Thread: E.M.D (Eat My Dust)

Default E.M.D (Eat My Dust)

I have a question/favor to ask of you that may be in the know. I have used the search engine, and nothing came up.

I am trying to work out The Grisman Quintet version of "Eat My Dust", and I am running into a snag on the chords.

What I have for the intro is Em7, Em6, then, Bam! I cant get the next chord. F#m7 seems close, but it is still missing something.

I should also add that I am working with both the guitar and mando parts for this composition, and I am not great with chord inversions, especially when working on two different instruments.

Ive listened to 3 different versions from the master himself, as well as some youtube videos of David & others attempting the song, but I cant get a good look at what any of them are doing.

So does anyone have the chords/progressions for this song?

Sorry if this has been discussed. I have searched, but im not the most observant person, and things tend to slip by, so my apologies if I am beating a dead horse.

EDIT: I just played the F#m7 again, and it does not even sound close. So unless I just need a different inversion to give it a different "voice" I dont think the chord is correct.

Default Re: E.M.D.

Bluegrass College has a multi-instrument lesson on EMD, with notation, tab and chord chart, and audio and video at several speeds and levels of complexity. NFI, just think these folks do a good job of teaching tunes. The mandolin instructor on this one is Leftwich, but Compton, Cobb, Baldassari and Flinner are on other tunes.

But I just checked and they don't cover the intro.
    Last edited by R. Kane; May-25-2009 at 7:17pm. Reason: facts not in evidence

Default Re: E.M.D (Eat My Dust)

Em C7 Em C7 Em C7 A7 C7 B7 Em...and play it ad nauseum.

Does that help?
    Valley Road Bluegrass Band
    www.valleyroadbluegrass.com

Or try Em7 & C9th . That is how I play it.
    Em7//// C9//// Em7//// C9//// Em7//// C9//// then A7//// C7//B7//

For Em7th and C9th try 4-2-5 and 3-2-5, just a 3 note chord & only moving one finger works good. Don't play the E string........these sound Dawgish to my ear. Of course there are other places to play it, try way up the neck with a barre chord Em7th, at the 9th fret, followed by a barre C9th at the 5th fret........or maybe a 7-5-7 Em7th.

It is on Mandozine in the Tabledit files. http://www.mandozine.com/
    Transcriptions of solos as well as the head.

Hey Wafflehead,
    Here's is what I've done for that movement from Em to C7. Three string chords.
    9-5-7//,8-5-6//,7-5-5//,6-5-4//, 3-2-3////
    That is a lot of fun to do, just don't do it everytime.
    Becky Smith

Thanks for the help guys. Its great to hear of different ways people play this song; ive used bits & pieces of each of your suggestions to give a fairly repetitive progression a little color. Ive been using different inversions of chords, as well as switching the C7 for C9 here and there, and it is pretty cool.

The chord that was alluding me in the intro has been found. Im not sure of the name, but it is 9 7 9 10 (E,A,Gb/F#,D). Sounds right to me anyway.

And once you get the chords down........you'll need to experiment with rhythm patterns.

A rhythmic groove I've heard Dawg do on the opening is 4-2 for 2 bars, 9-5 for 2 bars, 12-9 for 4 bars (on the bass strings), then the melody. I like to mess around with the opening.

Question Re: E.M.D (Eat My Dust)

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Or try Em7 & C9th . That is how I play it.
    Em7//// C9//// Em7//// C9//// Em7//// C9//// then A7//// C7//B7//

For Em7th and C9th try 4-2-5 and 3-2-5, just a 3 note chord & only moving one finger works good. Don't play the E string........these sound Dawgish to my ear. Of course there are other places to play it, try way up the neck with a barre chord Em7th, at the 9th fret, followed by a barre C9th at the 5th fret........or maybe a 7-5-7 Em7th.

It is on Mandozine in the Tabledit files. http://www.mandozine.com/
    Transcriptions of solos as well as the head.
    I went to the mandozine.com site and searched for E.M.D. in the Tabledit files but could
    not find it or any Dave Grisman tabs period. Please advise.
    Thanks.
    Jpoban

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    For Em7th and C9th try 4-2-5 and 3-2-5, just a 3 note chord & only moving one finger works good. Don't play the E string........these sound Dawgish to my ear.
    That's very economical. Minimal movement, great for chopping the mando rhythm.

Let the guitar carry the descending chromatic movement from E down to C, which doubles the bass line. But if you're determined to do it on mandolin then bsmando has a great suggestion her descending line, though to be economical you can simplify further to two note chords like this:
    9-5//8-5//7-5//6-5//5-5-(7-6)////