Thread: One-Piece or Brekke bridge?

Default One-Piece or Brekke bridge?

I'm looking to upgrade my Gretsch's stock rosewood bridge and after doing much research have narrowed it down to either a one piece ebony bridge or Brekke (6 piece) adjustable bridge.

The one piece can be ordered preslotted and I can fit the feet myself. The Brekke I will have to take it to a shop to have fitted.

Which bridge should I get?
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Default Re: One-Piece or Brekke bridge?

you should get a cumberland acoustics bridge
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

3. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlackVeil View Post
    you should get a cumberland acoustics bridge
    I was just looking at those.. What would be the benefit/s with a Cumberland other than tranditional adjusters?
    Waterloo WL-M

If you want to experiment with a cheaper priced one piece bridge I would say go ahead, but I would be reluctant to spend much money on upgrades. They just don't seem to help as much as saving that money toward a new mandolin would.

Having said that, I had a great experience getting better sound out of my mandolin by changing my bridge... My Weber Bighorn came with a Brekke bridge and when I switched to the Brekke traditional I felt it had an improvement in tone.

But I already had a lot of money into a custom instrument that was *almost* to where I wanted it.

Now it really is just about all the mandolin I can want... As long as I can have a few others on the side!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

Dang, I bought this Gretsch for $173 and figured after all my upgrades (schaller tuners, new nut, and bridge) I still would be with in the same class of mando price wise.
    Waterloo WL-M

Someone skilled enough to make and fit a one piece bridge is unknown
    as to who and cost, But
    the actual materials, a piece of maple, should be cheap enough.

There is a certain amount of 'you can't make a silk Purse out of a Sow's ear'

.. trying to improve the tone out of a less resonant low cost mandolin.
    so bear that in mind ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I'm actually looking at getting a Siminoff ebony one piece bridge.

My goal isn't to make this little Gretsch sound like a $2000-$5000 mando. Just trying to get the best tone I can with it as I won't be upgrading for the next two years.
    Waterloo WL-M

A bridge must be fitted to match the curve of the top.. not exactly plug and Play.

I'd put the fingering the notes , setup, ahead of bridge swapping..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post

There is a certain amount of 'you can't make a silk Purse out of a Sow's ear'
    Yup.

11. The following members say thank you to Mike Bunting for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Try the one piece.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    A bridge must be fitted to match the curve of the top.. not exactly plug and Play.

I'd put the fingering the notes , setup, ahead of bridge swapping..
    Agreed.
    Waterloo WL-M

I up-fitted my 2003 Washburn m3sw with an ebony cumberland acoustic single foot (makes continuous contact with mandolin top across the entire length of bridge - f hole to f hole) adjustable bridge. Immediate difference in tone. brought out more "woodiness" in the chop and clarity throughout. I spent about 2 days sanding and working to make that bridge to fit the top of my mandolin perfectly. (as I did with the painted rosewood pac-rim bridge that came on it years ago when I bought it)

The $175 I've put in on an Allen cast tailpiece and the Cumberland bridge on my Washburn is minimal and definitely worth every penny comparing it to the way it sounded before adding anything. I've lurked in the shadows on this site enough over the years and (for the most part) heed the advice to save on a better mandolin instead of throwing money at a lesser built box of wood and wire- Any more than what I have paid over the years would not be worth it- especaily considering I only paid $325 for the thing used 5 years ago.

I also agree with the comment above regarding practice and improving technique overall to improve the way you pick and finger notes. Building up my right wrist (speed and attack) and learning to play with a thicker/heavier pick has made the biggest difference overall.

the guys over at cumberland... top notch customer service!!! very easy to work with.

Step 1: Decent professional set-up.
    Step 2: Tone-Gard.
    Step 3. Experiment with string gauges and picks.

These things are going to make FAR more of a difference than changing the bridge.
    PJ Doland
    1923 Gibson Snakehead A

16. The following members say thank you to PJ Doland for this post:

but a properly-fit one-piece bridge (ala teens Gibson) seems to make the most, "engineering" sense (to me). I'm also happy with the Loar-style "thumbwheel" bridge. That said, I tried the "Loar-style" on my A3 and went back to the original. I'm pretty skeptical about many claims. I'd just think there is a bridge efficiency between two (or more) properly-fit bridge types.

f-d

p.s., agree on strings, picks, general setup, technique are more important to overall play.

18. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

My stock bridge snapped so I got a cumberland. I was surprised how close to fit it came so I got lucky and had a little sanding to fit mine. I think it helped. It is much thicker than the stock bridge on a The Loar, which gives me some piece of mind.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

20. The following members say thank you to Barry Wilson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    but a properly-fit one-piece bridge (ala teens Gibson) seems to make the most, "engineering" sense (to me). I'm also happy with the Loar-style "thumbwheel" bridge. That said, I tried the "Loar-style" on my A3 and went back to the original. I'm pretty skeptical about many claims. I'd just think there is a bridge efficiency between two (or more) properly-fit bridge types.

f-d

p.s., agree on strings, picks, general setup, technique are more important to overall play.
    That's what my thinking is. I'm going to order a Siminoff one-piece ebony bridge (preslotted) and fit it to the top myself. Down the road I plan on having a bone or pearl nut fitted by a luthier to replace to plastic stock unit.

I can already play four finger chop chords, some fiddle tunes and working on more a little bit everyday.

My thing is I just really like my Gretsch G9310 as it has a good tone, plays well and I don't see anything wrong with putting better quality parts on it to get the most out of it. Will it sound as good as a Collings? No, but I'm not aiming for the sky...
    Waterloo WL-M

First i would do a proper fit for the bridge you have. Most of the time bridges don't fit well and don't sound good because of that. It would be a way to see what improvement you could expect and practice fitting a bridge, Also new mandolins may change the arch of the top as the string pressure is on for a while. It may be very small, but enough to have the bridge not fit well. Same as adding heavier strings will give more pressure and push down the top more possible making a ill fitting bridge worse. Most inexpensive mandolins come with very light gauge strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

What strings and pick are you using?

f-d

I agree with pops1... Did you fit your current bridge? If you haven't you may want to do that first because it can make a difference.

I just swapped an adjustable bridge for one of Siminoff's nonadjustable bridges and I think it was an improvement. It was on a teens Gibson A though.

If you take your time bridges are pretty easy to fit. So far I have done about 7 or 8 on mandolins and they all came out fine except this last one which I took it down a little too far. If I dig in hard with the pick I found that I'll get a little buzzing so I am going to add a shim to it.

Here are some links that you might find useful:

http://www.mandolinluthier.com/Bridge_fitting.htm

http://siminoff.net/cms/wp-content/u..._bridges-1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    What strings and pick are you using?

f-d
    J73 strings as I like the lower tension and tone.

Fender 351 Extra Heavy celluloid picks
    Waterloo WL-M

Quote Originally Posted by westsideryan View Post
    I agree with pops1... Did you fit your current bridge? If you haven't you may want to do that first because it can make a difference.

I just swapped an adjustable bridge for one of Siminoff's nonadjustable bridges and I think it was an improvement. It was on a teens Gibson A though.

If you take your time bridges are pretty easy to fit. So far I have done about 7 or 8 on mandolins and they all came out fine except this last one which I took it down a little too far. If I dig in hard with the pick I found that I'll get a little buzzing so I am going to add a shim to it.

Here are some links that you might find useful:

http://www.mandolinluthier.com/Bridge_fitting.htm

http://siminoff.net/cms/wp-content/u..._bridges-1.pdf
    Thanks for the info Ryan! I plan on fitting my current (adjustable rosewood bridge- really cheap looking) next week. I like the idea of a solid piece of ebony as a transmission platform to the soundboard top.

I don't mind not having adjusters as I didn't have an adjustable bridge on my upright bass (I toured all over the country with) and never had a really problem with.
    Waterloo WL-M

Keep in mind that the bridge is not just a transmission mechanism, it's also a filter.
    Stephen Perry

28. The following members say thank you to Stephen Perry for this post:

Jim 

garded

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Perry View Post
    Keep in mind that the bridge is not just a transmission mechanism, it's also a filter.
    This!