Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Gibson F-10

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Default New Gibson F-10

Has anyone played one of these? I heard that the mahogany neck gives it an interesting tone quality.

How is the workmanship? etc? etc?

Seems Mr Harvey is trying hard to come up with interesting "new" models that recall the true history of the company....not just making F5's for the sake of F5's....

Any thoughts?

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default Re: New Gibson F-10

I had never heard of it. From the big G site:

I don't really like the looks of it. It kind of looks cheap to me.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

Actually Chris that is a faithful reproduction of the original F10 other than it has the longer neck, the different tuner spacings and a proportional pickguard. I had a chance to play one of the original ones at Gruhns many years ago.....not too impressive of an instrument.....choked up and very thin sounding. But these might be a very interesting mandolin for the money....

It does look like some of the Pac rim imports with the inlays etc but actually they are a knock off of the F10 , F7 and F12's that were made in the 30's with the different inlay patterns

I just was hoping that someone had played one and could give us all a report on tonality.....

I had a chance to talk to Dave Harvey and he was mentioning how good he thought they sounded but I would like a "unbiased" viewpoint.

Though I have every reason to believe that David is a straight shooter.

I kinda like it. I'd like to see bound f holes and a varnish finish, no inlays on the fretboard other than dots and a price around $2500

Blog Entries

I like it as well -- but in a very reserved kind of way I guess.

I'm thinking to myself what additional things does it bring to the Gibson product line table?

Looks like a wider nut -- but you can get that already in the jam masters (or whatever they are called) or you can order a custom wide neck for most models.

This mandolin has f-holes, the same carved top, the same neck?, as the rest of the line -- yes? OK a little of nostalgic inlay, a black top, a throwback pickguard -- but all of this kind of harks back to the Victorian model-- doesn't it?

I give Dave Harvey credit for milking the Gibson F-style, f-hole mandolin for all its worth...he is trying to up market share (good on him).

BUT what would REALLY be COOL is a reproduction of the 1930's F-4, wide nut, short neck, truss rod and most of all oval hole with purfling and "The Gibson" and a double flowerpot (even if the lower part is into the truss rod cover) on the headstock.

Now you have my attention and yes I would shell out some $$$ for one of those!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

7. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    I kinda like it. I'd like to see bound f holes and a varnish finish, no inlays on the fretboard other than dots and a price around $2500
    :MSRP .> $7,000
    Dave

i played one recently at the Gibson Showcase,i think it was one of the best mandolins there,really good sounding and feeling mandolin,never been much on black top but this one caught my eye and ear!!,although i realize it is a reissue,so lets keep it close ,also there is a sunburst F -12 availiable.
    Danny
    Danny Clark

I've only seen pics and the video that First Quality did. In the video the mandolin sounded thin. I just didn't have any guts to it. of course in person I'm sure it sounds different and probably a little better.

I commend the folks at Gibson for trying to do some new things. But here's my gripe.....you knew this was coming, right? LOL My issue is that all of their models other than the MM and DMM are the same mandolin with different appointments. They're all maple b/s with a sitka spruce top. There are a few more differences with the Gold Rush. The Lawson has bound ff holes. But for the most part, they are all the same!!

How about an Englemann top?? Or even better, a red spruce top on something other than the MM and DMM. Gibson seems to think that red spruce is worth its weight in gold. Or how about an oval hole?? Or maybe a two point Jethro model? It's just hard for me to get excited about the Jam Master which is just another A/F-9 or this new F-10 which is a black Fern with different inlays and a mahogany neck. YMMV.....

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    How about an Englemann top?? Or even better, a red spruce top on something other than the MM and DMM. Gibson seems to think that red spruce is worth its weight in gold. Or how about an oval hole?? Or maybe a two point Jethro model? It's just hard for me to get excited about the Jam Master which is just another A/F-9 or this new F-10 which is a black Fern with different inlays and a mahogany neck. YMMV.....
    I totally agree. I think they are really behind the curve on this. I think it's pretty reasonable to expect more customization and variety nowadays. They are the only ones not doing it.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    $1.35 in assorted change

Given the price, it wouldn't make much difference to me if it had elephant ears, a trunk, and a naked lady inside.

