Thread: New Zealand mandolin advice (First mandolin)

Question New Zealand mandolin advice (First mandolin)

Hey folks!

I've recently fallen in love with the sound of mandolins and am really wanting one.

However the selection of mandolins is really limited here in New Zealand.

I was wondering if:
    1. If the, EPIPHONE MM30 MANDOLIN, is a good mandolin? I couldn't really find anything better at that price range
    2. Any other New Zealanders, or Oceanic peeps can give me advice regarding the best place to buy Mandolins

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guita...solid-top.html

Thanks in advance!

Registered User wellvis@well.com's Avatar

Default Re: New Zealand mandolin advice (First mandolin)

You might check with one of these Kiwi luthiers to see what they'd recommend.
    I haven't been impressed with the Epiphone MM-30 I played.
    Brad's Page of Steel:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
    A website devoted to acoustic & electric steel guitars

I would suggest you look on line at The Mandolin Shop or Elderlys. They have great range of stock. Beware the customs tax and GST its a killer but the end result is worth it.
    Cheers
    Maccka

I did a web search yesterday for music stores in NZ.There are quite a few but the Mandolins on offer aren't particularly good & i didn't think it worth posting simply to say that. Having read Maccka's post - i agree with him. Save up enough cash to buy a decent mandolin from a US store who'll set it up for you.Buying a 'cheapie' from an NZ store might come with a whole stack of problems re.the set-up. I'd go with an instrument from either the Mandolin Store or Folk Musician. Both those store have a terrific reputation for delivering the goods well set-up. Nothing worth having comes cheap,but if it does,that's exactly what you get - cheap,& you don't want that,you want good & well set-up. There are Mandolins models from Eastman & Kentucky on offer from those stores well worth the wait,
    Ivan
    PS - Meanwhile,congratulation on living in one of the most awesomely beautiful countries on the planet.
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Smile Re: New Zealand mandolin advice (First mandolin)

Thank you for your replies! I've had a scope at the mentioned luthiers' websites, holy moly the instruments look fantastic but I am doubtful they will be able to help me finding an entry level Mandolin.

I've taken Macckas (and Ivan's) advice and gone to the mandolin shop website and contacted them regarding shipping a Kentucky KM-150 to NZ.

I'm sure I'll be having to pay half the price of the mando in shipping

And to Ivan, thanks I've been living here for nearly 17 years; absolutely love it.

Blog Entries

There's a really nice Eastman 814 (oval hole, F-style) for sale in your part of the world right now... not exactly entry level, but a very good mandolin...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instr...-469576314.htm
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    There's a really nice Eastman 814 (oval hole, F-style) for sale in your part of the world right now... not exactly entry level, but a very good mandolin...

http://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instr...-469576314.htm

Wowsers, that is a beautiful instrument. I wish I could afford all these nice instruments.

The cheapest mandolin on that store will still cost me a whopping 467 NZD thanks to 79USD shipping

Quote - "I'm sure I'll be having to pay half the price of the mando in shipping...". Join the club !.It's just an unfortunate fact of our lives.You'll most likely have to pay NZ duty & tax as well. It's a one-off, so bite the bullet & enjoy your new mandolin when it arrives. A few hours on that & you'll forget the financial pain,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Kia Ora Rack. Congrats on discovering the delights of mandolin. I don't know where you are, but if you are near Welly, I think there's a monthly americana jam at Miaow cafe which might interest you. Sorry I'm a little late answering your post. I live on Kapiti Coast. I don't know about Auckland area, but at this end of the island, the best mandolin (and ukulele) store is Alistairs Music in Cuba St, Wellington. Of Mandolin family, they sell a variety of what US folks would call entry-level, plus a small stock of better quality used modern instruments and restored antiques. I know these are all well set up, because I do the setups myself. I think this store has one used "The Loar" mandolin at the moment, and several restored italian bowl-backs. There are also in NZ a few better quality Asian mandos and old gibson A's offered for sale privately, and at least two NZ luthiers who regularly build mandolins to order, but there is not a wide choice of (say) better grade Eastmans or Kentuckys, because AFAIK no one imports Eastman, and the Kentucky importer seems to focus on the lower price models. As long as it is fairly simple for an individual to privately import a better grade instrument from a US dealer, it's not likely that any of the NZ musical import companies will be interested in doing so. I work every week at my bench underneath a rack full of mandolins, but I recently purchased a Lafferty F model from Dennis at the Mandolin Store because I couldn't find something like this in NZ. If you want to talk mandolins, you could find me at Alistairs every thursday. Cheers, Simcha.
    Last edited by mandolagirl; Apr-29-2012 at 3:52am. Reason: clarity

