Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a beginners Mandolin

Default Looking to buy a beginners Mandolin

Hi everybody, I am new to the group. I have been very interested in learning to play the Mandolin for some time now. Can somebody please give me some recommendations on an relatively inexpensive entry level mandolin? I saw this one on musicians friend and was wondering if this would be a good place to start?

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ack?sku=517578

thanks for the help

Default Re: Looking to buy a biginners Mandolin

I've never purchased an instrument from Musicians Friend and I'm not sure what kind of reputation they have as far as setting up the mandolin. (I'm sure many people will reply telling you that the set up is vitally important.) I know there are other vendors who have a presence on the cafe like Elderly, The Mandolin Store, and Gianni Violins who are well regarded as far as mandolin set ups and customer service. You will also get varying opinions as to the brand of mandolin. Some have had good experience with Epiphone and others will recommend Kentucky or Eastman. Good Luck
    Scott

Default Re: Looking to buy a beginners Mandolin

I have had great luck with Musicians friend over the years but they do not do great setup( if any at all) The user reviews on the fender you put up a link to mentions a bridge problem and I would take that as a warning. Kentucky has some lower end models in this price range as does Rover. I would consider buying from a dealer if you can't do your own setup. If you can do your own or have a friend who can, any number of inexpensive Pac-rim plywood mandos can be setup to play well enough for a beginner to see if they're interested. I have a Bestler I purchased off ebay for $19.00 that is my travel instrument and only required light strings and a bridge adjustment to make it a quite enjoyable instrument. Not all dealers do great setup either.
    Jim Richmond

Hocking County, Ohio Frank Johnson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crassostrea View Post
    Hi everybody, I am new to the group. I have been very interested in learning to play the Mandolin for some time now. Can somebody please give me some recommendations on an relatively inexpensive entry level mandolin? I saw this one on musicians friend and was wondering if this would be a good place to start?

http://folk-instruments.musiciansfri...ack?sku=517578

thanks for the help
    I'm also interested in learning the mandolin. I've been looking for a mandolin site where I can learn from people who know what they're talking about, and this one looks purty good, so I just now registered.

I've been a guitar player for over 40 years. I have a bud (we started playing together) who has had good experiences with Musicians Friend (MF).

With that said, I've been looking at used mandolins for the past several months, and the cheapest madolin I found was an old something-or-other for $100. MF has a combo deal for a guitar/mandolin package that they've cut to $85 (yeah, eighty five dollars). I ordered that yesterday, and it should be here next week. I figgered for that money it would be worth looking at (I normally won't buy ANYTHING along that line unless I can touch it, feel it, and hear it). I also ordered a "beginning mandolin" instruction package that was discounted. That includes a DVD, a book, and some other stuff.

Stressing that I know nothing about mandolins, I'll say that $200 sounds like a very resonable price for an instrument to learn on. If there are any music stores close by, you can certainly pick up a used one for less than that. Either way you go, if you find out you can't play it (or decide you don't really like the mandolin) you won't be hurt too bad, and if you DO like it you can be like me and plan to upgrade after you find out how it's going to go.

Jist my two cents worth.

>> I've been a guitar player for over 40 years. I have a bud (we started playing together) who has had good experiences with Musicians Friend (MF).
    With that said, I've been looking at used mandolins for the past several months, and the cheapest madolin I found was an old something-or-other for $100. MF has a combo deal for a guitar/mandolin package that they've cut to $85 (yeah, eighty five dollars).>>>

For 85 bucks and free shipping to boot you are stealing it.
    I have a couple of friends who have this set. Have played both mandolin and guitar and can tell you they are a real deal for the price

MF is also good to take returns if you are unhappy (for any reason)
    Jean

Pair of 96 Flatiron Fs

I have had limited, but good experience with MF. If they can guarantee you an instrument that has been properly inspected and well set up, it should be fine to learn on and would make a fine "beater" later on when you move up. However, the one caution I would have is the tuners on the mandolin pictured on the box at the link you attached are just the worst, IMHO and as a beginner, if you can't keep the thing in tune, learning can be frustrating. Those even cheaper Rogue mandolins at MF have tsame tuners. If it were me on a tight budget, I would spend at bit more and get a Kentucky 150s at Elderly for $225. It is all solid wood with better tuners and Elderly has a good reputation for inspeciting and shop adjusting their instruments. Then you can get all those "starter pack" accessories later as you can afford them and as you need them.

I feel the economic reality of purchasing a guitar AND a mandolin for 89 dollars and expecting either to be of any value, should be seen as unrealistic. I have 'attempted' to play a few of these that students have brought to me. Utter frustration. Save your money and go for something like the Kentucky and have it set up by a pro. I don't want to see you waste your money on something that will frustrate you and cause you to eventually quit because you blame yourself instead of realizing you have a poorly made instrument that is fighting you every step of the way.

Musician's Friend is an efficient warehouse shipper, and a web/phone boiler room to take your order.

