Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go easy on me

Default Re: Go easy on me

Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    Sounds like a challenge if ever I heard one.
    I guess I should have said publicly angry. Haha... pardon the mistake.
    and = My Loves

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Womandolin View Post
    I guess I should have said publicly angry. Haha... pardon the mistake.
    I'm not that ornery anyway. I enjoyed your playing enough for me to start learning that tune, by the way. I've been playing about 2 weeks and I think it'll be a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia View Post
    I don't get it, explain it to me!
    many mountains to climb ... she's obviously got what it takes.

now, about this turtle thing ...

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I learn a lot when I learn a new tune, then hear a "fancier" version. It helps me understand where the ornamentation goes, etc.

For some reason I'm not discouraged by watching Dawg and the like. It's the ones that smoked me when they were ten years old (Sierra Hull, et al) that make me want to turn in my picks...

I think Womandolin (Erin?) has a lot to be proud of. She obviously has a lot of talent and has learned very fast. I look into more vids from her. Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by PanaDP View Post
    I'm not that ornery anyway. I enjoyed your playing enough for me to start learning that tune, by the way. I've been playing about 2 weeks and I think it'll be a good one.
    Yeah! Learn Harvest Home too. I love that one. It's something about the up and down jumpy sound they both have. So much fun.
    and = My Loves

Sounds great! Lovely tone, well done!

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Blog Entries

I that it's better to learn the tune as simply as possible and add in any extras later either on your own or as you hear them played by others.
    I find it hard sometimes to know what is the skeleton of the tune, necessary you know, and what is an extra or a particular player's or regional take on the tune.

I think I played three versions of Soldiers Joy for years without realizing they were the same tune.

Fisher's is another, I learned several B parts, and when I play with folks I have just met I don't know which one to use. So I just jump around between them, and get it right at the second B.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I find it hard sometimes to know what is the skeleton of the tune, necessary you know, and what is an extra or a particular player's or regional take on the tune.

I think I played three versions of Soldiers Joy for years without realizing they were the same tune.

Fisher's is another, I learned several B parts, and when I play with folks I have just met I don't know which one to use. So I just jump around between them, and get it right at the second B.
    I think that's the fun part. I'm not quite ready for playing at sessions yet but I like the idea of kind of not having a tune memorized one particular way, but a few different ways, and being able to switch between them when I need to.
    and = My Loves

I think that's the fun part. I'm not quite ready for playing at sessions yet but I like the idea of kind of not having a tune memorized one particular way, but a few different ways, and being able to switch between them when I need to.
    What I really like (and can't do on mandolin yet. I can with guitar) is to have the familiarity with the instrument that you can make it up as you go, even if you only know the very most basic skeleton of a tune.

No wonder i couldn't put 2 notes together - NONE of theose note are on my Mandolin !!!.
    I've always thought that watching Chris Thile's right hand picking motion - he 'paints' note rather than plays them,as for his left hand,that thing has a life all it's own !,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saska View Post
    No wonder i couldn't put 2 notes together - NONE of theose note are on my Mandolin !!!.
    Yeah, Ivan, it's a GEAR problem. I always thought so. I probably need to get a Loar or a Dude, so I will have those 27 "bonus notes" that are missing from my Eastman. I'm sure I could play like Chris if I just had the hardware...

Yes to what others have said. Nice lilt, good timing, clear playing.

And remember, mandolin is not a race.

Quote Originally Posted by billkilpatrick View Post
    many mountains to climb ... she's obviously got what it takes.

now, about this turtle thing ...
    one of my friends has a unicorn thing and another a pig thing so I can completely understand a turtle thing!

Quote Originally Posted by auteq View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afzl3A8o7vE

Here is the Marshall/Thile version. I debated putting the link on since it is a bit humbling, but if you havn't seen it, it is good to see two of the best go at it. If this freaks you out remember they have been playing longer than 4mos (in Marshall's case 6mo at least).
    I keep trying to pick out the think that they do at 1:51 in that vid by ear. But they play so dang fast.
    and = My Loves

Nell, Nell, and Nell all aprove. Very nice indeed. One thing that helped me playing in front of people was that I was playing for the Master, and if others were welcome to listen. I look on them as friends and family. I seldom play anything perfect and accept that, but it's important to enjoy yourself in the music, turtle turds and all.