Thanks for the reply Simcha! Unfortunately, I live up in Auckland But your monthly jams sound lovely, and if I lived in the area I would most definitely go. You have replied a wee-bit late and I have ordered a Kentucky KM-160 (with a whopping 100 USD).

Does Alistairs' have a website? Or a contact number? I would love to do future buys from a more local (relatively :P) vendor.

As Rack specifically asked me for this NZ store's contact details, I guess it is acceptable to post it here:
    Alistair's music, 215 Cuba St, PO Box 9527, Wellington. (04) 917 4487. Nice people, and one of the last old-style individual music stores in NZ. I hope that's helpful for you in the future. Best regards, Simcha.

Mandolins for sale in NZ, a little update but Morgan Monroe Mandolins are now available at www.banjos.co.nz/mandolin.html

After researching the Mandolins for sale in New Zealand on the music stores that have web sites, I have found the same results, there is little choice of something more than the usual low cost average stuff available here either from the Rock Shop or others, Arias, Epiphones, Savannah, Ibanez etc. A&F models, all look to have pretty poor specs, no doubt that they are ok at what they do ?, but they look much like that they are all out of the same “bag” to me.
    Looked at the Artiste Banjos web site Napier, (www.banjos.co.nz) and at what they sell on Trademe, they have a range of Morgan Monroe's all solid wood models & pretty unique looking, also had a look at the Morgan website at what they manufacture, if you are looking for something in NZ with a higher quality & more personal, & more expensive ! (you get what you pay for), then Artiste Banjos may be worth a look, can save on freight & customs costs etc. rather than importing.

If nothing turns up in N.Z., I'd explore what's available in Australia. Shipping would be a lot cheaper at least, and the exchange rate is a little better.

http://www.guitarfactory.net/Folk/Mandolins.htm have everything from Kentucky, Eastman on up to Collings.

http://www.guitarfactory.net/Folk/Mandolins.htm carries Kentucky, Eastman, Fender and the like.

Australia has some excellent builders, Rob Grant, Peter Coombes come to mind. Oh yeh, and some bloke called Gilchrist. It's a serious option as the factory built higher end instruments are ridiculously priced. It's a function of smaller market that builders don't get paid what they would in larger markets.

What about that auction site? Shipping from China is about 10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiaan56 View Post
    Australia has some excellent builders, Rob Grant, Peter Coombes come to mind. Oh yeh, and some bloke called Gilchrist.
    Paul Duff in Perth is a high end builder but I don't suppose that OP is looking for one of these high end mandos.

Five builders listed in New Zealand on the Cafe builders list

If you import don't get caught out with customs costs, heres a usefull link for duty costs etc. http://www.importduty.co.nz/ that will calculate the damage, you even get charged GST on freight !.

Hey rack, I know I'm massively late to the game, but for the future you might want to check out Lewis Eady on Great South Road, not far from Newmarket. I used to work there and they get all kinds of beautiful instruments. I'm not sure what their stock is like now (I live in London now), but they'll certainly know how to get stuff in. Hope you're enjoying your mando!

I'm coming home for Christmas for a holiday, looking forward to being back in Aotearoa! Did you ever manage to find any good local shops? would be nice to see the selection!