A non beginner has enough foreknowledge to send back the clinkers, upon opening the box.

they are good at sending you a call tag to return it , but you are the 1st person to open the carton after it leaves the factory .. wherever that may be .. Caveat Emptor still works ..

It may benefit to get an instrument from a dealer that opens the box and does the inspection, setup and adjustment, before sending it out to the retail customer .

Though IF you have a local person that will do that , you may be able to come off OK.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

I have had very good experence with Musician friends I've bought 3 instruments plus other stuff always with great responce and delivery I recently (2 weeks ) ago a ovel mandolin after setting the bridge and tuning I was greatly supprised how good it sounded much louder then my rigel F style I bought it so as to play Blues and jazz and took it to church xmas eve to play carols the action is good and as any new mandolin the strings should be up graded set up and intone discussions are all here on Mandolin cafe for the price I feel you can't beat it please feel free to contact me if you have any questionsI have found that most music stores here in sacramento know littil if any about bano's mandolins and ukulele's one even calls for advice better to share advice in order to help other play
    fred davis

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

I had a bad experience with Musician's Friend. I was in Antarctica, wanting to order an e-mando with associated strings, a little cube amp, etc. I called them and spent over half an hour making sure they understood that it was all supposed to be shipped to an APO address (military mail).

It was the end of the incoming flights, so there was no opportunity for second chances. After a while I got a box with a cube amp, Amplug, strap, etc. My sister e-mailed from Saint Louis, saying that I had just recieved a package that looked like a tiny guitar.

After a half-hour of making sure they didn't do something stupid like ship to my billing address, they only shipped HALF of my order to my billing address. Too late to re-ship. I was mandolinless for the rest of the season, pretty much.

I don't know if that was indicative of their usual service, but it was not acceptable in that situation. I wouldn't order from them again. YMMV.

[QUOTE=man dough nollij;610115]I had a bad experience with Musician's Friend. I was in Antarctica, wanting to order an e-mando with associated strings, a little cube amp, etc. I called them and spent over half an hour making sure they understood that it was all supposed to be shipped to an APO address (military mail).

It was the end of the incoming flights, so there was no opportunity for second chances. After a while I got a box with a cube amp, Amplug, strap, etc. My sister e-mailed from Saint Louis, saying that I had just recieved a package that looked like a tiny guitar.
    QUOTE]

I could hear the confusion in your sister's voice when she said it looked like a tiny guitar!

I'm comfortable with Caveat Emptor, and am willing to accept whatever I get for that money (I can afford $85). With that said, I've had time to look around this site and may have looked at Elderly more closely because of the positive statements made about them. That's some of the best advertisement a company get get! I don't know anything about them but do get their catalog.

After I get my order from MF I'll holler back and give an opinion about it. I don't expect to receive a high-end instrument but DO expect to be able to fine tune it enough to see if I'm capable to learn. Should be purty simple to see if the action is good or not, 'coz after all it's a stringed instrument... and most all of us have tried to play a guitar with the strings two inches off the neck!

For the kind of money you mentioned it aint even going to be a low end instrument. Over priced kindling maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard Dick View Post
    For the kind of money you mentioned it aint even going to be a low end instrument. Over priced kindling maybe.
    Hee hee! Yeah, you're probably right.

Can anyone direct me to a thread on strings and picks? I expect I'll have to restring the mandolin soon after I get it, but I dunno. And although I prefer a thin pick for guitar I'm curious about what you experienced mandolin pickers use.

I went to GHS lights on my kindling and like them alot which surprised me because I don't care for GHS guitar strings. I use fender medium picks on both guitar and mandolin. You might want a little thicker pick for playing melody lines but part of what makes this fun IMHO is experimenting to find what works for you.
    Jim Richmond

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Frank View Post
    Can anyone direct me to a thread on strings and picks? I expect I'll have to restring the mandolin soon after I get it, but I dunno. And although I prefer a thin pick for guitar I'm curious about what you experienced mandolin pickers use.

It took me a long time to realize that big, thick, relatively inflexible picks work best for me. I recommend trying the Fender Heavy (big triangular) and the big triangular Dunlop Tortex (mine are light green-- not sure the thickness) they have a little bit of roughness to them that makes it easier to hang on to them, and takes a little harshness off the tone. Good news is that picks like that are cheap, and you can experiment. Stay away from the Blue Chip thread, unless you want to become a PAS victim, with a horrible addiction to $35 picks!

I received the guitar/mandolin combo yesterday morning and took it to my bud's house to open them up. Figgered we would share the experience. Neither of us know anything about mandolins, but were pleasantly surprised at how good the guitar looks and sounds! I had to go to work two hours later, but told him to cut the strings off the guitar and put some XL's on it. He said the only thing he would do (other than strings) is replace the bridge, and he's taking care of that for me.

