Thread: Older Alvarez Mandolin Question

Default Older Alvarez Mandolin Question

Hello everyone. This seems like a great community, with a wealth of information, and Im glad I discovered this place.

I recently acquired an old (oldish) Alvarez F-5-style mandolin. I have searched high and low, and I cannot find ANY info on this instrument.
    In my searching, I have found models from the 70's-90's, and none of these models seems to match what I have procured.

Some info about the instrument:

1) The headstock label indicates a blatant attempt to replicate an old Gibson, as it reads "The Alvarez" written in a very similar cursive script as the Gibsons. There is also a Chalice-looking design under the script.

2) There is no paper/cloth label inside the sound chamber. The only visible marking reads "Alvarez Hand Made", and it appears to have been burned into the wood.

3) The only identifying number I can find (without somehow checking the neck block) is a small, old sticker on the back of the headstock reading 29219.

4) The tuning gears are open-backed; a feature I have not seen on any other Alvarez model I have inspected. The buttons are, I believe, pearloid.

5) The soundboard appears to be solid spruce, the back and sides are solid flamed-maple, and the neck seems to be rock maple.

6) I do not know much about wood grain, so I am unsure of the material of the fretboard. It is either rosewood or ebony. The pattern is tighter than that of my rosewood fretboard model instruments, but "looser" than the ebony on my double bass. The color is that of ebony, so I am thinking it is either a dark, more tightly-grained rosewood, or a lesser-grade ebony (although the radiused board on the bass makes it harder to see the grain pattern). The mando's board is standard (not radiused). Also, the fret marker inlays are a block-style, not dots. It is an extended board, with 30 frets.

7) The binding is white, but I have no idea what the material is. There is a high-gloss finish.

Sorry for the length of my post! As I previously stated, I cannot find any info on this mandolin. I have contacted the company, and they either cant, or wont help me. The number appearing on the sticker does not follow the algorithm Alvarez-Yairi lists on their website to date a particular instrument.

If I had to guess, I would say it is late 70's-early 80's, but this is just a guess. Im just hoping that someone on this site has ever encountered an Alvarez like this.

Thanks for any help, and keep up the good work on the site! I am a new mandolinist (there are more than enough guitar players in the world, so I needed a change), and the info on this site is invaluable to my education.

Thanks for your time, Matt

Default Re: Older Alvarez Mandolin Question

Matt, I don't know how much help I can be but I bought one new in 1978 that some what matches your description. It was a top of the line model althought I don't recall the model number. It had all the features you mentioned. I do remember it was a lighter sunburst rather than a darker sunburst. It had a rectangle type case. It played and sounded great but the neck was narrower than I was used to after playing Gibson "A" style mandolins for a few years prior. I saw one on Ebay a while ago just like mine case and all go for around $700 and I thought it was a steal if it sounded anything like the one I had!

Anything like this one in the Classifieds?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I don't know about "Waffle's" but that's mine for sure! That's a great price if it sounds like mine did. We aren't talking ''Loar" here but mine projected real well and had a nice bark.

You guys nailed it! I know i checked the classifieds, but I guess it must have slipped right past me.

The only difference that I can see is it does not appear that the "for sale" instrument has "The" before Alvarez on the headstock, but that could very well be the angle/quality of the photo.

It is even the same case with the funky yellow lining.

I traded a low-level Road Series Martin Dreadnaught (worth about $500) for the mando and some repair work on another instrument, so it looks like it was a fair deal. This Alvarez has a really good tone, it's as balanced as my Eastman, and has a louder "bark", so I am happy.

Thanks again for help guys. I still want to find out the exact year, but at least I now have an approximate era of build.

I have some interesting info. My dad always gathered up brochures and price lists from music stores when I was a child. We played Alvarez instruments so I have a pretty big archive of these back thru the the late 70's. The early model you have has a flat scroll - not carved. In 1979 the following are the models they made and the price

A500 -$499 (2 point)
    A700 - $750 (basic F)
    A800 - $875 (F with fancy abalone fingerboard inlays and headstock vine

My 1984 Price list shows - interesting, the price went down
    A100 - $275
    A500 - $450
    A700 - $650
    A800 - $775
    A900 - $895

Thanks
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Years ago, I remember seeing ads in Guitar Player Magazine with Roy Clark endorsing Alvarez instruments. In the ad he held an absolutely gorgeous-looking F-4 copy. I dont recall that any of the Japanese makers of F-style mandolins at that time were making F-4 replicas, & I remember the photo knocked my socks off at the time..

Funny thing is, all these years later, I've STILL never come across an Alvarez F-4 !

Anyone got/seen one ?

That F4 style was a model A910 Somerfield Florentine.............may dad had one of those. I think he still has pics of it somewhere. It was a beauty. I saw another several years ago for sale but those 2 are the only ones I ever saw! I did find a picture of it in one of my books.................man is that a beauty! The description says it was spirit varnished.

I talked with my dad and he's going to send me some pics - I will post them here once I get them.

My dad told me that he traded this mandolin to Larry Sparks father for Gibson Dove guitar at Shohamy's in Franklin Ohio (I may not be spelling that correct) - this was like a small flea market...............I thought that was a cool story.

Obviously this was a long, long time ago.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin alverez.jpg 
Views:	1334 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	42488  
    Last edited by The Mandolin Store; May-17-2009 at 9:55pm.
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Well, the one in the ad is "twin" to the one I bought in 1974 at "Homespun Music" here in Kalamazoo. It was the second one trhough the store and I bought it "blind" The day it came, I was tarring a roof with a guy I used to play with. We wnet down as soon as I could scrape enough tar off my shoes to get down without making his mother furious about her floors. The only difference is Jan Bloom made me an engraved truss rod cover and, I had to get a new case. I have a slight "sinkage" problem but not dangerous. I have a friend take a look now and then, HE KNOWS Mandolins!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

The Mandolin Store: My dad told me that he traded this mandolin to Larry Sparks father for Gibson Dove guitar at Shohamy's in Franklin Ohio (I may not be spelling that correct) - this was like a small flea market...............I thought that was a cool story.
    Egad! Not to steal the tread.

Is that the small pawn shop right on the corner of Main and Rt. 123?!!!!

I have been past that place several times in the last year and never thought to stop --that they would have had a Dove in there would never have remotely occured to me.

I'm going to go by there today and see if they still have it!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Bernie - it's a little place where people trade guns and pocket knives mostly.................It's not a Pawn Shop. I assume it's still there and all I know is it's in Franklin. This must have been 25 years ago or so that this trade happened. If this place is like the other "Flea Markets" around, it's likely it's deteriorated over time....................ebay has lot's of impacts. When I was a boy I used to go with my dad to all of the flea markets and I bought baseball cards while dad was messing around with guitars and guns. I guess I never realized how lucky I was to be exposed to so many instruments throughout the years with all of my dad's wheeling and dealing.
    Thanks,
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

12. The following members say thank you to The Mandolin Store for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    I have some interesting info. My dad always gathered up brochures and price lists from music stores when I was a child. We played Alvarez instruments so I have a pretty big archive of these back thru the the late 70's. The early model you have has a flat scroll - not carved. In 1979 the following are the models they made and the price

A500 -$499 (2 point)
    A700 - $750 (basic F)
    A800 - $875 (F with fancy abalone fingerboard inlays and headstock vine

My 1984 Price list shows - interesting, the price went down
    A100 - $275
    A500 - $450
    A700 - $650
    A800 - $775
    A900 - $895

Thanks
    So are you saying the model I have is an A700? What is the difference between a Flat and carved scroll? The top of the scroll is not a linear, flat plane, if that is what "flat" is. I never knew there was a difference in scrolls as ive never paid great attention to them.

