Thread: Alternative tunings

I'm new to the Cafe and don't know if this has been discussed previously. Can anyone share their experiences with using alternative tunings on the mando? What specific tunings have worked? Fiddles can use them for Old Time Tunes, so I'm sure we can use them as well. Thanks.

Sure I use them often. I keep a mandolin tuned GDGD - like fiddle crosstuning AEAE only a step down to reduce tension on the strings and potential damage to the mandolin.
    I also use ADAE,, or down a step.
    The main reason I do it is to preserve fiddle fingerings. It's great for that, but I confuse myself now and then when I play the same fiddle tunes in GDAE standard mando tuning.

Overall I think it's a beneficial thing to do. People get too locked in on one tuning, like there's only one way to play the instrument right, and they can't wrap their minds around the possibilities of having different open drone strings and different fingerings.
    I play guitar in 4-5 tunings,, fiddle in 3+, banjo in 5, and mandolin in 3 variations on standard. It causes me little trouble and helps me make joyful noises.
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

3. The following members say thank you to JGWoods for this post:

Glad to have found another alternate-tuner! I've been using alternate tunings on guitar for years, and just started my 'banjo adventure' in September... alt tunings on mandolin have been something I've been curious about, but didn't know where to start.
    Ari
    ---
    Tacoma C2C Chief A/E
    Epiphone PR7E/AM
    Rogue A100M

Quote Originally Posted by (SpazMan @ Nov. 12 2007, 07:57)
    Glad to have found another alternate-tuner! I've been using alternate tunings on guitar for years, and just started my 'banjo adventure' in September... alt tunings on mandolin have been something I've been curious about, but didn't know where to start.
    Alt tunings on banjo- you must be playing clawhammer. BG players seem to be pretty rigid, playing only out of G tuning
    gBGBD
    Clawhammerers play lots of tunings. I often use the rather rare gCGCE rather than the more common CC tuning of gCGCD

I wouldn't have taken up cross tuning the mandolin if I didn't play the fiddle. Probably the best simple change to explore will be ADAE for tunes in the key of D.

Be warned that it puts additional stress on the top of the mandolin when you raise the G to A. If I were to keep my mando that way I would put on a light set of G strings- .036 or so rather than the more common .040.
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

Hey JGWoods and Ari, are y'all members of BanjoHangout yet? If not, join up; you'll be glad you did.

Monroe recorded some songs in what he called "crosstuning". He used to keep his Fern cross tuned to play "last days on earth". Also he recorded "get up John" in crosstuning. I have the tuning written down somewhere.
    Does anyone know the tuning that Tim O'Brien used to record "Powow the Indian Boy" with Hot Rize? He explained it to me years ago at Winterhawk, But I forgot. It involved "splitting" the E strings. I think one went up a half step and the other was tuned down. Then he did a string bend at the headstock above the nut on the high string. I'll repost if I can figger it out.

We've had a couple threads about this topic recently, you might give the search box a whirl
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

Default Re: Alternative tunings

And BGDg... on my tenor / mando Dobro
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2823.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	145862, but colored like this Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1691.JPG 
Views:	169 
Size:	410.5 KB 
ID:	145863