Thread: Flatiron Bouzouki

Default Flatiron Bouzouki

I have a Flatiron 3K bouzouki/octave mandolin. It is missing the cover for the tailpiece (see attached picture). Does anyone know where you can find a replacement for this? It is a cosmetic thing, but I would like to fix it if I can. I contacted Elderly Inst and StewMac with no luck.

thanks for any suggestions.
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flatiron 3k bouzouki tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	45303  

Default Re: Flatiron Bouzouki

If it's the cover I think it is, watch Ebay and the classifieds for "Cloud Tailpiece Cover", they show up with some frequency. Likely it will cost you 30 or 40$ for a vintage one. I don't think anyone makes a replacement. There was a recent thread discussing the economics of it.

Default Re: Flatiron Bouzouki

The Flatiron tailpiece isn't the "cloud" variety discussed above. It's like the "shell" tailpiece that Gibson used to use from time to time. Check out the pictures of a 3-K here to see what the cover looks like. I own a 3-K, and it has the same tailpiece that's pictured.

This one on eBay looks similar, but may not be identical. I'd suggest contacting a mandolin-specialty dealer like The Mandolin Store, Janet Davis Music, or Harry West, and see if they have one that's been pulled off an older instrument that's been repaired or had its tailpiece replaced.

The other alternative, of course, is to replace your 3-K's tailpiece. The one that's on there is pretty ordinary, so choosing another type wouldn't be "desecrating" a beautiful instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM