Thread: Bowlback ID help

Default Bowlback ID help

I've been contemplating a foray into the bowlback world. Can anyone identify the maker and the approximate age of this instrument?

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bowlback fb.GIF 
Views:	218 
Size:	145.6 KB 
ID:	39366  

Default Re: Bowlback ID help

Not really. The photos crop out or do not show the areas that would help most; peghead, label (if any) and tailpiece, though there's enough tailpiece showing to make a reasonable guess that it's US-made. Given that the great mando-boom was over in the teens, I'd say early 20th century.

If you choose to go with this instrument, be sure that the neck joint hasn't warped, and string it with extra-light strings. Look out for top sag as well.

Thanks Bob. I got the owner to send me photos of the front and back of the headstock. Nothing there to help identify it except for the shape of the headstock itself. There is no label inside the bowl.

Bob

Name:	img003.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	39415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img004.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	39416  

No inspiration there for me, but perhaps one of the local experts on US bowls will chime in.

I'd caution against spending too much on an old American bowlback, unless it could be attributed to one of the major makers, like Vega, Lyon & Healy, Martin of course, or the like. I like the wood in the bowl, though - I've always been a fool for fancy maple in a mandolin.

I have a non–trivially similar bowlback that I've been wondering a bit about lately. It's in a sorry state of disrepair. The only thing I know about it is that my parents gave it to my aunt who lived in Hawaii, and it came back all warped and cracked and rusted. It tunes up all right, but the top is caving in so I leave the strings loose.

It has the same alternating binding as KanMando's, though most of it has fallen off. No label inside the bowl, no markings on the headstock, nearly identical butterfly/moth under the oval hole. Some pictures attached.

Name:	P1040539.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	39426   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040540.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	39427   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040541.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	39428  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040542.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	39429   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040545.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	39430   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040546.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	39431  

—kjell

Kjell's has a different headstock and pickguard shape. I believe that these butterfly inlays are stock inlays that companies bought from a wholesaler. They show up universally in American as well as European instruments.

Kanmando's mandolin: the headstock does resemble some Washburns but I see nothing similar in the ornamentation to most labelled Washburns.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I have a marked Washburn mandola with the same alternating maple and rosewood staves; however, it has herringbone rather than alternating black and white binding, the pickguard is plain, the abalone soundhole rosette is a much different pattern, and the headstock is flat on top. Also, the tuners and tailpiece differ substantially from the OP's instrument. More differences than similarities, it seems, though the alternating light and dark ribs are very distinctive.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM