don't make it clear) then i can tell you that GR Session works with either mac or windows. I use the Session interface only on my laptop, but use Guitar Rig on both a laptop and a desktop mac. On the desktop, I have a Protools Digi system, which is a full-featured interface.

As far as applying effects live, and monitoring on the fly, on my desktop I use the GR software primarily as an RTAS plugin within Protools. Often, I will record the electric mandolin dry, and then add the effect as a real time plugin. I will often change settings as I am listening to a tune. I immediately hear the change without stopping the machine, if that's what you mean.

I bought the "Session" box specifically to use GR on my Mac laptop, mostly with the idea of using it onstage, and occasionally for field recording. Right now, I often use the box with Guitar Rig software, although I can also use it for recording or listening to any audio on the laptop. I have Cubase on my laptop for portable recording.

Given the fact that GR is software, I am sure there must be some miniscule lag. But having used it once live, I can tell you that it modulates sound in perceptual real time, with no noticeable lag.
    Last edited by Jim Nollman; Sep-01-2009 at 3:52pm.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Ok I was thinking XLR cable 990, but I stopped by the MF website and see they sell a USB
    version, too :
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...one?sku=271009

so if recording is what you want to do with it theres one made just for that.

I also noticed Shure makes an XLR to USB adapter, for those SM57 users, too.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ter?sku=580350
    plus there are several other brands in that market niche.. have to learn more to see if they are just for dynamics, uses the USB power just for the Analog to digital conversion within itself.
    Sensible.. playing it safe, as power demand can be considered in mic design, so as to work with power available with USB source, if integrated , but not for all mics that could be plugged into a common XLR connector.

Edit : This one from Blue Company says it sends a 48v power to microphone ..
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ter?sku=330275
    Last edited by mandroid; Sep-01-2009 at 10:12pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I bought the MXL 990/991 vocal and instrument mic package at Guitar Center for $90 bucks for both mics years ago for home recording.

They are very cheap and sound OK for what you pay for it but they do get the job done. Never tried them for performance but for recording they work great. You do need phantom power. I bought a cheap 4 channel Behringer mixer to get phantom power back then.

After a few years use I now have to wiggle the XLR connection where it goes into the mic every now and then (just the vocal mic as it got the most use) because it would hum occasional. Just a quick wiggle and it is fixed. Some sort of connection problem.

I have since bought Shure and AT condensor mics that sound a lot better but they cost 3 times as much so I don't use the MXL's very much.

If you are on a budget or just don't want to sink a lot of cash into equipment I think they are a pretty good deal.

Just don't expect Neumann sound for $90.00 LOL!

Back 10 posts ago it sounds like you were wanting to make a board recording of the whole group, at gigs ..
    or are you doing home recordings? a more controlled environment.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Not that it can really be used for stage playing, I have really enjoyed my Samson Q1U dynamic USB mic. I've mainly used it for voice recording, but it gets great quality sound.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1879&brandID=2

Samson also makes USB condenser mics (a friend of mine just bought one and really likes it).
    "When I heard what Socrates had done on the lyre, I wished indeed even [I had done] that...but certainly I labored hard in letters!" - Cicero, "Cato the Elder on Old Age"
    Weber Gallatin Mahogany F
    19th Century Ferrari(?) Bowlback
    Early 20th Century British Mandoline-Banjo & Deering Goodtime Tenor
    1960s Harmony Baritone Ukelele
    The Magic Fluke Flea Soprano Ukelele (in 5ths!)
    1910 German Stradivarius 1717 copy, unknown maker
    1890(?) German Stradivarius 1725 copy, G.A. Pfreztschner, maker