The mando you have is not the same spec as the A700 from my 1979 book. I don't know for certain what model that is...............could be an A700 and they changed it or could be they did not have a model number for the early ones as they only made one? As for the scroll...................with the mandolin in the horizonatal position, look at the scroll - usually the older ones are flat............perhaps yours is different from those I have seen but the other one listed for sale in the classifieds is flat. The A700, A800, A900, the scroll is carved and protrudes upward.
    That's all the info I have
    Thanks
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

I don't recall the model number of mine either. But I know I bought in new in 1978 and it was exactly like the one pictured with the flat scroll. I remember the block inlays also.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mandolin Store View Post
    The mando you have is not the same spec as the A700 from my 1979 book. I don't know for certain what model that is...............could be an A700 and they changed it or could be they did not have a model number for the early ones as they only made one? As for the scroll...................with the mandolin in the horizonatal position, look at the scroll - usually the older ones are flat............perhaps yours is different from those I have seen but the other one listed for sale in the classifieds is flat. The A700, A800, A900, the scroll is carved and protrudes upward.
    That's all the info I have
    Thanks
    I just looked again, and when lying horizontal, looking on the scroll side, it is fairly flat; not completely, but more so than my Eastman.

I never noticed a difference in scroll protrusion, but hey, you learn something everyday. I appreciate your (and everyone's) help. I have alot better idea of what I am dealing with now.

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

Here's a page from St. Louis Music that's dated 1977. As I understand it, these older models had a trussrod cover with two screws. The newer models have three screws.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alvarez.jpg 
Views:	1822 
Size:	268.9 KB 
ID:	42510  
    OTW

Looks like indeed thay made a running change in the late 70's on the A700 model. My 1979 brochure shows the A700 with dot inlays, Alvarez logo (not script) on the peghead, and carved scroll. I actually played one of these old A800's for a long time about 10 years ago. Some of those are really great mandos.
    Thanks,
    Dennis Vance
    The Mandolin Store
    www.themandolinstore.com

Quote Originally Posted by OlderThanWillie View Post
    Here's a page from St. Louis Music that's dated 1977. As I understand it, these older models had a trussrod cover with two screws. The newer models have three screws.
    The A700 shown is exactly like mine, except there is no "The" on the headstock. Same specs, although I am pretty sure the neck is maple, as it is very light in color.

Quite interesting though, indeed.

Registered User OlderThanWillie's Avatar

Another recalled thought -- the two screw trussrod cover models were made in Japan. Three screw models were Korean.
    OTW

I have one and asked me how the A model KM-950 Kentucky sound comparing mine ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5647.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	248.9 KB 
ID:	121276
    I have one.
    It's mine, an F type Ant model...
    And I have question (asked to Dennis Vance from "the mandolin store" or somebody else who has experience)... how the A model KM-950 Kentucky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi9eyOSIAM4 sound comparing mine ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160226_152209.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	595.6 KB 
ID:	144061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160226_152223.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	589.5 KB 
ID:	144062

So here it is. My Beautiful A910. Other than that I have no information or history and cant find even a tiny scrap of information about it. Anyone have any ideas?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I think the 5-digit serial numbers and the wood burned, "Hand Made" are made in Japan. I had an A100 and it was sweet! All wooden binding, good wood and good sound. Fun to play - f-hole, 12-fret a-model mandolin.

OTW's page shows the flat scroll and the carved scroll difference between the A700 and the A800. I think it's awesome that Dennis' Dad has that collection. I know I'm late to the thread, but I collected MIJ mandolins for a while and always thought well of the, "Hand Made" line.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Don't know about alvarez but Aria made a flat scroll and a ridged scroll at the same time, different model no. And different price. What I'm calling a flat scroll had no raised ridge in it.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I also had an Aria, "Pro II," which was great! It had the wood-burned, "Hand Made" brand on the inside.

I had another Aria, "Pro II," which was bad! It didn't have the, "Hand Made" brand on the inside and a really bad neck joint!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A