Thread: Music of Venezuela, Joropo

Default Music of Venezuela, Joropo

Greetings all, I played a bit this past weekend with some friends and heard something on mandolin titled "Brisas del Zulia", a folk tune from Venezuela.
    Has a waltz like feel and very beautiful; here you will see a duet perfoming something that sounds nearly identical to what I heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci3Pc...eature=related

Would anyone know where I might find notation or tab for this song or genre?
    Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by Geiss; Apr-06-2009 at 10:16am.

Default Re: Music of Venezuela, Joropo

I highly recommend the CD mentioned in this post: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ghlight=joropo

It features a phenomenal all star joropo band. These are virtuosos, so the tunes are not as accessible as the waltz at your link.

John

A thoughtful and very musical friend lent me a stellar CD from a band by the name of Ensemble Gurrufio. The release is El Cruzao. Really fabulous Venezuelan group comprising upright bass, flute, mandolin and small guitar (much like that depicted in the youtub piece linked above).

Enjoy!!!!!!!

This topic comes up so rarely (Venezuelan music and joropo), I'd be very remiss to not tell everyone to drop everything immediately, dust off your copies of Mike Marshalls 'Brasil (Duets),' and put on track 3.

What, you don't own a copy? And you call yourself a mandolinist? Shame on you, order a copy now!

Sorry, where was I?

Track 3 is 'el diablo suelte' which translates roughly to 'Slippery Devil.' It's a joropo, and Jackie Rago (a native Venezuelan who now lives in the Bay Area, and an amazing cuatrista!) plays cuatro with him. It's some of the best string playing recorded... ever.

'joropo,' by the way, if my sources are correct, is pronounced something like ho-ro-po, and that's getting closer to Yoo-ro-po which is closer to Yoo-ro-pa, which gets dangerously close to Europa. So a 'joropo' is a waltz in the European style. And, since the early writers of the 'joropo' style were folk musicians, it didn't take a lot of sophistication to set the style off from the simpler folk forms.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

End of last year we went to venezuela to record with the great Ensamble Gurrufio, a album that will be out soon, including "el diablo suelto" and we did several images of the recordings the jams so
    if you guys want to see the modern venezuelian players go to www.hamiltondeholanda.com/site/hhtv.php

there you choose Episode 11 - you gonna see many of the young virtusoses check out

if you want to understand why venezuela and his excelency in music check those links

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/464

toohttp://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/466

Thanks everyone, great thread! Marcos, those TED links, WOW. ...Looking forward to the CD.
    *mandolin mind, beginner mind*

David

After watching the video of Brisas del Zulia, I would like to learn it. I Googled for the notation but couldn't find anything. Repeating your request...does anyone have the notation they could share?

Here's a new one. Neat stuff!

Michael Reichenbach

Hello,
    The Music of Venezela indeed is very rich, and is using many different plucked instruments, including the mandolin.
    During the Mandolinensymposium 2008 in Germany Jose Antonio Zambrano informed about Venezuela and its music, after this I searched for more information.

I have collected almost 30 interesting links here:

http://delicious.com/mandoisland/venezuela

Maybe you can make use of this.

My favorite Venezuelan video ist this:
    Homepage: www.mandoisland.de / Blog: www.mandoisland.com / Freiburg / Germany

I lived in Venezuela for many years, their musical culture and heritage is absolutely fabulous. This is the country where we find the highest rate of musicians per population, there are orchestras, bands and concerts everywhere, most of them are free. The sounds of the cuatro and creole harp (harpa criollo) is something very special...
    "People will be more impressed with your playing than the price of your instrument."