Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go easy on me

Default Go easy on me

So... in order to become less nervous playing in front of people, I've decided to start posting some of my playing on youtube. I am a beginner.. so please be kind but any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

I realize there some tempo issues, (wrote about them in the description) but like I wrote there, it's hard to play my best when someone is listening.

and = My Loves

Blog Entries

Default Re: Go easy on me

Very nice. Very nice. Very musical and great tone. Holds together as a tune really well at that tempo. Don't speed it up if you have to sacrifice the precision and tone and consistent rhythm you already have on the tune.

I wouldn't worry a bit about the speed. It will come. Keep playing like that and the speed will come. An old fiddler friend of mine once told me "Ye got no business it playin fast if ye can't play it slow".
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Dang girl! That's mighty fine. How long have you been playing? I don't know what kind of mandolin you're playing but you're squeezing some very nice tone out of it. BTW, out here in SoCal we call that one 'Fishers' Hornpipe'...interesting how the names vary by region. Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by mandozilla View Post
    Dang girl! That's mighty fine. How long have you been playing? I don't know what kind of mandolin you're playing but you're squeezing some very nice tone out of it. BTW, out here in SoCal we call that one 'Fishers' Hornpipe'...interesting how the names vary by region. Keep up the good work!

I've been taking lessons about 4 months. Before that I kind of messed around with it but never practiced with any consistency. I bought my $300 Olympia A style mandolin about a year ago. I didn't do any research I just went to the music store and left with her. I was going to upgrade soon, but apparently I'm not getting a tax refund this year so.. this will have to do for now.
    and = My Loves

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Very nice. Very nice. Very musical and great tone. Holds together as a tune really well at that tempo. Don't speed it up if you have to sacrifice the precision and tone and consistent rhythm you already have on the tune.

I wouldn't worry a bit about the speed. It will come. Keep playing like that and the speed will come. An old fiddler friend of mine once told me "Ye got no business it playin fast if ye can't play it slow".
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I agree about getting it right first and speeding up later. But sometimes I get a little impatient.
    and = My Loves

Musical Photo Junkie Chris Keth's Avatar

Nothing wrong with that! The tempo is really nice and, most important of all, you played it very cleanly.

4 mos??? Very Good.

Also, it is interesting to hear fishers hornpipe in hornpipe rythm, I have not heard it that way in a while. Bluegrass types tend to play it straight.

Go Yanks!

I too, want to add I think you're on the right track. Tone and rhythm first. Good!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by auteq View Post
    Bluegrass types tend to play it straight.

Thats true.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Well, listening to that had the effect of making me get out my mandolin to learn the tune from you. You must be doing something right!

ACM

Not bad sound pretty good to me especially considering you've only been playing 4 months.

They are many people who don't have any musical aptitude will never ever be able to play what you did!

Keep up the good work... You're doing great!
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Very nice. Nice steady rhythm and clear notes.

Perfect; it would pass no less than Tony Rice's "Three T's" criteria for good music: Tone, Timing and Taste. Tone is sweet and clear, timing is steady (tempo is almost irrelevant when you have that, which is way more important) and your version is tastefully interesting. FH is generally played at such a breakneck showboating tempo that one quickly loses interest in listening to it.
    Your note choices in the resolving end lines are interesting to listen to. Congratulations.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

I can't improve on the comments above (from folks far more experienced than myself). I enjoyed it fine. I have been futzing around for maybe 5 years, and working seriously to learn the mandolin for about a year now, and I can't say I have made this much progress. Plus, you recorded it *and* put it on YouTube. As you push yourself, you're pushing folks like me too. Well done.

Wow guys.. not to be a pessimist, but I was expecting a lot more criticisms. Thanks for the compliments! It's very helpful to know that someone enjoys my playing.
    and = My Loves

nothing to be critical about there - really well played - wish i could play notes as cleanly. never heard of it before but your "olympia" has a surprisingly nice tone.

yay! - bill

As others have said - well played! For only four months' lessons that sounds really good. Clean playing, nice tone and good rhythm.

Wow, imagine what you'll be doing when you've been playing for a couple of years

Fliss

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Hey Dubbya,

Good to see you back here. Sounds great! Cool pic on the clip-- you fly too?

Destroyer of Mandolins

Very good tone (don't sacrifice that for anything!), and a good, solid tempo. BTW, that is about the speed you'd play it for dancers. Like the others said, this tune is often blasted through. Whenever we have dancers I have to remind the band (especially the bodhran player) "Now remember guys, DANCE tempo!" Your version would be welcome at any Irish gathering.

The only thing I can think of is to suggest spending more time on your triplets. They'll smooth out with practice. But still very good indeed for such a short while! Many players take a loooong time to perfect triplets. They are one of the hardest ornaments and they can make or break a tune. They need to be fluid; without any hesitation.

When you practice your triplets, try counting them by saying the word as three syllables, like this:

"Trip-el-et one a-two-a-three-a-four-a", or
    "Trip-el-et one-a-two-a-one-a-two-a", etc, depending on the time signature and rhythm of the tune.

That will help you fit the triplet into the 'lilt' rhythm. For Bluegrass, of course, you'd play it straighter. (Unlike Auteq, I hear it played like that all the time, LOL)

There is an annoying background noise in the video you should address. It distracts from your playing. It sounds like a phone off the hook. But that has nothing to do with you.

As you continue along, try not to become dependant on playing that one lone note to 'test' before you begin. Don't cultivate that habit.

Other than those piddling things, I have to say I enjoyed that very much, and keep it up!!

Do you find that recording like this is helping with the stage fright?
    Last edited by Tim2723; Apr-12-2009 at 5:20am.
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Good idea to record and publish to get used to audience - that's the way out of the turtle shell.

I always recommend to anyone to stubbornly play mistakes and bad style to others until they no longer bother about criticism, but apparently you skipped that phase. Good playing, sweet tone, Congrats!

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I thought that was great !!. Yesterday,i came across a YouTube clip of Mike Marshall & Chris Thile playing the same tune.I can play it on 5-string but had never tried it on Mandolin. I tried it & i couldn't put 2 notes together in the right place. I've been playing for 3 1/2 years now so you're doing pretty darned well - BRILLIANT !,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Very nice! Great tone and musicality.

Nothing wrong with that! Ditto on what everybody above said.
    "I'm your density."

Thank you for posting.

You have a very gentle and pleasant touch, great tone, and your timing is right on. Be encouraged.

chuck