Thread: New Collings Video

Default New Collings Video

As a long-time Collings fellow who greatly appreciates his MT2O on a daily basis, I found the new Collings video posted on the Cafe a wonderful testament to the passion and care that goes into Bill's instruments.

I don't know him, but sense from this little film (and the other one about his guitar building) that he has created quite a wonderful place down there in Texas. Great work environment, great jobs for American craftsmen, and a wonderful vision and passion for the wood.

For those of us who own a Collings mando, and those who might be thinking of getting one someday, this is a "must watch."

Thanks, Bill. And thanks to your fantastic team of luthiers for keeping alive your vision.

Default Re: New Collings Video

I kind of thought some of my fellow Collings owners might have watched it?

watched it a few times, its a well made video.

i love my MT. its the base model with top binding. it is the mandolin by which all others are judged!

i've been around a good hand full of Collings in my journey to find "my mandolin". i love the englemann top combined with the maple in this Collings-its very dry, light feeling in weight, and very resonant. can sound sweet or loud and punchy.
    the surgical precision of the build of a Collings is exceptional.

d

I watched it several times and enjoyed it, and passed it on to others. I'm trying to pipe down a little with my Collings-praise though since I've probably already posted too much about my recent MT acquisition.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
    i love my MT. its the base model with top binding. it is the mandolin by which all others are judged! i've been around a good hand full of Collings in my journey to find "my mandolin". i love the englemann top combined with the maple in this Collings-its very dry, light feeling in weight, and very resonant. can sound sweet or loud and punchy. the surgical precision of the build of a Collings is exceptional.
    Daryl articulates much of what drew me to a Collings MT here. Up until I bought mine, I was an avowed oval hole guy, coming from an acoustic guitar background but not bluegrass. I purchased mine used with the idea of giving it a prolonged trial, half of me expecting not to like it or keep it. But it stayed. And back when I foolishly subscribed to a one A5 only policy, it fended off competition from a Rigel and a Coombe. Only the arrival of the Pava forced me to make a change, but I changed the policy rather than the instrument and kept both. Obviously by my signature, they have since added more friends in the stable.

What I love most about the Collings is the neck. The modified v-profile fits my hand really well, and I feel like I note it more cleanly than the others, even (and perhaps especially) when I'm reaching out to the 7th fret with my pinkie from the first position. Next, I admire what Daryl calls the surgical precision of the build. For instance, when a pair of unison strings becomes attuned the whole instrument seems to affirm it. Finally, the light body and satin finish create a spartan feel in which every element is committed to producing tone.

The Collings MT is a professional grade instrument and the first one that did not limit my playing in any way. It made me reconsider my opinion about f-holes and has become the measuring stick against which other A5's are measured. To paraphrase fatt-dad, I paid my tuition, and I got my education.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Hi JD...
    Have watched it twice and enjoyed every minute of it. Had the same feeling when you could watch the hour-long special that Michigan Public Broadcasting created about Elderly Instruments. It's nice to have that sense of reaffirmation on a choice I have made over and over. I love dealing with Elderly. I have developed the same respect for Collings and their instruments - of which I now own two.

(By the way, I expect them - the Collings - to keep me well occupied as the next round of snow hits our state tonight and runs through Tuesday!)

Anybody want a box of snow? I'll happily ship some their way.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post

What I love most about the Collings is the neck. The modified v-profile fits my hand really well, and I feel like I note it more cleanly than the others, even (and perhaps especially) when I'm reaching out to the 7th fret with my pinkie from the first position. Next, I admire what Daryl calls the surgical precision of the build. For instance, when a pair of unison strings becomes attuned the whole instrument seems to affirm it. Finally, the light body and satin finish create a spartan feel in which every element is committed to producing tone.
    I agree. The neck feels great in the hand. When I switch to either of my vintage Gibsons (a '17 A and a '41 A1) the necks feel like baseball bats. I love their sound, but find I can't play them during a session with either of the Collings. Well, I can, but it takes some readjustment, whereas I can go from the MT to the MF without a thought. It's making me think of swapping one or another out for an MT-O...
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

Although I know us Collings fans could go on about our appreciation of our instruments, what truly struck me about the film was the environment of excellence that Bill has created in that shop. I suspect that any one of the luthiers there could easily step out and start building their own. However, the sense of collective spirit that clearly pulses through the team of mando makers is inspiring.

I just commissioned a build for an f-hole A-5 from a wonderful independent luthier. But I'll never part with my Collings. Beyond its feel and tone and beauty, it has the wonderful karma of Bill's joint in every silky grain of wood!

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdmeyers77 View Post
    I suspect that any one of the luthiers there could easily step out and start building their own.
    Stefan Passernig and Pava Knezevic agree.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by jdmeyers77 View Post
    Although I know us Collings fans could go on about our appreciation of our instruments, what truly struck me about the film was the environment of excellence that Bill has created in that shop. I suspect that any one of the luthiers there could easily step out and start building their own. However, the sense of collective spirit that clearly pulses through the team of mando makers is inspiring.

I just commissioned a build for an f-hole A-5 from a wonderful independent luthier. But I'll never part with my Collings. Beyond its feel and tone and beauty, it has the wonderful karma of Bill's joint in every silky grain of wood!
    Part of the Collings vibe there is an Austin thing. The people there like stuff from there and are very proud of the local culture they've created. It's a cool place and I always enjoy visiting. A way different vibe than DFW.