Thread: Yet another "Pick" thread!

Default Yet another "Pick" thread!

I have more picks than I have teeth. More to the point, I have more different makes of picks than teeth, toes, fingers and eyes combined.

I bought expensive picks and I have bought cheap picks. I have ordered a slew of Claytone Tri picks and spent too much time sanding and shaping to get the right feel.

Last week, I ordered some strings from Ted over at JazzMando. Along with the strings, Ted tossed in a pick. I didn't think much about it as I have about 10 of those flimsy plastic picks that JustStrings sends with string orders. I tossed the gel looking pick that Ted sent in with the rest of them.

The day before yesterday, I was reaching into the pick box and pulled out the Jazzmando pick. On the other side, it actually said who made it and gave some other info about it (D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.55mm). I figured, what the heck and I started to work on Bach's Prelude for Suite I for Cello and arranged for Mandolin (thanks to Debora Chen).

Twenty minutes later I noticed that the D'Andrea pick felt better than any pick I had previously used or otherwise sanded on. I just ordered several more. Thanks, Ted.

...Bob

Default Re: Yet another "Pick" thread!

Same experience here. I noticed a pleasing darkening of the tone too. What a great pick, and the logo on it is beyond coolness! They're also cheap enough to pass out to your mando picker friends.
    Steve

"They're approaching. That's very forward of them."

I was using the "Dawg" picks that came with my oval hole mando and liked them. Then, like you I got one of the JazzMando picks when I ordered the JM strings... Really like the combination of the JM strings and picks on the oval hole mando...

Thanks Ted!

I use my Red Bear pick maintenance kit to sand bevels onto the D'Andrea Pro Plecs and they're wonderful. I still use my Red Bear as my main pick, but I have D'Andreas as the backup and use them for certain situations.
    2020 Custom Weber Yellowstone F-20-F octave mandolin
    2019 Weber Yellowstone F-17 mandola
    2019 Custom Weber Diamondback F14-F
    2018 Custom Weber Yellowstone F14-0
    2016 Weber Octar

www.webermandolins.com/mandolin-artists/michael-eck