Thread: Eastman Mandolin- Go high or low

Default Eastman Mandolin- Go high or low

I'm looking at buying an Eastman oval hole,
    > The 800 series is a lot more $ than the 500 series. Looking at the specs it appears to be just a prettier mando (binding etc). ..... Does the 800 series sound better than the 500?

Buying by phone internet is tough- thanks for your feedback

Default Re: Eastman Mandolin- Go high or low

The answer is... maybe.

I have played a *lot* of Eastmans. Tone-wise, some were good. Some were great. The difference between good tone and great tone didn't have much to do with the model number. Every time I've played a great sounding Eastman, I've bought it. The ones I've owned have been a 504, a 604, a 514, a 614, and 615, and an 815 (not all at once! over time!). So great tone isn't reserved for the higher-trim models. But some of the higher trim models do sound great! So I'd try a 500 series first and see if that meets your needs-- if it does (and you don't need the pretty stuff), you have a heck of a deal.

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

What RichM said, exactly. I have a 504 and a 505, and they (to me) sound better than any higher numbered one I've ever tried. That isn't to say that the lower numbers are better, it's just that if you really cherry-pick, you can find some really amazing 500-series ones.

Blog Entries

We've often had this conversation on the Café and the advice given above is spot on. The pricier models have fanier woods and bindings. You may find in any litter in a shop the best one could be found amongst any of the models. I think they make a pretty good mandolin. I also believe you could call either Steve Perry of Gianna Violins or Dennis with The Mandolin Store and ask for the best sounding 500 model and they would send it to you. I've dealt with both for Eastman mandolins and would recommend them.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

When I bought my 615 mandola, I played three Eastmans: two 615's and an 815. I thought the lower-priced one sounded better. The "800" series one had more binding, gold hardware and more figured maple, and was several hundred dollars more.

Buying decisions don't have to be based purely on sound, and the 815 was a handsome instrument. Still think I made the right choice, though.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

Not that you need any more of the same advice but the best sounding Eastman I ever played was an 814 and the second best was a 505. Like all handmade instruments, some sound better than others and it's not model dependent.
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Like Rob said: "Life is like a box of chocolates"...

I was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago and went to Elderly and played a 505, 515, 615, and a 815. Hands down the 515 shined above the others in tone and volume. Maybe the others hadn't opened up yet or some other small indifference, but it clearly has nothing to do with more binding and gold plated hardware. I ended getting lucky and Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store got a fresh new 615V in that already had a voice, and he assured me it was a good one and he was right. I bought it.
    Dave

New here. I started out years ago playing guitar. Several years ago I started playing fiddle but made the mistake of picking up a mando. I am hooked. I have been looking and playing many different mandos and learning the types. I have some friends in Nashville at Gibson, but can't afford what I want from them. I have said all this to say that last night at a jam I played both an early A2 Gib, and then a guy handed me a new Eastman that he just got from Elderly. I was SHOCKED. The Eastman was actually better. Maybe I don't know enough yet to tell the difference, but liked it so well I bought one today. Echo the thoughts. . . a really nice instrument at a fair price. Maybe a nice new distressed Gibson F5 someday, but for now the Eastman will do.