Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'd sure like a resonator tenor guitar

Default Re: I'd sure like a resonator tenor guitar

Quote Originally Posted by journeybear View Post
    Never seen a clear pickguard. Don't need to see one, either, just thought it interesting, and pertinent for this use, thus not hiding the decorative aspects of the guitar...I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm done with cover plates...I can handle only so much conjecture, speculation, and flapdoodle.
    As I recall, you brought up the subject. There are quite a few catalog reprints in the Brozman book, but I didn't see another picture of a clear plastic pickguard other than a 1940 picture of an Aragon 6-string; the Aragon was one of the few wood-bodied National resonator guitars. A 1930 National catalog shows a "silver mandolin" (actually chrome or nickel plated) with the missing coverplate perforations, small four-sided screens rather than the holes shown later. Rule of thumb, pickguards seemed much more prevalent in the later (1936 on) catalogs, than in the early '30's ones. Probably reflected user experience with pick wear. Most of the tenors and mandolins pictured had the fully perforated coverplates.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I've been looking for one, myself, for a couple of years. I occasionally perform solo singing/playing jazz standards on tenor banjo. I'd like something a little less edgey than TB. This Regal is my cup of tea..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80U-2228_front.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	46241  

I just listed my National tri-cone tenor on e-bay for 1000 UK pounds but it didn't sell . If you're interested in making an offer , get in touch.

Late to the tenor party

Anyways I played an old National tenor on a gig last weekend. I play tenor banjo(Dixieland mostly) as well as several other instruments. One of the guys brought the national for me to play and it was a blast to play on. Sound man a little condenser mic on it and you could really hear it well.

Gold Tone makes one called the MBT+ that looks pretty cool. Has a lipstick pickup on it.

Quote Originally Posted by bahama View Post
    Gold Tone makes one called the MBT+ that looks pretty cool. Has a lipstick pickup on it.
    I never had any interest whatsoever in resonator guitars before, but now that I've seen the MBT+ I can't get it out of my mind. TGAS is an awful thing.

The page in the link has a couple YouTube videos of Marcy Marxer playing it, acoustic and plugged in.

Blog Entries

Seonachan, Great video! Thanks for posting.
    It's great to see/hear Allen's friend Marcy Marxer play!
    I feel T-GAS coming on!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

Blog Entries

This was the Triolian polychrome tenor I owned. Great guitar.

Blog Entries

Jim, this may be my favorite video of yours. Fantastic stuff!
    Thanks for posting.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Blog Entries

Does National not make a resonator tenor guitar? I can't find one on their site. They do however make eight, count them...eight! resonator ukuleles!

Has the Republic Guitars Highway T-49 already been discontinued? I can find no mention of it on the Republic website, nor one for sale anywhere!

An ebay search for resonator tenor guitar yields 4 recordings and NO instruments!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Does National not make a resonator tenor guitar? I can't find one on their site. They do however make eight, count them...eight! resonator ukuleles!

Has the Republic Guitars Highway T-49 already been discontinued? I can find no mention of it on the Republic website, nor one for sale anywhere!

An ebay search for resonator tenor guitar yields 4 recordings and NO instruments!
    My husband and I were just at the National factory a week ago. Got a tour and played some of the reso-instruments (including a reso-mandolin!). What a great place! They said they make just about anything a customer wants....so it might be worth a call and see what they can do for you.

Annette

www.livingtreemusic.com

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...r+tenor+guitar

What happened to this development?

Blog Entries

I sent an inquiry to Republic Guitars regarding the Highway T49 Tenor Resonators.
    I got a very prompt reply back from Frank indicating that Republic should have some T-49 resonator tenors back in stock in a couple of months.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

Reso tenors are fun -- this one is a one-off bought straight from the builder for a fraction of the cost of a National/Republic:

Martin

We played at the opening for the new wing of the N.C. Museum of Natural Sciences yesterday. I got to play my Republic T-49....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12SSBChar2.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	85523  
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Cool! Looks fab!

