Thread: Vincente Sanchis Mandolin

Default Vincente Sanchis Mandolin

A co-worker is looking to learn to play the mando. She came in with a mandolin I believe to be Spanish in origin. Her father had it in the closet. It appears to be a fine instrument to start on. It seems to be in good condition: the neck is straight, the seams are tight and the finish is in good shape. The neck seems a bit shorter than even the old A models and it appears that the finish was applied right over the frets. Leads me to believe it probably was a relatively inexpensive instrument.
    I tuned up the strings that were on it and the sound is a little on the dead side. I think new strings would make a good bit of a difference though I have no allusion that it'll ever sound great.
    On the stricker the name "Vincente Sanchis" appears as does the word "Masansa".
    I am wondering if anyone has any info on this type of mando. Just curious.

Default Re: Vincente Sanchis Mandolin

Vicente Sanchis is a Spanish guitar brand, made in Masanasa, near Valencia. Here's a link to info on their guitars; they apparently also make "Spanish style" mandolins, bandurrias and laudes. They're said to produce 700 instruments/month, which would make them a sizable manufacturer. Prices on the guitars are all over $2K, so if the mandolin's at a comparable quality level, you may well have a quite decent instrument.
    Last edited by allenhopkins; Apr-23-2009 at 12:03pm.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks for the link Allen. I followed it around but couldn't find any reference to mandolins. It must be quite a while since they made any.
    This instrument doesn't seem to be the quality of their guitars (at least as they appear on the web). The tuners are kind of junky and it appears that the finish - whatever it is - was applied right over the fretboard, frets and all. It has rubbbed off the frets where it has been played but not on the higher frets.
    We'll put new strings on her and look for some improvement. But even if it's only slightly better it'll still be fine as a starter.

Blog Entries

Some years ago I had for a while one more collectable cipres mando signed by Vicente Sanchis Badia himself.... It was not as great as other axes he made so I had to decide because of budget limitation at the time.... or a mandolin or a spanish laud so I kept the laud...... I guess it was around the time just before Sanchis retired from making instruments in 2000.