Thread: Fiberglass Case

Default Fiberglass Case

Back in November I purchased a used Eastman mandolin. I wasn't much impressed with the standard Eastman case. Kind of a pain in the neck with the magnetic buttons. You'd unzip the thing, undo the magnetic buttons, and then by the time you were undoing the latch, the magnets would reattach themselves....AAAGGHH....So I bought an Eastman fiberglass case. Nice case for the money. Only issue is that the case has no storage...What's up with that? ....Anyway, I've since purchased a NEW WEBER YELLOWSTONE (sorry, I keep posting about it and it's awesome), and the mando came with a nice case. So I'm thinking about selling the Eastman fiberglass case. The only reason I can think of keeping a fiberglass case is for traveling, especially air travel. But I can't imagine that anybody would have a problem taking a mandolin on an airplane. I can understand the necessity of a fiberglass case for banjo or guitar, cause you might have to check your instrument. Also, I've known people whose mandolins have been damaged, even while using one of the more expensive fiberglass cases. So, is there any reason to have a fiberglass case, maybe something that I'm just not thinking of?

Default Re: Fiberglass Case

I like the Back pack carry option the 3 D rings afford, and the dry closure gaskets on the edge.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Do not consider that Eastman fiberglass case as a ready to check in to the baggage claim. Keep it with you at all times. It is not a flight case. It looks cool. It has D rings so you can put it on your back but it is in no way in the same league as a Calton or Pegasus. Don't check it.

Did I mention the Eastman Fiberglass case is not a flight case?

Jamie

PS, I like mine an awful lot. I'll probably even get one for my cheap-o bowl back!
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

You can overcome the storage limites in the Eastman case bay getting a small zippered camera back that attaches to your belt and putting it on the strap for the case.

I second what Jamie says.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

The odds of having to check your Eastman case are small. they can be reduced further by getting a case cover made for it.

However, I don't like to play the odds. I always fly with a Calton. One of the good things about mandolins is that they are mostly the same size. A Calton F case will fit many many mandolins. Not true of guitars, though. There are many different sizes and shapes of "Martin" Dreadnoughts.
    Even from Martin.
    The Acoustic Guitar http://www.acousticguitar.net
    The Swing Geezers http://www.swinggeezers.com