Thread: F Style Oval Hole Mandos.

Default F Style Oval Hole Mandos.

Cafe Folks,

Let me start by saying I tried a search on this. I have an A style oval hole mado that I really enjoy (Eastman MD504) and several F styles with F holes. I am considering an F style oval hole to add to the brood.

I have done some reading about older Gibsons, and, if not mistaken, the F4 was constructed in this manner. I like the tone from my 504, but admit to a little scroll envy. I am also looking for a nice way to strap her up.

So, how about some feedback on how an F style oval hole mando would fit into my collection of mandos and guitars. I would not be using this to play out with, just more for noodling at home and personal enjoyment.
    Jim D

Default Re: F Style Oval Hole Mandos.

There's a few F4 styles in the Classifieds in various price ranges - at least 1 Eastman 814.

I forgot to say NFI - at least for the Eastman 814.....

Tonally, there's not much difference between F-style and A-style body shapes, but there is a significant difference between F-hole and oval-hole soundhole shapes.

An F-body oval-hole, like an old Gibson F-2 or F-4 or the new Eastman 514/614/814/914 series, is nice to look at, but probably won't give you a fundamentally different sound from your 504 -- other than the variation that is inherent in different instruments of different quality levels.

As you say, it's basically "scroll envy." But if you find one you like, go for it!
    EdSherry

Blog Entries

If you like the Eastman neck and sound get a used Eastman 514 (F2 styling of binding) or the 614 or 814 (more F4ish). Used these should run you $400-$1000. If you want to spend bigger money and want something that looks most like an F4 I would seriously consider Gail Hester or Hans Brentrup or just buy a F4 in good shape. Nothing but an F4 will sound quite like an F4.... I would add a virzi too just for fun.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I played a nice Eastman 614 in a store while traveling, and it's been beckoning every since. Now all I need is some money.

A friend who is a member of the Providence Mandolin Orchestra has a Loar era F-4 with a Virzi that is totally mesmerizing. What a great looking and sounding instrument. I would agree that tonally there's not much (no) difference between an A style and F style with oval holes but if you had one built for you, consider a Virzi as Jamie says. They add a subtle but interesting tonal color that is more than the difference between A and F styles.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Duff H-5 mandola w/ Virzi