Thread: Fender Small Heavy Guitar Pick,anybody?

Default Fender Small Heavy Guitar Pick,anybody?

Anybody use these?

Default Re: Fender Small Heavy Guitar Pick,anybody?

I have a few in the pick box, and frequently use them. Definite cintenders.

What do you mean by small? Standard 351 shape, or something smaller, like a jazz pick?
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

Those are more pointed , tear drop shaped, but darn hard to hold onto,

try sharpening the point on something bigger like common 351's with some fingernail files .

you can always hold it closer to the point.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

[QUOTE=mandroid;626223]Those are more pointed , tear drop shaped, but darn hard to hold onto,
    /QUOTE]

This is the problem I am having with it. I like the tone it projects on my MF5 but it is hard to handle. According MM in her Complete Mandolin Method it is recomened as a best.

it's Best for Her, ... she has smaller hands , most likely , so that size works for her hands
    ... and it is her book .

I have some little jazz picks , just too small to play for long (dunlop lexan stubbys and fender too)

there were long double ended picks that classical mandolin players favored early in the last century.

file a sharp point on something you can hold onto ,
    maybe find one of the little ones for a pattern ,
    and file a sharp point to match, on a thick guitar pick , if faking it is not your style.

my picks get oily from my hand's skin, and slippery, so I wash them both with soap and water.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

You don't mean those small oval picks with sharp points, do you? The ones that are always sitting in the drawers at music shops next to the guitar picks, because no one ever buys them? I vaguely recall those ... back in the long ago days 40 years ago when I was just starting out. Nobody knew anything about mandolins, and that's what those were sold as, and I didn't know any better. But using them, well, I just couldn't find anything to hold onto.

Nowadays, I use Dunlop, the heavier the better - and I do mean 1.5mm - 2mm - and I would probably be open to using any brand that came that thick. Even 1mm Fender extra heavy picks are a little flimsy for me, but will do. I like the firmness. I feel like it gives me a good instantaneous response. There was a time I was using - geez, I forget, but they were a bit bigger and had an eagle on them like the Harley logo, and the texture was a little rough so they never slipped. Well, I guess they slipped a little, because they're all gone now ... ... I had a pick once that had a dent on each side for my fingertips, that was nice. Hadco, maybe? The business end was about a medium to heavy, though.

I think the important thing is being able to hold onto the pick, and the old style mandolin picks were much too small for that. I would suggest filing down the business end to a point if that's what you like. I never did understand the Grisman picks - I like the triangular shape, but the rounded corners don't work for me. They remind me of what one of my picks looks like after I've used it a lot.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!