Looks like a traditional Gibson to me. When you got a great original thing going on what's wrong with that? I like it. They're just continueing what they started and what everyone else is trying to copy.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

It makes sense to me that they are doing things like the Victorian model and this one. They making replicas of oldies that deserve to live on. It wouldn't make much sense for Weber or Collings to issue an F-10 copy. Weber has the affordable custom thing down, and they're doing it well. Collings has the top-shelf factory mandolin thing down. Gibson is being Gibson. Somebody's gotta do it, and nobody else can.

I don't get goosebumps seeing the F-10 (or the Victorian, or the Jam Master, for that matter...). I know Gibson makes (and has made) a lot of great instruments. I'll probably have one some day. Maybe an F-4 or A-4. Or snakehead.

I think Gibson's business situation is a lot like the American auto makers. The '57 Chevy was the Loar for Chevrolet. Then they made a lot of really heinous junk in the '70s, not anticipating the impact of real quality Asian vehicles on the market. Now they're making great cars again, but are still trying to get their reputation back after the Vegas, Monzas, Celebritys, Chevettes, etc. Not totally analagous, because Gibson is WAY bigger than mandolins, and has always been huge in guitars. I live 20 miles down the road from Gibson's shop in Bozeman-- I don't know why I've never thought to check it out. I have checked out some cool guitars at Music Villa (big Weber shop), however.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Given the price, it wouldn't make much difference to me if it had elephant ears, a trunk, and a naked lady inside.
    That I'd pay to see...!

What bugs me (just a little), is that this F-10 isn't really a copy of the previous F-10; it has a longer F-5 neck -- more desirable, probably, but what's the point of all the hommage to the earlier instrument, if what you're really producing is an F-5 decorated and finished pretty much like an F-10?

It seems to be that G is sorta tightroping the line between making real reissues of older models, and building totally new models. And at a really substantial (MSRP $7K) price. When an accurate reissue like the F-4 discussed above is proposed, the G reply seems to be "not enough of a market to warrant the retooling and redesign." But you can't convince me that what the world really wanted was an F-5 that looks like an F-10.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Blog Entries

man dough nollij: I don't know why I've never thought to check it out. I have checked out some cool guitars at Music Villa (big Weber shop), however.
    What kind of a product line does the Gibson store at the South Pole carry?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    What kind of a product line does the Gibson store at the South Pole carry?

Ha! There is a secret facility where penguins are enslaved, making Les Pauls all day, being fed only fish gruel. Don't tell anyone, though.

Quote Originally Posted by man dough nollij View Post
    Ha! There is a secret facility where penguins are enslaved, making Les Pauls all day, being fed only fish gruel. Don't tell anyone, though.
    You are on fire tonight!
    Heiden F-5 #110
    $1.35 in assorted change

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Biorkman View Post
    You are on fire tonight!
    I just got off work, and we're starting our one-day weekend. (It's 5:20PM on Saturday here.) Tonight is the Polar Plunge, where folks jump (some naked) into a hole cut in the sea ice over at Scott Base. Personally, I'm not inclined to get colder than I already am, thank you.

Mando content: There is a recent thread with a clip of Coldplay with mando.

Phylum Octochordata Mike Bromley's Avatar
    Canucklehead from Cowgary, Oilberta. Spend half my time in Iraq. A wacky life.

Quote Originally Posted by man dough nollij View Post
    Mando content: There is a recent thread with a clip of Coldplay with mando.

Chintzy, simply chintzy. Did I mention Chintzy? No No No, not the F10, before everyone peels a strip offa me....
    Root'n Toot'n World trav'ln Rock sniff'n Microscope twiddl'n Mando Mercenary
    Tuxedo Mines
    Triggs Mandolins
    Youtube Stuff

Yep, a lot said here that I find myself agreeing with. It does seem like there are a lot of versions of essentially the same thing. You've got your MM's, DMM's, Signature models, Goldrush, Bush, Fern, Victorian, F10, F12, F9, A9, JM's...did I miss any?

I'd like to see an oval hole. At the very least, an A style to test the waters. I'd suggest the A2Z snakehead or A4. A reissue Jethro would be nice too, with really good electronics.

Blog Entries

Gibson mandolin folks are just doing their job I guess -- keeping sales up, keeping production costs down, and maintaining high quality products.

The easiest way to do all three is to make essentially the same mandolin in a many different "cosmetic versions" as possible. I think it must be working for them.

When they have run this idea as far as they can is when we they will probably start to build something new. As we all have remarked -- we'd like to see several past Gibson models come back -- what about the other members of the "family".

Personally, I'd like to see new A-2's; A-4's and of course F-2's and F-4's and why make an F-6? The F-6 would be a long neck F-4.

