Nickel Creek - "Tomorrow is a Long Time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHZ7W_-zDSc

Mountain Heart - "It's The Love"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjW6pRwfWo

Nickel Creek - "When You Come Back Down"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoQ2CQUoih4

Any feedback would be greatly apreciated :]

thankyou! :D
    Last edited by V-Wing; May-05-2009 at 12:26am. Reason: YouTube vids I guess cannot be linked here. :]

Default Re: .3 Solo Clips.

I made my comments on the youtube video, but I'll paste them here as well for the sake of the discussion.

------------------------------------

Very nice transcription of Thile. You're on the right track.

Two tips. First, do you have the Thile DVD? On it he really talks about the importance of good pick-stroke theory (having all the downs and ups in the right places) and I think you're getting some of the pickstrokes flipped around direction-wise. I think that solo should start on an upstroke for the pickup note on the Ab.

Another thing, if you watch Chris, is that he plays with the pick much closer to the bridge than you are right now. I know (from my own experience) that it feels a little easier to play up there and the tone initially sounds sweeter (always a struggle when compared against Dude #5), but you probably shouldn't be getting that pick click on the fretboard, especially with the shorter extension on a Gallatin.

Best of luck working out all this Thile technique.

-------------------------------------------

The most important thing with Thile is to really nail down the right technique initially. I spent a lot of time haphazardly trying to work out Thile with iffy technique, and ended up having to relearn (and an still trying to relearn) a lot of developed bad habits.

All that said, you've got a good ear for Thile's sound, especially on the slides and pull-offs. I can tell you've spent a lot of time listening really close to the sound you're looking for, and I have no doubt you'll nail it down soon enough.

Smile Re: .3 Solo Clips.

Thank you very very much for your input/advice.
    I really appreciate it.

I also replied on YouTube.. soo here..

-----------------------------------------------

Thankyou so much. Thank you very uch for the tips too.

I doo have his DVD actually.. but only watched it once.. It seems really hard to find the time to watch it :/ but I definetly will.

this is probably a stupid question.. but I've been wondering for awhile..
    would you know if it's normal to sometimes pick say... the E string on a down stroke and then the A string on an upstroke. and vice versa. that's the hardest thing for me right now.

Yeah I have noticed that. and how he hardly moves his picking hand.. I think might move mine too much.. also how he keeps a semi-closed hand and doesn't rest his pinky or anything on the mandolin body itself. I've tried that a few times but I get sloppy... or sloppier I guess? but yeah I've also noticed that picking up there has a much softer tone. which I've used in a few of our bluegrass bands solos. But I tend to forget :/
    Thankyou so much!
    -------------------------------------------------

And thankyou so so much for noticing the time I put into it.
    I hope I can get it down.. I'm 21 and first picked up a mandolin at 16-17 ish.
    so I know I'm no expert haha..
    I've really often wondered about my mando maybe.. cuz Chris T. said he uses, as he called it, " the most sissy boy set up there ever was." Which is very light action. And I think I need to adjust my bridge a little.. but I'm not sure how exactly.
    but it just seems that like on the 'When You Come Back Down' solo the high part was a lil hard to get because of possibly a bit high action. I'm not positive. I've only played on 3 Mandolins that I've had.

but also because the tuning doesn't match always..

but alas. I wish you could play my mando and maybe could tell me if it's just me and my imagination.
    :]

Thankyou SO very much again.

As long a you are taking advice...and I mean this as a helpful tip....You need to clean up your chop...its very erratic. Certain songs call for a certain chop...some call for a quick percussion chop..thats where you dont chop thru all the strings. Thats something you will learn..Im sure.

And..Im wondering could you do what you just showed us in those clips on the whim with another band? say if you were out jamming..and perhaps the tempo wasnt quite the same..could you adapt?

We're very similar in our backgrounds then. I started at 17 and am now 23.

