Thread: Japanese Made Mandolins

I know several of you play 70's and 80's Japanese made mandolins. What sets them apart from the other pac rim imports? I recently looked at and played an Epiphone MM70 which was epi's top of the line F5 in the 70's. Made in Japan and was truly a feast for the soul. I thought it was an exception. Were all the Jap mandolins manfactured with this degree of quality? I have seen several on eBay and in the cafe classifides bring top dollar. Just recently an Aria Pro II PM 750 Japanese made F5, 70's vintage went for a steal on eBay --- wished I had bid on it! What are your thoughts? Lp
    J.Lane Pryce

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Some good and some bad. I have collected several japanese mandolins and probably had the best luck with the a-models. There are some real good f-models, but also some real stinkers - tops too thick, heavy on the finish. Don't get me wrong, I have some that I just love, but for some reason, when I set out to get an Ibanez or Alvarez F-5 clone, I guess the ones that were up for sale were the stinkers. I have bought many mandolins prior to playing, and at a gamble. But most were the Japanese A's in the $200 to $300 range. To go into the $600 to $800 range, I would definatly look at the Flatirons.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

To tell you the truth....I am half Japanese and I wouldn't buy a vintage Japanese instrument.

I agree with F-D, for the money your gonna pay you could buy a nice used (or NEW if you look hard!) A style like a Mid Mo, Rigel or Weber. If you scour classifieds and eBay everyday you can get a heck of a deal.

I had an 80's Avarez A800 as my main mando for about 10 years. In addition to the Alvarez label, the words "Handmade in Japan" were very neatly woodburned on the inside of the back, viewable through the F-hole. The manufacturer's price on it in the early 90's was $1,100, which was pretty pricey for an imported mando back then. They typically actually sold new for about $900. Mine was a factory repaired warranty return that I got for less than half that. I thought it was great at the time. It was all solid wood and it looked, sounded and played better than anything I could find to try for anywhere near the price.

But that mando would not stack up to today's mandos in the same numerical dollar range, much less that dollar range adjusted for inflation. Any of the new MKs, just as comparable example, would blow it away in almost any category. I think competition has definitely improved the lot of PACRIM mandos. It seems that outside of some custom builders, the Japanese have not stayed in the game and others have passed them by.

I have a '95 Samick A with solid top, but I am wondering if the back and sides are laminated or also solid. The model number is SM20. It is a very nice sounding mandolin, the best of 3 that was in the store at the time and considerably nicer than the Wahburn F style that I was intending to buy. I paid $340 Canadian without the case.

Anyone out thare who can tell me if it is all solid woods?

I've had a Japanese Kentucky KM200S since I bought it new in 1982. #It's been a solid, reliable workhorse over the years, with pretty decent tone and volume. #On more than one occasion, I've had other mando players at jams tell me it's one of the best sounding Kentuckys they've heard (referring, of course, to the instrument and not my playing # )

I'm very happy with my oval-holed 2-pointer A-type Kiso Suzuki which probably dates from late 70s early 80s - bought second-hand fairly cheap in the UK. It's really got me into playing mandolin - sweet-toned and easy action. It's a bit garish (bright red sunburst).
    Later note: still got it, but bought a Pavlu A-type to play at sessions which is much louder.