Thread: Fullerton Gloucester

Default Fullerton Gloucester

Hi all, I guess I should introduce myself first.

I've been a luthier of guitars and basses for the past 7 years, and I'm a fourth generation one at that. But, this is my first venture into mandolins. I had a Johnson A style several years ago, and sold it soon after, but after moving to a new shop inside a music store where they had an Ibanez F style in stock, my interest once again peaked.

I just received a Fullerton Gloucester as my new instrument, and while I love the tone (much better than the Ibanez, and perfectly suited for what I tend to use it for), I'm not happy at all with the finish. While I love the walnut stain and satin finish, it could've been done much better.

So on to my question, has anyone stripped one of these and refinished in a much better quality? I'm thinking a slightly distressed walnut stain and a satin nitro finish. Any advice or input. I'm all for any input, as like I said this is my first venture into the mando world.

Also, I thought about cutting channels into the stock bridge and installing bone for maybe a little more volume.

Thanks all!

Default Re: Fullerton Gloucester

Greyson wrote:
    "I thought about cutting channels into the stock bridge and installing bone for maybe a little more volume."

Check the below "accessory" URL out for my website. A bone insert, instead of graphite, works well too. I don't know if the Gibson style adjustable bridge saddle has enough "meat" to rout a slot. Not being too rapted in those "poky" little metal adjustment wheels, I'd go for a shim adjusted bridge with a bone insert. Brekke bridges may also have a good alternative.
    http://www.pesavento.biz/Grant_Mando...cessories.html
    Rob Grant
    FarOutNorthQueensland,Oz
    http://www.grantmandolins.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson View Post
    ...While I love the walnut stain and satin finish, it could've been done much better....
    I think the going price for these was $175.00 at the end including freight. I wouldn't expect too much at that price. They were decent instruments and the finish they have probably added to the equation. Jim Broyles was the guy that started it all. I'm sure he'll weigh in.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I like the finish on mine, but if you want to optimize the sound, I suggest:
    Bone nut.
    Cumberland Acoustics ebony bridge. (Mine is a knock off I got really cheap, but I am planning a CA in the near future. Still better than the original.)
    Cast tailpiece. (Mine is an MK chrome one I got cheap, but I really wanted a Hamlett. Still might put one on.)
    GHS Silk and Bronze strings. (Gibson Bill Monroes or D'Addario J-74s work fine too, I just love the S&Bs)
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

First two things that were done included a new bone nut and D'Addario's.

The finish thing is just me blowing smoke, I've got 3 other guitars (not including customers) waiting to be refinished, or in various stages of doing so.

But the three main things I was considering were in this order: New tuners, these seem to slip and I would prefer ebony buttons, a new bridge (of either high quality ebony or modifying this for bone inserts) and a new tailpiece. I was looking at the James and the Allen. Any imput on either?

My tuners have never slipped. I imagine any quality TP would yield satisfactory results. If you want to increase the treble response go for the bone saddle but I think you'll like an ebony bridge just fine.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me