Thread: Looking to start a build

Default Looking to start a build

I would like to build a carved top bouzouki and have been looking into what it involves. The other instrument I was thinking of building was an F5 mandolin. both have carved tops, but there seems to be more available including kits for the f5. I have gone through Graham McDonald's bouzouki book and it looks daunting but doable. I have never built an instrument, but have done some repair work. Would it make sense to try an F5 kit first or just dive into the bouzouki. Are there kits that still require carving the top which I would like to gain experience with.
    Thanks
    Bob Schmidt

Default Re: Looking to start a build

Whatever calls you! I personally just dove in and started learning from scratch, but I can see how it would be nice to get a kit with all the materials you need.
    Eastman MD-305

"Music produces a kind of pleasure which human nature cannot do without." - Confucius

3. The following members say thank you to Nicholas L for this post:

Hi Bob,

I am currently using Graham's mandolin book to build my first carved top A style mandolin. I agonized over the details of carving having never done it before either. I read and reread out of fear I would mess it up.

I ended up buying a few tops in case I messed one up and finally just dove in and went for it. I can tell you I learned so much more from actually doing the carving itself than reading. The top turned out pretty well I think. I used some of Graham's techniques combined with the mandolin construction videos over at Robbie O'Brien's site.

I would say just go for it. If you are worried about messing up the larger more expensive top for the bouzouki maybe start off with some cheaper, lower grade mando tops that you can use in the future.

Good luck,
    Bob

5. The following members say thank you to mcsulla for this post:

Thanks for the encouragement. The cost of the larger top was a concern. Graham's book suggests using tops for a small guitar, but the only thing I have found with the needed thickness was on LMI's site for an archtop guitar and it is quite a bit more then a mandolin. Back and sides even more so. Practice on a mandolin makes sense.

Hi Irishmando, wood for a bouzouki doesn't need to be expensive to sound good and look good. Online suppliers are not the cheapest, especially the ones which let you pick exactly which piece of wood you will get (Bruce Harvie being the exception to this with his specials page).
    Wood doesn't have to be marketed as tonewood to work well. Any dense-ish conifer with reasonably tight grain and well quartersawn will work. Curly maple or mahogany can be found in wide enough pieces and thick enough to resaw, or don't worry about resawing thick stock and just slip-match if you are worried about cost.