Thread: Refret pays huge dividends

Default Refret pays huge dividends

My 1983 Lloyd LaPlant F-5 (#11) has been needing a refret for too long, but I put it off because my band was busy and I didn't want to let it out of my sight for an extended period of time.

In the meantime, I found myself moderating my string attack, even avoiding certain notes that were guaranteed to "buzz and clank" -- a foolish economy akin to putting off a trip to the dentist while decay sets in.

I finally got an opening in my schedule of a few weeks and contacted luthier Dave Houchens, maker of the "Bryce" mandolins, who lives in North Garden, VA, a few miles south of Charlottesville (Bryce Mandolins).

I've always admired his work and my friend and picker/collector of fine mandolins Tommy Burnley has always spoken highly of his craftsmanship.

I dropped my mando off on a Friday evening with a worklist that included a full refret, nut replacement (bone), bridge adjustment, neck finish removal, tailpiece replacement and neck scoop.

"Want it back by next Friday?" said Dave.

"Huh? Uh, yeah, well, if it's not too much trouble -- is that enough time?"

"Sure. No problem, unless I run into something unexpected."

And a week later, there I was picking it up and hanging around at the shop for an impromptu jam session with some of Dave's friends.

The most surprising thing in all this was the effect the refret and other repairs have had on my playing. I am attacking the strings in a way I never did before and the instrument is responding with more volume and definition. It's obvious now that I was holding back and my playing was too tentative. Just like a gradual change in my vision, it went unnoticed until I got "new musical lenses". Everything looks sharper!

The moral of this story: Don't put off those repairs! Those deficiencies are affecting your playing!
    "Got time to breathe, got time for music" -- Briscoe Darling

Default Re: Refret pays huge dividends

Dangerous curves and bald tires...just hope the revenue man isn't behind you, Junior!

Yes, get that routine work done. It's like getting a new instrument made out of old wood.

Until I took John Hamlett's advice on the significant improvement new frets can make on a mandolin, I was a skeptic, too. Not any more. Best investment you can make on your mandolin and playing, as far as I am concerned. Good story!

It is refreshing to see that this information is getting through! All too often I've dealt with customers who needed a refret and just would not get one to save a few bucks. When your mandolin won't play or sound like it is supposed to you don't save a thing! I've never seen a time when a customer got a refret and was sorry after. In every case they noticed a real improvement in the mandolin in both tone and playability. Thank you for your report!
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Blog Entries

Totally agree. My mandolin plays, and sounds, better than ever after getting the refret that I should have gotten years ago.
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Jim, Thanks for the kind words. I do try to get refrets and repairs back to working musicians as fast as I can. I also enjoy looking at mandolins I don't often see. That may be the only LaPlant I've seen. I really enjoyed the pickin too.