Thread: Tope and Capek mandolins

Default Tope and Capek mandolins

I must have been under a rock but have just recently heard these two names come up. Who owns/plays/played either or both of these instrument? How do they compare in tone and workmanship with other medium priced mandolins? I don't see much comment other than quick mentions in the archives.

Default Re: Tope and Capek mandolins

http://youtu.be/LV7VYXB9Eps

Monika is playing here a Capec "Professional"

Gary Tope is a close friend of mine. His workmanship is as good as it gets. If you'll PM me with your contact info, I'll give it to him. I believe he has a couple of finished mandolins for sale at this time. I think Elderly has one also. Gary was a featured builder in Mandolin Magazine a couple years ago. He recently took his web site down.

I've played one example of each, very briefly, and a very small example at that. Two different animals. The Tope was something you'd expect to hear on a high quality, good ol bluegrass album. But it had a beefy neck. The Capek was a more modern sound, something along the lines of a refined Breedlove and while I don't remember what its neck width was, I just remember my hand glided along that neck with ease. Both were first class in all respects though and if these are your choices, your in for a difficult decision for sure. Good luck.
    Gunga......Gunga.....Gu-Lunga