Thread: Montelone style for cheap

Default Montelone style for cheap

Who makes montelone style mandolins for under 5k?

Default Re: Montelone style for cheap

Luke, follow this link to one of gary's mandolins.
    http://www.carmelmusic.com/stocklist...cust_GA_FB.jpg

Thanks skip. 5k would be a big stretch. that is the max i am able to spend. this is closer to 6k and i just can't afford it. that is beautiful though.

I'd be more concerned about tone and general quality than I would about style.

Touche

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I'd be more concerned about tone and general quality than I would about style.
    All in one package is nice too!!! If you can find it. That Gary Vessel mandolin at Carmel is a beauty, you can tell he looked closely at some real Monteleones. I wonder how it plays & sounds?

Blog Entries

If you can find one used, A Kentucky Dawg should be had for under $5k, well under. To be honest, I always thought the Weber Gallatin, I believe now discontinued, looked Monteleone-ish. Open scroll and a non scrolly headstock. These should be sub $2k used.

Frets.com article on the KM Dawg

Weber Page on the Gallatin model.
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I really want the old kentucky dawg. but only 48 were made and i don't know where to find them. any suggestions? the sumi ones just went up to 7200

They have one at elderly! i might get it. do they sound good. i have never played one.

Oops i missed the "no longer available part. darn. that stinks... they always get you. where can i get one? do they sound good?

Dexter decided to take it after one chop, it sounds very fine. As for price, there's an obvious downturn in EVERY market at the moment so respectable offers will be considered. The mando is still mine and Dexter will take his cut too but with all that said I'd rather it to be used by someone. Comes with an Ameritage case as well.

I could foster it for you until you find an owner! if that is the case take your time

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Luke,
    A bit of advice. Don't buy ANY mandolin you haven't played. Part 2: Buy a mandolin you have played and it grabs you by the short hairs. You know what I mean. Doesn't matter what brand it is, what style, buy it.
    I recently heard a recording of a Heiden A that did that to me. Listen here:
    Greg Boyd's page
    Bill

I know what you mean. I played an old wave A5 at gruhn. I thought about getting it. I played it for hours

The Vessel at Carmel is really good, I had the chance to test drive it and was impressed. Lots o volume and sweet highs. Luke I'm thinking you should PM testor... I'm sure a you'd get a trial period.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

WOW !!! - I was well aware that Gary was a great maker,but i didn't know he made "Monteleone" style instruments as well as the 'standard' F-5 models.That look seriously delicious,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

That Vessel is scrumptous, but I wish that the "shark inlays" were not on the finger board. It distracts from the elegance of the design for me. But I suppose I could get used to it!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I had the pleasure of having the original,#82, in my possession for awhile. Mine is a very faithful copy of that one. Luke,if it was in my possession now I'd shoot it off to you for a trial run. Since it is at Carmel Music it must go through them. No big deal though, he does allow for a short test period I think. Ken, as for the shark fins, this was inspired by the one John had at LoarFest two years ago. If anyone played that mando they'd understand why there was such an inspiration to build something in that vein. That mandolin was simply stunning in every respect. I made another standard F model along side of the Monte model. It is now owned by my cousin. I used the same cedar for both of the tops. The one my cousin owns has really blossomed into a very fine sounding mandolin. Great color to the sound, loud too but a lot of quality. Off of the bench the Monte was a little brighter sounding and louder. I haven't played the Monte for awhile but a good friend of mine did recently and said it is doing great. I think a very nice side by side compared difference between the two models, and that was the reason I did two with the same top woods. I'd love to see it get a new home, Carmel is nice but I'd love to know it is getting used and broken in.
    Gary

Quite a stunning piece there, Gary, really very nice. And I do remember the Monte that you're referring to; it was quite the bomb, if I recall rightly. But there was a slew of great mandos that weekend, almost too many (if that's possible). BTW, nice article on you from the paper; nice to get a bit of the right kind of attention. Congrats.
    Zeke Griffin
    Mandolooney at large
    Purveyor of old motorcycles, mandolins and sailboats