An while we are at it how about dreaming really big -- a new H-4 and H-5 (I guess they could easily offer an H-2 as well but I don't want to sound greedy).

New K-4's and a K-5's..... not much market I guess. But while I would like a new scroll model mandocello I think a guitar body (with the proper bracing, neck and number of strings) might be practical to build?

OTOH, I am confident that Gibson does not need my advice.
    Bernie
    ____

Ultimately,i suppose that it's really down to how a Mandolin sounds,regardless of appearance. But,for those of use 'not in the know',re.Gibson Mandolin designs,on first glance,the fingerboard inlays look like a copy of a pac.rim instrument (no offence meant - some of those are excellent), but IMHO,it would have looked nicer with the simple dot inlay,which has become a 'standard' style,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I dont like the black paint! I like the the older look like the JM and the F5G but thats just me.It had a cleaner sound then the JM but you know i think the Jam Model was the best there at the Gibson Showcase!

I not going to disagree with all the folks that poke at the different F5 models.......frankly I don't need to see a Bibey, a Lawson etc etc........

But this F10 appears to me to be an honest attempt to go back and make something that was Gibson's history.....the mahogany neck.....the black finish....the inlays etc......change only the couple of things that just are plain bad for playing performance......the stupid short neck put the bridge in the wrong place to get tone out of the top.......the tuner spacing is a function issue.....why would one go out and make something that isn't good.....the old F10's and F12's were tiney sounding pieces of sh** made at a time when they were just using up old materials but they were interesting in that they are part of the history....rare.....nice looking and a piece of Gibson mojo......Gibson should trade on its history.......they are the flagship of mandolins....the most recognizable name in the game...

I am just plain confused when some of you say ....I want dots.....I think it looks cheap etc....It's a historical reproduction with a recognition and correction of design faults of the past. I love that they are doing this.....makes a heck of a lot more sense than to come out with more Lawson's etc.

Give us the MM.....the Fern at the middle price and the Jam Masters as the low end....the F9 is fine...Come out with a good high quality F4......and keep the DMM's in some form....the Ricky form being the logic horse to ride right now.....he is the most recognizable Monroe heir apparrent....

I think Dave Harvey is trying his best to do the historical thing correctly......He bleeds little red Gibson G's when he is cut........The first really good mandolin that he played was an F4....look at the video productions that he has made showing the instruments of the past to folks....the guy is a traditionalists with a great reverance for the past.....The F10, F12 etc are just part of that...

He gets an atta boy from me as does Gibson....

Now back to my original question........has anyone played one of them.....the different density neck wood should make a difference in the sound of the darn thing......I guess I could get in the car and drive the 120 miles to Louisville and find out for myself but being lazy I just wanted to ask.....

Gibson discussions always provoke a lot of discussion on this board.....Haters.....Lovers and those in between.....Me? I just want them to be the good Gibson not the build a piece of #### Gibson that was there from the mid 60's to the early 80's.....they need to be the flagship and live up to their rich history........\

Hmmmm I sound like Tevea {sp?) in Fiddler on the Roof....."Tradition!!!!" comes with getting older I guess

Here's a picture spread of a 1933-4 F-10 from RetroFret. They want $28K for it, which is substantial for a "tiney sounding piece of (you can fill in the blank)" if we take Gary H's evaluation of it.

As you can tell by comparing pics, the new F-10 is a pretty good copy, other than the longer neck. Fingerboard and headstock inlays are very close; tuner spacing's different but not jarringly so.

Well, at one-quarter the market price of an original, the new F-10 could be seen as a "bargain." Or it could be seen as a redecorated F-5, with different wood in the neck, being sold at a premium. It does interest me a bit, if the previous post represents a majority view of the musical quality of the '30's F-10, that G would choose to replicate it. Sorta like Ford coming out with a reissue Edsel, perhaps?

I think it's purely a case of trying to cash in on the rarity of the vintage F-10's, which are going at a premium price just because there aren't many of them -- not because they're exceptionally designed instruments with an extremely good sound. So G makes a smart marketing decision, that people will buy an instrument that looks like a vintage collector's item, and is probably a decent F-5 model that will hold its own with other contemporary Gibson models.

Not a criticism of Gibson, for whom I have real affection, and several of whose products I own and play. But just wondering what thinking goes into building a "reissue" that varies enough from the original, to make it really a substantially different instrument.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM