Thread: Best clip on mic?

Blog Entries

Default Best clip on mic?

I am toying with the idea of using a clip on mic on my mandolin. The Baggs Radius PU I've been using is turning out to produce a fair amount of noise that I can't seem to get rid of regardless of how I tweak the sound with my Baggs Para DI.

My inclination to go to a clip on mic is based on a desire to maintain mobility while playing and have the cleanest, most acoustic sounding results I can get.

What clip on mics do you have experience with and recommend? Are there any that can be run through my Para DI as opposed to having to pay for another power supply? I was interested in the K&K Silver Bullet Solo but it sounds like it isn't compatible with my Para DI.

Thanks!
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Default Re: Best clip on mic?

I use a Microvox violin mic with a longer clamp thread to suit the depth of the mandolin. The mic sits nicely over the F-hole using this arrangement. This mic needs a PSU with the right violtage. I use a Microvox one clipped to my belt. The usual 48V phantom supply from mixers and amps must be turned off as the voltage is to high and will fry the mic. Sound quality has been very good

Registered User steve V. johnson's Avatar

There have been some discussions here that included the AudioTechnica 35 and 350 models. If you do a search of the forums there should be some pretty detailed posts made just recently. I think some of the folks are pretty happy with these.

I think that it's also been said that the -best- clip-on mics are made by DPA and are in use by some fine players.

www.dpamicrophones.com

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    http://cdbaby.com/Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers1
    There Was A Time
    http://cdbaby.com/Lopers2

I've heard the Jaybirds using DPA's and they sounded good. They are fairly expensive though.

Problem with Para DI and condenser clip on mics is, its made for self powered / passive pickups like Piezos,
    and so only the input signal from a 2 conductor ,TR 1/4" plug is anticipated .

so you need to power the capacitor in a condenser mic sort, some other way
    with a Battery power-supply made for that Mic, most likely.
    Last edited by mandroid; Feb-04-2009 at 6:51pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Douglas

I saw Chris Thiele (Punch Bros) in concert and spoke to his sound guy afterwards. He uses a clip on mic and its a Audio Technica 35, mentioned in a previous reply. Sounded excellent, and apparently it's what he's been using for awhile. Of course, he had a great sound system to go with it and an engineer tweaking the board so that never hurts. I'm actually going to buy one or the 350 which is its replacement. The 35 is no longer made so I may have no choice. Sweetwater has them (sweetwater.com) as do many similar online stores. Hope this helps.

Right down below this thread a bit is one in which there are some references to the AT clip-on
    condensor mics.

Here, just in case y'all hadn't done the search yet.

One of the big tricks to using a clip-on condensor mic is finding where to
    clip it. Some have used pick guards (aka finger rests) for the clip, others
    have clipped onto a Tone-Gard or the edge of an f-hole.

As mentioned, condensor mics need power. Some get their power from
    batteries (called electret condensors) and others need "phantom power"
    which comes back up the mic cable from a preamp or a mixing console.

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    There Was A Time

Blog Entries

One of the things that's cool about my Baggs Para DI is that it has Phantom power. If I can hook a mic with a 1/4 inch jack into that, it could be really sweet- assuming that the mic can live with 48V phantom power.

This is really helpful info from everyone. Thanks. Anyone who has other thoughts, feel free to jump in.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

Does it have phantom or does it power itself via phantom from the board. Mine is a few years old is of the latter type.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    Does it have phantom or does it power itself via phantom from the board. Mine is a few years old is of the latter type.
    Good question. Now I'm not sure which- but you may very well be right. What I don't know about electronics is a lot.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------

as far as basic knowlege ,
    Our friends have some information : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone

And ... all else fails read the owner's manual ...

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products...s_paradi.shtml

Quickly reading off features and specifications:

Input impedance 10 mega ohms IE quite high , Their Radius & piezo compatible.
    un-balanced type input.

there is a TRS input jack but it uses that 3rd contact to turn itself on and off
    whether or not you plug your cord into it , to save on draining the 9v battery
    which it will run from , when no phantom power is available.

The preamp runs itself off Phantom Power, but it does not provide power to the input.

so you may be better off running your clip on microphone thru another microphone preamp instead.
    Last edited by mandroid; Feb-04-2009 at 10:48pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

The manual! I bought mine 10 years ago, thought there might have been some changes over the years. Actually, you can adjust the gain on them now from the outside. On my steampowered model I had to take the bottom off to set the gain.

Barb. I had an old Fishman bass pickup with two stick on transducers and for something to try used some putty and stuck them on the mandolin right behind the bridge. No preamp, went right into a trace elliot and it was the best thing i have heard yet. Very clean and acoustic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Barb. I had an old Fishman bass pickup with two stick on transducers and for something to try used some putty and stuck them on the mandolin right behind the bridge. No preamp, went right into a trace elliot and it was the best thing i have heard yet. Very clean and acoustic
    Well, that's the thing. I've been using a stick on Radius PU and am not thrilled with the sound. It sounds just OK but not as nice as my mandolin actually is. Through a good mic, it's wonderful. My logic is that a clip on might be a "best of both worlds" solution.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------

I would be very interested in how the clip on works, maybe you would post a follow up. Are you playing into the PA or an amp? My problem is in one of the bands i need to use and amp and i am afraid a mic standing in front of an amp, even one designed for acoustic sound will feed back easily. I agree nothing beets a mic for sound quality. Let us know how it works. Thanks pops

Hey Barb,

"I've been using a stick on Radius PU and am not thrilled with the sound. It sounds just OK but not as nice as my mandolin actually is..."

I take it that you've already tried the Radius in different places on the mandolin?

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    There Was A Time

"I've been using a stick on Radius PU and am not thrilled with the sound. It sounds just OK but not as nice as my mandolin actually is..."
    For me, that's just a given but I found that a good compromise for me is the AKG C411 stick-on condenser. I've also used an AT Pro 7A that they probably don't make anymore. These work well too, but nothing is as good as a real good mic in a real good room.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I would be very interested in how the clip on works, maybe you would post a follow up. Are you playing into the PA or an amp? My problem is in one of the bands i need to use and amp and i am afraid a mic standing in front of an amp, even one designed for acoustic sound will feed back easily. I agree nothing beets a mic for sound quality. Let us know how it works. Thanks pops
    Sure, I'll be happy to let you all know what I end up with. I almost always play into a PA.

Quote Originally Posted by sliabhstv View Post
    Hey Barb,
    I take it that you've already tried the Radius in different places on the mandolin?
    Yup. But I have been moving it around on the treble side near the bridge. I wonder if I might help things by moving it to the other side??? I'm getting a lot of amplified pick noise that I didn't used to get playing into a mic.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Barb Friedland View Post
    Sure, I'll be happy to let you all know what I end up with. I almost always play into a PA.

Yup. But I have been moving it around on the treble side near the bridge. I wonder if I might help things by moving it to the other side??? I'm getting a lot of amplified pick noise that I didn't used to get playing into a mic.
    I think you would like the sound better on the bass side, would be warmer and maybe less noisy. Kind like having an online lab test going. pops

Try moving away from the bridge , too.

though contact transducers hear a lot of what they are attached to.. the soundboard, & bridge.
    so the pick noise is bound to be part of it .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

When I have a new player and instrument come into the studio I have them play and I move
    around the instrument a lot to hear it, get to know it. Sometimes the tone coming from different parts of the top is different, sometimes it's all the same.

Maybe it would help if someone played the instrument and someone else moved the pickup from time to time. Someone else could play and you could listen, or vice versa, or you could record
    the output and see where the pickup works best.

Intuitively, I'd expect that somewhere behind the bridge and just a bit off-center toward the
    bass side might do well. It's either intuition or a flat-out guess... :-P

Also, for me, I'd be doing a lot of experiments before spending $$ on a new rig and ... then ...
    going thru a whole nother round of experiments... :-)

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    There Was A Time

Blog Entries

I'd be doing a lot of experiments before spending $$ on a new rig and ... then ...going thru a whole nother round of experiments... :-)
    Very wisely offered. I'll do some PU placement tests and record as I go. If I can't arrive at reasonably good sound then I'll go back to the drawing board.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------

Best wishes on the Moving Pickup tests!

I hope you find a great sound that makes you jump and shout. Or... just say "Aaahhhhh...."

stv
    steve V. johnson

Culchies
    The Lopers
    Ghosts Like Me
    There Was A Time

Blog Entries

Best wishes on the Moving Pickup tests!
    I hope you find a great sound that makes you jump and shout. Or... just say "Aaahhhhh...."stv
    I'll settle for smug satisfaction!
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------