I love the way you played FH. Very melodious and each note was heard distinctly. As a fairly new mando player myself, you have inspired me to try to learn that tune now!

And yes, there is nothing wrong with that mandolin's tone! In fact, I think it sounds better than some of the other Asian-made mandos out there. From what I recall, there are (or were) made in Asia for Tacoma, and have some of the same features that their USA-made counterparts have. I know some of the Olympia guitars are real sleepers.

Keep up the good work! Share some more with us.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Fstpicker View Post
    I love the way you played FH. Very melodious and each note was heard distinctly. As a fairly new mando player myself, you have inspired me to try to learn that tune now!

And yes, there is nothing wrong with that mandolin's tone! In fact, I think it sounds better than some of the other Asian-made mandos out there. From what I recall, there are (or were) made in Asia for Tacoma, and have some of the same features that their USA-made counterparts have. I know some of the Olympia guitars are real sleepers.

Keep up the good work! Share some more with us.

Jeff
    Thanks for the kind words. Do learn the tune! I love hearing different versions of my favorites. I think everyone should post theirs in here. TallMike is done. Everyone else.. go!
    and = My Loves

Thanks for the kind words. Do learn the tune! I love hearing different versions of my favorites. I think everyone should post theirs in here. TallMike is done. Everyone else.. go!
    Working on it. Who knows how I'll record it when I've got it down, but I'm working on it.

I have a really neat Tascam 4 track digital recorder I haven't even begun to figure out yet! This ain't yer daddy's old Teac reel to reel that's for sure. I'm pretty much digitally challenged...I'll figure it out one of these days and then spread out everybody...HaHaHa.

Quote Originally Posted by mandozilla View Post
    I have a really neat Tascam 4 track digital recorder I haven't even begun to figure out yet! This ain't yer daddy's old Teac reel to reel that's for sure. I'm pretty much digitally challenged...I'll figure it out one of these days and then spread out everybody...HaHaHa.

The funny thing is that I'm a professional cameraman and have the knowhow to do full on studio engineering. I just own absolutely no equipment for it.

I just posted a clip of my own (not the same tune). Womandolin inspired me to get over it and do it for the improvement of my playing. I just did it with the built in mic in my laptop and then EQed it to sound closer to decent.

Hey Womandolin did you know there is a "C" part to Fishers Hornpipe that's sort of an extension to the "B" part. It's fun to through that in there. It starts in the key of (D).
    So you would play it AA BB CC

Here is a mandozine link to the tab that has an old time version with it ... The 4th one down listed as oldtime in the catagory. I think it's pretty cool.

http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...ableEdit+Files
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Hi Lee - The only 'gear' problem is that i'm stuck in 1st when it comes to trying to play like that. Seriously,that sort of playing,far from putting me off,sets me off on 'lonnnnnnggggg' practice sessions. First the 'aspiration' then the 'perspiration'. I always remember what my old Physical Education Instructor used to tell me 1st- Imagine doing it /2nd- Practice doing it / 3rd - DO IT !!. This was a guy who trained two of my college classmates who were selected for the England 'under 21' Soccer team, so i reckon he knew what he was talking about. If i never get to be as good (or even 'close') it won't be for lack of trying - no such thing as a free lunch as you guys so aptly put it !,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    Hey Womandolin did you know there is a "C" part to Fishers Hornpipe that's sort of an extension to the "B" part. It's fun to through that in there. It starts in the key of (D).
    So you would play it AA BB CC

Here is a mandozine link to the tab that has an old time version with it ... The 4th one down listed as oldtime in the catagory. I think it's pretty cool.

http://www.mandozine.com/music/searc...ableEdit+Files
    I am excited about this one.. but it says that windows does not recognize the file type. How did you open it?
    and = My Loves

I revisited your video again just now and I had to pick up my always present guitar and give you some backing. Really cool. We gotta jam the next time you get to West Michigan.

I am excited about this one.. but it says that windows does not recognize the file type. How did you open it?
    Try this link to the Mandozine site:

http://www.mandozine.com/music/tabledit_search.php

Directly above the space where it asks you what tune you're searching for, there are some links to files [to download] which should help you see these types of files. There are a lot of good transcriptions on that website.

Enjoy!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso