Thread: Gillian Welch's best album, real cheap, Monday only

Blog Entries

Default Gillian Welch's best album, real cheap, Monday only

apparently there's a one day sale at Amazon MP3...

http://www.amazon.com/Revival/dp/B00...ref=dm_ap_alb1

$1.99 for the entire album. if you havent heard it, it just might change your musical life (it did mine)
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

Default Re: Gillian Welch's best album, real cheap, Monday only

Damn, good deal, if only I hadn't bought it 8 years ago. She's a great one for sure.

Thanks - best $2 I've spent in quite a while.

I got it just now - Wednesday - it's still going....

Blog Entries

<MP3 site URL deleted by Moderator. According to its own legal disclaimer on the site, they cannot guarantee the legality of their product, therefore we won't be allowing the sharing of this site on the Cafe Discussion Board.>
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Feb-19-2009 at 7:36am. Reason: questionable copyright concerns

Finally, someone in the music industry stops complaining about the marketplace, and prices 'albums' where they will sell. With almost zero distribution cost on line, there is no good reason why most albums should be priced at, $8-10 -- and that has driven consumers to illegal downloading. No one illegally xeroxes or scans and prints books, because they are priced at a point where it's not worth it. And music can be priced at that same point, where it's not worth the trouble of stealing.

Not to mention that the old plan has almost killed legit 'album' sales since people buy vastly more 'singles'. If the album costs 2-3X the cost of one song, a lot of people will buy the album instead of a single song, and be exposed to more of an artist's work. And it encourages artists to create a decent body of work rather than shoot for the hit single.

HERE is another good example. "The 99 Most Essential Beethoven Masterpieces", for $8. Whatever its merits, they got the price right, and it's selling.

I'd be amazed if AKUS didn't make more money at this price point, than they would have selling many fewer songs at a higher price.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by gregjones View Post
    Still working in the wee hours of Thursday.

Thanks for the info.

Try <URL deleted by Moderator> Dawg stuff for two or three bucks an album. Doc Watson and John Hartford for less than $2--Morning Bugle is less than $1.50.
    Careful with that one. The original post in this thread was about Amazon selling cheap MP3 albums, and those are of course perfectly legal downloads priced low for promotion purpose. This is very different from sites like mp3va.com or allofmp3.com, which are based in Russia/Belarus and are of (at least) highly questionable legality for downloaders from other countries.

Martin
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Feb-19-2009 at 7:40am. Reason: Reason: questionable copyright concerns repeated in quote.

Still working on Thursday morning a little after 6 AM. I'm excited...as a newbie, this is my first mandolin album. Loading to my ipod as we speak.

>>Careful with that one. The original post in this thread was about Amazon selling cheap MP3 albums, and those are of course perfectly legal downloads priced low for promotion purpose. This is very different from sites like <URL deleted by Moderator> or <URL deleted by Moderator> , which are based in Russia/Belarus and are of (at least) highly questionable legality for downloaders from other countries.<<

Yes, and also beware of your credit card with places like allofmp3.com

Several years ago, I purchased some mp3s from them, and about 3-4 months later, I got a call from my credit card company stating that at an online music company had been hacked, credit cards were compromised, and they were issuing me a new card.
    Last edited by Ted Eschliman; Feb-19-2009 at 7:39am. Reason: Reason: questionable copyright concerns
    Sheryl --- Me

Blog Entries

I'm downloading the Welch disc now at about 7:45 AM so it's sill working. BTW:
    how did you find out this was available at this amazing price???
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BJones View Post
    Still working on Thursday morning a little after 6 AM. I'm excited...as a newbie, this is my first mandolin album. Loading to my ipod as we speak.
    sorry if I misled anyone...this really isnt a mandolin album, more of a 2 voices and 2 guitars kinda thing, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. sorry I didnt make that clear. that said, I've heard people say that David Rawlings plays guitar much like a mandolin (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=48323), so I think there could be a lot to learn from his approach. Gillian is a huge influence in modern folk, so if you're into that, you definitely should give a listen.

oh and I heard about this sale b/c I'm a "fan" on facebook, and they sent a notice through that.

and finally, my apologies to the moderators for stirring up a bit of trouble for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wiegers View Post
    sorry if I misled anyone....
    It's all good. For two bucks, it's a nice add to the iPod in any case. But I would like to find some good instrumental mandolin albums/songs to pursue.

Bill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BJones View Post
    It's all good. For two bucks, it's a nice add to the iPod in any case. But I would like to find some good instrumental mandolin albums/songs to pursue.

Bill
    cool. there's a lot of possibilities, but if you're looking for something more modern/progressive check out Thile and Marshall's "Into The Cauldron"...hmm...time to spin that one up for the work day...

Man, I cannot stop listening to "Annabelle." How beautiful. Are her other albums like this one? Any recommendations in this vein?

Blog Entries

A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Everybody capo!

I liked all the GW recordings except Soul Journey, which I didn't care for on first listening. I bought it when it came out but subsequently sold it. However after Thile did "Wayside" (and after getting more into Greg Leisz) I had to buy it again, used, of course. I may have even bought my original copy.

ManlyMandolinist,

I highly recommend "Time (the Revelator)." In my opinion it's their best album to date. But they're all good.

Looks like the deal is still available, but only to Americans. No MP3 sales outside the US. Grrrr.
    Dan P,
    Victoria, BC

Yep, called my wife to download it yesterday as soon as I saw the post (she has all the Amazon account details)...thanks for the heads-up...phenomenal stuff!!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Lance K. View Post
    ManlyMandolinist,

I highly recommend "Time (the Revelator)." In my opinion it's their best album to date. But they're all good.
    It's not their best album, it's the best album. If you're into that style, which I am. Time the Revelator changed my life.

I have all of Welch's records except Revival. I've always meant to get it, so thanks for the heads up. She is a brilliant artist that makes the simplest things sound amazingly complex, which is very hard to do. Her voice is outstanding as well. She and Rawlings make a great musical combination. Definitely some of the best music being made right now comes from those two.

Quote Originally Posted by ManlyMandolinist View Post
    Man, I cannot stop listening to "Annabelle." How beautiful. Are her other albums like this one? Any recommendations in this vein?
    I suspect you'll love "Hell Among the Yearlings" (her/their 2nd album, with a similar feel to "Revival") and likely "Time: The Revelator" (my favorite)...I don't care for "Soul Journey" so much.

It's been awhile, I hope she puts out a new one soon.

I believe "Soul Journey" is underrated. People discard it too fast. Sure, it's a small departure from the other albums in regard to the sound etc., but when you give it a chance it grows on you. I was a bit sceptical at first too, but now I fully enjoy it. It contains some real gems!
    Last edited by Oggy; Feb-24-2009 at 3:17am.

Blog Entries

I agree..."Soul Journey" is a close 2nd of my favorite album of hers, right after Revival. I'm dying for a new album or at least a tiny tour here in TN or something!