Thread: I have too many mandolins!

Default I have too many mandolins!

Over the past few years I have gotten into building mandolins. Someday I would like to get to the level where I feel I can sell them. I have built two so far from scratch and am trying a batch approach on my next three. Since I am still learning, these instruments will have imperfections and things I’m not happy about construction wise. I am not unhappy with the build because it is a leaning process after all. My problem is what to do with the five mandolins I have sitting around the house? My wife wants me to sell them but they don’t meet my standards of what I am willing to put my name on. Just wondering if any other builders had the same dilemma while starting out.

Default Re: I have too many mandolins!

If they are in playable shape, I know MandolinCafe was accepting either cash or instruments to be given to needy kids who wanted to learn how to play mandolin. While they might not be up to your standards for selling, I'm sure they'd make a wonderful donation.

Here is the link:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/mandolinsforkids/index.html
    Last edited by kgilcreast; Mar-05-2009 at 9:59am. Reason: Adding more information

Blog Entries

lots of people love a bargain especially "these days" (I saw the headline on cnn.com about bargain-hunting being cool again, I thought "welcome to my world", but I digress).

I'd say sell them as "blemished" or "factory seconds" or "still learning" however you want to say that. extract your name from the headstock if it'll make you feel better :-)
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

If you aren't comfortable with selling them, don't. Those instruments are advertisements, for better or worse. They can either help future sales or dog you forever. You never want to have to apologize for your instruments or work. I had the opportunity to sell the first guitar I built to a well known flatpicker, and I was tempted. It is a good sounding and playing instrument and I certainly could have used the money. However, there are several small cosmetic issues and a few things I would have done differently. It is a very good guitar, I rarely play any of my other ones, but it would be a really lousy business card. A lot of folks who know about instruments would potentially see it, and they would probably notice the flaws, and that is unacceptable to me. We've reached an agreement for me to build another as similar sonically as I can, but without (what I consider) the flaws, & if he wants that one, it's sold.

Blog Entries

If they are playable, I second the recommendation of the Cool Mandolin Company's Mandolins for Kids Program. Laura Leder is a member here and this is a good effort she's making to get mandolins in the hands ok kids.

Jamie

Edit: To Joe's point, leave your name off of them.
    Last edited by JEStanek; Mar-05-2009 at 10:11am. Reason: Edit: Joe's point
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

They are definitely playable, but do have some cosmetic issues here and there. Once they are finished I’ll consider donating them. Thanks for the ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mendel View Post
    If you aren't comfortable with selling them, don't. Those instruments are advertisements, for better or worse. They can either help future sales or dog you forever. You never want to have to apologize for your instruments or work. I had the opportunity to sell the first guitar I built to a well known flatpicker, and I was tempted. It is a good sounding and playing instrument and I certainly could have used the money. However, there are several small cosmetic issues and a few things I would have done differently. It is a very good guitar, I rarely play any of my other ones, but it would be a really lousy business card. A lot of folks who know about instruments would potentially see it, and they would probably notice the flaws, and that is unacceptable to me. We've reached an agreement for me to build another as similar sonically as I can, but without (what I consider) the flaws, & if he wants that one, it's sold.
    This post really hit home with me. I would hate to put a mandolin out there that I am unhappy with and have it come back to bite me. I think I'll continue to hone my skills, try to correct what errors......design changes I've made. Thanks for the post.

There is no such thing as too many mandolins.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

There are many programs for kids that would welcome a donation. The one coming to my mind is the "Junior Appalachian Musicians" program in Virginia which promotes music in the public school system, especially among kids who would never have a chance to play.

If I can be of any help with further info, let me know.

