Thread: Choro Samplers

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default Choro Samplers

I've just started listening to some choro music on YouTube, and dig it. I was talking with a friend the other night about various genres of music. He had never heard of choro, and I told him I'd send him some links.

I did a search on "choro music" on YT, and came up with a bunch of stuff that looked to be Brazilian popular music. I think some of it was samba, which I'm not that familiar with. The info notes on a lot of the clips I found was all in Portugese, which doesn't help me much. Wikipedia says it is usually played AABBACCA-- is that a pretty general rule? A lot of it is so fast and complicated that I'm not sure I could pick out the parts.

Can you folks post some clips and/or links to some good choro?

Default Re: Choro Samplers

Search for Jacob do Bandolim.

I like this

and this

and this.

Yes, the (classic) form is AA BB A CC AA, the rhythm is 2/4, and is similar to samba (but not the bossa nova style that incorporated samba), and rather close to tango, in some cases, too.

Marilynn Mair has been going to Rio de Janeiro for the last few years to learn choro on bandolim from the masters. She has articles on her website that define choro and talk about choro resources. http://www.marilynnmair.com/articles.shtml

You might be also interested in her Brazilian log.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Cool, thanks for the replies. In this video (at the end), he's playing by whacking the strings with some kind of rod or stick. Gets a cool effect-- is that a Brazilian thing? I hadn't seen that before.

Also, is Jacob do Bandolim the reason that particular kind of flat mandolin called a bandolim?

No, he's named for the instrument, not the other way 'round.. He played the bandolim (mandolin), so he became known as Jacob do Bandolim ("Mandolin Jacob"). There are other musicians in Brazil who are known by their instruments' names..

BTW Jacob do Bandolim died in 1969 - most of the stuff on youtube are contemporary players playing his compositions. The vid you posted featured Armandinho Macedo.

Here's the real guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ9h3zaypyw

Just search this board for choro or Jacob do Bandolim (lots of stuff on choro on the tenor guitar too). Tons and tons of links.

Hey Lee,

Armandinho is kind of a hot-rod rock-star bad boy of choro, and his playing's not that typical, more flash-and-trash (I'd like to be that flashy-and-trashy myself one day!). The thing he does with a stick at the end is an Armandinho thing, not a choro thing. It was probably inspired by the berimbau, a Brazilian instrument used a lot in capoeira.

There are two top choro composers, Jacob do Bandolim and Pixinguinha, kind of like Mozart and Beethove in classical music. Plenty of others, but these two are head-and-shoulders above the rest. To round things out, there's Ernesto Nazareth, who's never that far from the top of the list.

So do a search for Pixinguinha to get a bunch of links to take you in a bunch of different directions.

For players, if you want the best modern "Jacob do Bandolim" player, look up Danilo Brito. He's a total monster on the bandolim, untouchable chops, perfect timing and unbelievable expression at speed, but exquisite touch and vast delicacy in the slower stuff. Anything Danilo touches is gold, and his playing is what Jacob himself might have aspired to.

Two other great players are Hamilton de Holanda and Dudu Maia, both of whom are killer at choro, but who also branch out into a variety of Brazilian styles.

If you want to try a choro or two for yourself, see if you can find 'Vibracoes' by Jacob or 'Carinhoso' by Pixinguinha. Those are both great slower starter tunes, but they give and give and give, and the better you get, the better these tunes will sound.

The problem you'll have in Antarctica is that all these tunes sound better with accompaniment, and many of them sound incomplete by themselves.

But 'Carinhoso' makes a great chord-melody solo arrangement if you can get it worked out, and a lot of people have their own solo version of it.

'Doce de Coco' (Jacob) is great, because the melody spells out the harmony pretty directly, and it can be pretty satisfying to play even without accompaniment. The tempo is a medium-slow, and so very manageable. 'Naquele Tempo' (Pixinguinha) sort of fits into that category, too. The A section of 'Benzihno' (Jacob) works well this way, too, but the B sort of needs the accompaniment.

For more difficult tunes that stand by themselves as solo pieces because the melody outlines the harmony so well, it would be hard to beat Garoto's 'Desvairada,' a true fingerbuster that will teach you a lot of great mandolin technique. And there's always Jacob's 'O Voo da Mosca,' another great self-propelled tune that provides endless hours of solo ecstasy.

Hope this helps. Enjoy. Watch out, though. As Mike Marshall says, "It's a really deep well, so be careful. If you fall in, it's a really long climb out!"

P.S. edit note: Just looking at the titles, 'Carinhoso,' 'Vibracoes,' 'Doce de Coco,' and 'Benzinho' are all 2-part pieces, and the repeat structure tends to be looser. And 'Desvairada' and 'Voo da Mosca,' while they sport the AABBACCA repeat structure, are waltzes. So it looks like the only tune on the list above that fits the category of 2/4 time signature with AABBACCA structure is 'Naquele Tempo.' So much for categories, eh?
    Last edited by Doug Hoople; Jul-07-2009 at 1:22pm.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

You pretty much can't go wrong with Mike Marshall's book, for starters. The tunes are standard fare if you play with others. But you can branch out quickly. The Choro Book V.1 (there appears to not be a V2 yet), is another great resource, and includes a lot not in Mike's book. The goal in that "white book" is to get the tunes to one page if possible. There are others available from Atlantico books and other resources on the web.

Mike Marshall's Choro Famoso is a great starting point, but as mentioned, Jacob's original recordings (along with as many Pixing. recordings) are the real starting place to listen for timing, ornamentation, and just plain soul for us mandolin players. There is a fabulous play along set of the original Jacob recordings, (he used multi tracking so his backup band is on one track and he played on the other, so it's easy to hear). And of course, Amazing Slowdowner is essential to get the timing right, IMHO.

have fun... and yes, it's a deep well...

Here are some more finds for you to enjoy:

Some classic Choro videos

Choro on reso tenor guitar

Renato Anesi
    (playes his own music)

AQuattro (with Dudu Maia)

Channel of Dudu Maia

Great interview and playing with JORGE CARDOSO (six parts)

Just studied with Dudu (along w/ Danilo Brito and Joao their guitar player) at the Mandolin Symposium. Dudu will bringing out what appears to be a great performance video in HD in the fall. Keep an eye open for it. Not sure whether it will actually open in some kind of theater or whether it will just be available online.

And yes, the classic tv performance of Dino 7 C. that Michael references above is a great primer on how to play it, including a great sound of Dino's driving 7th string bass line, which for those of us who can't find a 7 string player in our neck of the woods, is a great instruction on what a normal bass player might want to listen to.
    Last edited by Al Bergstein; Jul-12-2009 at 1:50pm.

Keith

I've been looking through the ol' YouTube Library, and I found this w/ Mike Marshall's Choro Famoso, which I really enjoyed.

Dad-gum, it's not good enough for me to be mediocre at one or two types of music...now I'm finding stuff like choro that will require a whole new level of musicianship. Ah, my travails...

Here's the link just in case my first ever YouTube embed didn't work -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyI3c...eature=channel

Man, this stuff is just straight up cool music. Mellow but passionate, complicated but highly listenable, and a great antidote for the never-far-off Vermont winter!
    Last edited by pigpen; Jul-12-2009 at 11:53pm. Reason: yep, messed up the embed the first time

Good stuff.