Thread: Moon Cittern

Default Moon Cittern

Hi

I'm wondering about the value of my Jimmy Moon Cittern/Bouzouki (large scale 27.5) if I was to sell it.

It's in perfect condition and comes with case.

Any help would be greratly appreciated,

Many thanks

Matt
    Matt Shimwell
    http://www.studio-london.co.uk

:: Freshman Apollo 2 Guitar
    :: Washburn F8 Guitar
    :: Kentucky KM-380s Mandolin
    :: Moon Mandocello/Bouzouki Cittern

Default Re: Moon Cittern

I saw one a few years back (late 2006?) in the cafe classifieds for significantly under $1000. I remember, because I was keenly aware of that when I eventually bought mine for much more, given the exchange rate and shipping, new in May 2007.

On the Moon site, it's listed as £785.00, or $1,286.46 USD. (597mm scale) Hard to say if that's anywhere near up-to-date. I also looked out at TAMCO, where I got mine, but they don't list Moon any more.

Not much to go on, searches yield little. It doesn't help that there's "Blue Moon" brand, and also a Chinese made "Moon" listed out there!

I think you are about to define the going price for everyone else.

IIRC the general wisdom for late model instruments in excellent condition, is to ask for 30% off of retail, and negotiate from there. (Exception: something from a popular builder with a long waiting list, such as Stephan Sobell, may warrant a higher asking price.)
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Can't add much, other than to hold out for a decent dollar by marketing it to folks who will appreciate it. You likely have this figured out, but it would sell better in acoustic circles, folk festivals, trad sessions, the Cafe (!), than hanging in some rock guitar shop.

Btw, my favourite (and only current) flattop mandolin is a Moon.

Peace, Mike.