Nice thread! I almost purchased a 1936 National wood body resonator about 15 years ago, pretty beat up/no case, The guy wanted $800, I did some on-line research and wound up finding what was advertised as a 1929 Dobro, I'm on night shift this week and the guitar's at home, but it looks the Dobro lite advertisement found at the bottom center of this page, possibly that Model #46. It has 1205 (I think/I'll check) stamped on top of the head stock.

http://www.nationalguitarrepair.com/4sale.shtml

I saw a thread a couple months ago talking about bone saddles and I almost chimed. This baby had a couple issues, One was the deadened sounding low E and I took it to Tom Doyle when he had a repair shop in North Jersey, He recommended swapping to a bone saddle and keeping the original for posterity and I did, Well it worked out great, she sings boisterously loud for a single cone, I'll post some pic's in the next couple days.

She came with the original case, It went up on line just a couple days prior from a Guitar shop in Tennessee, They were firm on $1,400, I tried finagling the price a little lower and wound up just conceding to their price rather than walk away and I've never regretted that decision.
    Live Full, Love Deep

That's a very interesting link, Marc reset the neck on my 1932 National Triolian Tenor years ago and did a great job. He has some nice Tenors there.
    Charley

Nice to see this thread come round again...and well timed for me as I'm currently in the throes of tenor madness myself--but banjo not guitar. Still haven't found reso tenor guitar so I split the duties between my regal duolian 6-string and my banjos for my bag of rags and standards. Was tempted for an electric tenor but for the size rooms I play I can play hard and generally be heard, so as cool as an arch top is I don't want to haul amp. So I'll wait for my reso!

Perhaps you've got one in mind, catmandu, but you might find it helpful to know that I put a wanted ad up here at the cafe about six months ago and got many very interesting replies. VERY interesting. Lots of great tenor banjos out there whose owners are not actively seeking a sale but will sell at very reasonable prices if they feel that the buyer is a player not a turnover. Er, flipper...............profiteer.
    Mike Snyder

Yes I learned that there are two things there is no dearth of in the US: piano accordians and tenor banjos. Although it's been a while since ive been shopping, ebay was always loaded with vintage tenors and plectrums no longer "in style." shame to see many get cannabilized for 5-string conversions. But I have enough of em.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Snyder View Post
    Perhaps you've got one in mind, catmandu, but you might find it helpful to know that I put a wanted ad up here at the cafe about six months ago and got many very interesting replies. VERY interesting. Lots of great tenor banjos out there whose owners are not actively seeking a sale but will sell at very reasonable prices if they feel that the buyer is a player not a turnover. Er, flipper...............profiteer.
    To clarify Mike, I didn't mean tenor madness as in shopping, but just playing (TB)...just brushing up my chops for some dates

I've been on tenor banjo so long now, I don't lnow that I would use a reso tenor guitar. I like 6-string duolian as my primary axe and couldn't go without that--as a fingerstyle player I gotta have me six strings. The tenor banjo is quite another animal and I wouldn't be without that either. I guess I really don't have an application for one...although I would stil like one

I did a couple clips.. here's the Chanticleer:

This was my old National (sold about the time I got the Chanticleer!):

The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Nice Dan. Do you do that on banjo too? I'm getting into more Irish on banjo since I've been picking on my GDAE Bacon...but the jazz still sounds best to me on the CGDA tenor. I've got a masterclone that responds tonally, very warm, but also powerful. These are fun machines aren't they

I'm thinking of taking my GDAE out this week...always been CGDA, but the Irish is more better, as my kids say, on GDAE and I'll just voice the chord harmony for the rest on the top three strings

Check this guy out, he does some nice stuff on reso-tenor and tenor banjo.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPVZV...feature=g-vrec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUKIy...feature=relmfu
    Charley

Blog Entries

Thanks Charley...
    That's great stuff. I'm now happily subscribed!
    Think Hippie Thoughts...