First. The planting thing is a tough one. Evan Marshall and Adam Steffey both plant, and it doesn't seem to hamper them. However, Chris doesn't and seems to be pretty adamant about it being a disadvantage because stiffening those fingers into the top creates unneeded motion and tension. I'd say it's a "what works for you" thing, but since Chris is the most technically fluid player on the planet, I usually just recommend mimicking him on principle.

Second, as far as the pickstrokes go, this will take a bit of explaining. The direction the pick goes DOES NOT depend AT ALL on what strings you are on (or at least shouldn't 99% of the time). I've talked to both Chris and Mike Marshall about it. The pick should go (for four eighth notes) Down Up Down Up. This subdivision is kept no matter what combination of longer notes, hammer-ons or pull-offs are thrown in there. So, if, for example, I do a quarter note, or two 8th notes as a hammer-on, then two picked 8ths, it would be Down Down Up. I've seen Chris and Mike do any possible combination of strings with this (including downstroke on the E and upstroke on the D or G at full bluegrass speeds). Chris is so militant about Down Up Down Up he plays this Bulgarian Piece in 25/16 all without deviating from standard DUDU pickstroke theory. Chris explains all about pickstroke theory on his DVD. Go watch it. Make the time. One of the reasons why it makes sense to always do it, even where in some situations deviating from it would make things easier for the moment, is that once you never deviate from DUDU theory then you don't have to think about which way the pick is going to go next, no matter how fast you are going or how hard of a part you are trying to improvise. One less thing you have to focus on when playing keeps more focus where it belongs, on the music.

Another thing about the downstroke on the higher string, upstroke on the lower string thing that Mike Marshall explained to me once is to envision the pick moving more in a figure-8 sort of motion on those string jumps than in a straight line. Thinking about it like that helped me.

Well Scotti.. here's one. But it's from around 3 years ago :/ I'm a lil embaressed of it hahah.. but anyhow..
    Orange Blossom Special. [my version anyways]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DNh8D0cgpw

around 2-half years ago :/

As you'll hear my dad joke in the first part about the instruments I play. I play around 6.. Mando is one of them. So you'll know what he's talking about. :] Also it was a weird show, because our bass player [my aunt] was sick and couldn't come. It was the re-opening of that old theatre to be a... venue? type thing.

When You Come Back Down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGI-utDtJoY

Yes we do speed up a bit. :/ dunno who's at fault. I'm usually a follower and am very flexible to whatever the other person is doing. but alas..

Alsooooo.. the chopping in the begining wasn't serious.. haha I wondered if anyone would say anything about that.. I apologize :/

Oh yeah.. also. yeah I can adapt very well. I'm completely ear trained on every instrument I play. But yeah I've always, as I said before, been flexible at everywhere I've played. We go to jam sessions all the time.. well used to. Dads been busy recently. but yes I've always taken breaks on songs I didn't know. And people seem to be impressed, so I would hope that I do well haha. :]

Patrick..

"""First. The planting thing is a tough one. Evan Marshall and Adam Steffey both plant, and it doesn't seem to hamper them. However, Chris doesn't and seems to be pretty adamant about it being a disadvantage because stiffening those fingers into the top creates unneeded motion and tension. I'd say it's a "what works for you" thing, but since Chris is the most technically fluid player on the planet, I usually just recommend mimicking him on principle."""

That's true.. that's how I felt about it, but I wasn't sure. So I'll start now trying to get used to Chris's way. I'll adapt dangit haha no matter what.

Oh that song.. yeah I actually recently watched alot of that show they put on. Got discouraged n all haha. woo.
    but yeah I can also see that in Ode To a Butterfly.
    He's so incredibly smooth.. it blows my mind. I've even thought about learning classical some. as he did.

I'm really anxious to watch that DVD again now. thankyou!

"One less thing you have to focus on when playing keeps more focus where it belongs, on the music."

Very true..
    the thing I'm worried about now is. that I dont' think about it. it happens. I hope thats not going to be too hard to get rid of.. haha UGH.

hmm.. I'm trying to understand the firgue-8 pick thing.. I can't invision it very well..... :/