(Maybe a good tax write-off, too. Hmm?)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

We all have to learn. Even the most prestigious names on instruments are built by people who at some time built their first mandolins.
    I've done a lot of repair work, and I've taken apart and fixed early instruments made by folks who's instruments today command very high prices. You know what? they are just like everybody elses early mandolins full of imperfections and mistakes.
    It's likely you will never build a mandolin that is as good as you think you are capable of making, and even when you are satisfied with one enough to think it's worth selling, it won't be long before you think it's not so good because you've gotten better.
    In short, you have to learn, and you have to build and make mistakes to learn. Everybody else has to do it too. All instruments have imperfections. Eventually you have to let them go and be "out there" for people to see and play. It's hard to feel ready to do that, so you just have to go ahead and do it! That's what the most highly regarded builders of today did, and those instruments have very high market values now because of the name, and the builder's reputations are not suffering.
    Last edited by sunburst; Mar-05-2009 at 1:39pm. Reason: spelling, grammar, the usual...

Good post, John. I read the OP to be very uncomfortable with the idea of selling them, that's why I posted the way I did. You are right each instrument we build will have improvements from previous ones, and we have to accept that, as do buyers. Looking back on them there will always be things we would do differently or better. I have to be very careful not to nitpick my work apart, but there is a level below which I won't go. We are our own worst critics, but my guitar, while it looks fine from more that a couple of feet away, doesn't pass my "acceptable level" test.
    This is from a guy whose first octave mandolin went to another pretty well known player. And looking back there are a couple of things that I might have done differently, but I have no regrets that it's out in the world. I guess we each have to find where that level of comfort is for us, and balance that with the fact that total perfection unobtainable. That, and if I ever did build the perfect instrument, I would want to keep it.

Im not labelling or branding my efforts till I can reach a level where I believe I could ask money for my Mandolins. I do donate them to worthwhile causes in the meantime. It may be a while before branding is an issue for me tho....

You can put my name on them ... I'm sure they are better than anything I could ever build.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I can relate, I am working on my 4th Stew-Mac kit. Never built one from scratch , Maybe someday . I was only going to build two. I have two girls ,thought they might want them for keepsakes.Never thought about selling one.Now that I'm working on #4 ,I'm like you I need to sell one .I'm sure the one I'm working on probably wont be my last.The three I've built are decent mandolins .I've played some high dollar ones that IMHO weren't as good as my homemade ones.When I finish # 4 I'll try to post some pictures.Andy Nichols

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    you can put my name on them ... I'm sure they are better than anything i could ever build.
    good call!

You are in luck! I am now accepting donations.... for myself.
    and = My Loves

I have pet names for my early ones, mainly "firewood #1-4" that I'm saving for the day my heater crashes. I was able to sell my #5 and the commission itself took my building to new levels (knowing I couldn't hide it in a closet for some cold day). Since then I have been tweaking the basic skills so I am much better now, but can still improve. I agree that your instruments out there are your advertising, while at the same time you need to accept your own imperfections and be comfortable with them in the world. The big push for me to pursue the selling route more seriously was looking at other part-time builders' work and comparing my impression of their work with the price tag and my own skills. Once I felt competitive (tone, fit, finish etc.), I felt much better about having mine out in the open.

My perspective is that if you want to do master grade work you must do master grade work. Master grade work, to me, is doing every step correctly before proceeding to the next step. If something goes less than well, make it right before going to the next process.

As an educational experience one can correct anything in an instrument that is not up to salable standards. Make it right and sell it. That way you don't have anything out there to haunt you and you have stepped up a notch or two in your abilities. Go get 'em!

Great post Michael. If it can be built, it can be corrected if needed. The correcting process is just as important as any other part of the process. If you learn how to fix it while you build it you will have increased your learning opportunities and your build quality will increase substantially. Part of the build process is understanding the "why" as much as the "what". If you really know the why, the what becomes much easier. Just my opinion, but then what do I know? .
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

It could be a great opportunity for some feedback on your work. If it's something you're not gonna care about getting dinged up, you could lend them around to friends who pick. Let some folks play them, maybe take them home. Maybe they could make some recomendations, etc. If you're self conscious about them, don't put your name on them, but I think you'd be missing a great opportunity for feedback from some experienced pickers.

I'm sure when you do put your "master model" out for sale, you're not gonna let just anyone play it...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." -- Albert Einstein

I have several I built from scratch one from a kit, still working on it. My first was built in 1994, I bought a Roger Siminoff book building a bluegrass Mandolin. a old freind encouraged me to build a F5 mandolin, (No Experience) I read that book three times, before I decided to build it.
    All the wood was donated from my freind who lived in the woods up in northeast Maine, I didnt question it he had a mandolin that played very well, I assume he made it, he is now deceased. Like I said he egged me on and I didnt know squat about building instruments. The wood wasnt the best, but at the time I didnt know very much about tone woods, it took me six months to make my first, it looks like heck, doesnt play well but a nother freind comes around who is much more accomplished on playing mandolin, he make that mandolin sound wonderful. He wanted to buy it for a small fee, I said I will think about it, but could never let it go, told him so this past weekend, a keepsake. I got flamed two days ago because it was a ugly mandolin according to this fellow the owner of a mandolin shop in Wickenburg Arizona. I showed it to him in November of last year at the Wickenburg Bluegrass festival.
    He sent out sales notice on the internet about a few mandolins he had on sale, I asked a silly question in return response, said somethings I shouldnt have, he said I remember you from last year, he said your mandolin has a lot to be desired (Not sure if this is the correct way of saying it) in other words it needed a lot of TLC, the cosmetics are not very rewarding, I relied I make them to play not beuaty contest, I guess he didnt like how I said it, just like me, making freinds and influeincing people.
    I guess it is in my will my grand nephew will get it when I kick the bucket, and my Martin Guitar and all my fiddles if he is interested.
    I made several "A" models that resemble old Martin mandolins, the top slopes back past the bridge, I gave one to a kid here aboout ten years ago, I guess he still owns it, I made another for a old picking buddy who played music now and then. I seen him a month ago he now owns a nice Gibson F5 and plays it quite well, his wife said see what you did you rascal you got my husband interested in bluegrass music and now he plays in a band.
    giving away a mandolin might be a boon for someone else down the line, no matter how good it looks or how bad............................................... ..........Dennis in Az
    DENNIS RUSSELL

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote: "...He sent out sales notice on the internet about a few mandolins he had on sale, I asked a silly question in return response, said somethings I shouldnt have,....."

Note to self: Don't send any emails to Dennis!
    Good morning Dennis.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I know a broke graduate student who could give one a good home....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lewis View Post
    My perspective is that if you want to do master grade work you must do master grade work. Master grade work, to me, is doing every step correctly before proceeding to the next step. If something goes less than well, make it right before going to the next process.

As an educational experience one can correct anything in an instrument that is not up to salable standards. Make it right and sell it. That way you don't have anything out there to haunt you and you have stepped up a notch or two in your abilities. Go get 'em!
    I agree with that, wholeheartedly, but would also add that learning how to "do it correctly" sometimes takes a few shots, and you may not notice you did it wrong until much later, when you really can't fix it (without rebuilding, which may or may not be worth it sometimes). So you have a mandolin with a flaw or two, it is human. But you've also learned the lesson for next time, so now you know how to do it "correctly". That must be why this is so addictive!

I think a person needs a few under their belt to get a feel for how to make one right--unless they are under the tutelage of one who's already made those mistakes and can steer them in the proper direction. After a while it becomes tweaking, not fixing, and the margin of error shrinks down considerably. I am stubbornly independent and have insisted on learning things the hard way, on my own. But I've always backed my own pursuits with research and discussion with others about how to make these things better.

I am currently re-building my personal mando, and after opening it up, I see a lot of small things that I do better now (and have fixed), but at the time considered good quality at the time I put it together. For instance, the graduations on it were awesome (nice smooth change in thickness from the center to the recurve), but generally too thick. My experience has enlightened me since then, and I can say that while I did build it "correctly" initially (it is just how I intended to build it), at this point I am making it "better". So yes, I think folks should strive to build master-grade instruments, but I also think they will need some experience before they know HOW to build master-grade... That's been my experience at least...