The mandolin looks good, sounds good, and frets easy. It's perfect for what I want: finding out if I CAN play it, and finding out if I WANT to play it. I was able to pick out "I Saw The Light" with little trouble and we peeped through a little bit of the instructional DVD. The mandolin came with an extra set of Martin 80/20 bronze strings, so I figger that's what is on it as well. Don't plan to change them out, though. It sounds fine to us. They're certainly good enough to learn on. One of my guitar stands holds the mandolin purty good, but it ain't exactly right. Do they make a stand specifically for the mandolin?

I already discovered that the chords are a bit difficult though.

Now I'm off to locate some threads here about beginning to play (specifically) and tips on chording. If anyone here has any suggestions about specific posts that I should look at, please feel free to comment. I'm purty excited and feel like a kid again! HA!

Try the D'Addario J74 strings. I would also recommend trying Wegen mandolin picks either the TF120 or TF140. I would also recommend some of the Jazz Mando picks from jazzmando.com. They are 1.5mm thick. I have tried lots of picks including the Dawg and Golden Gate picks. I keep going back to the Wegens and Jazz Mando picks.
    Fender Tele
    Epiphone Nighthawk
    Ibanez AF75
    Yamaha CPX-500
    Alvarez AD80SSB
    Alvarez RD2012S
    Blueridge BR-240
    Flinthill FHM-75

10-4 on the strings. And thank you for the input.

I've preferred a thin pick for guitar, but am starting on the mandolin with a medium pick. Figger I'll follow along with the advice y'all are giving. Don't plan to change the strings just yet, though.

My eyesight ain't like it was when I was 40, so I drew a template of a mandolin neck using a sharpie and drew the chords in so's I can see the chords without squinting. The chords are really foreign and I gotta keep referring back to see where my fingers should be!

I'm going to learn the C/D/G/F chords before going any further and go from there... unless y'all think that's a mistake. Any advice on threads I could go to?

Hey Frank,

When I was starting playing, I was very discouraged by trying to learn the closed G chord. I found that it came in time, but it was very hard for me to reach that far and fret the strings cleanly. Even now, I use the two-finger G chord more, and even think it sounds better in most situations. The three finger G is pretty easy, too.

Just thought I'd throw that out there-- don't get discouraged if something like that seems harder than it should be.

Happy Pickin'!

Lee

My husband and I got one of those guitar/mando packages a couple years ago when they were $99 for the pair and the instruments aren't anywhere near as bad as they ought to be for that price. We bought them to keep at our parents' houses so when we went to visit, we wouldn't have to bring our real instruments, but we enjoy them for what they are. Actually, the reason I'm adding to this thread is that you can upgrade through Musician's Friend if you want to, later. If you do a search for 'mandolin' on the site, you can see all sorts of instruments in the low and mid-price range there. I bought my Kentucky from them. The only issue was it wasn't set up when I got it, but even with my fumbling around, the instrument is a very nice one with a good tone that got even better when I got a professional setup for the holidays.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Telephoned an old mandolin picker on Friday. He's 84 and retired, so we talked for a spell. He recommended that I start out by learning tabs, so I've been working on that.

The "how to play this thing" DVD that I bought was a disappointment, though. It has all the backup music, and it shows the host playing the mando, but I can't hear him play the song at normal speed. The only time I hear the mandolin is during the teaching session when he plays each song one little section at a time. I guess that would be fine if I knew the songs, but I don't. So I'm headed to town today to buy however many CD's I need so's I can hear the songs at normal speed. Whatta disappointment! I'm also going to see if any of the music shops up that way have any 'how to play' DVD's. Seems I catch on quicker if I can see what they're doing as compared to listening on a CD and following along in a book.

I've also been peeping the posts about DVD's that some of you have talked about. I don't want to buy another "how to play" DVD like the one I have!

I've been going through a ton of posts on this site and I appreciate all the input from the experienced players out there. Thanks!

Something else that has proved to be really helpful to me is to clip on a headstock tuner.
    (i.e.Intellitouch or Intelli-http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000P97ZL8/themussou0b384665-20)
    With this I am able to get immediate feedback on what note I am playing. I can read music well enough, but with this I was quickly able to see if I was playing the right note on the mando or not.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Playin4Fun View Post
    Something else that has proved to be really helpful to me is to clip on a headstock tuner.
    (i.e.Intellitouch or Intelli-http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000P97ZL8/themussou0b384665-20)
    With this I am able to get immediate feedback on what note I am playing. I can read music well enough, but with this I was quickly able to see if I was playing the right note on the mando or not.
    Eric
    Good idea. I've never used a headstock tuner and have never even seen one up close and personal, but have seen them in catalogs.

[QUOTE=Daddy Frank;613015] I guess that would be fine if I knew the songs, but I don't. So I'm headed to town today to buy however many CD's I need so's I can hear the songs at normal speed. Whatta disappointment! I'm also going to see if any of the music shops up that way have any 'how to play' DVD's. Seems I catch on quicker if I can see what they're doing as compared to listening on a CD and following along in a book.
    QUOTE]

Hey Frank - you don't have to buy a bunch of CDs to hear songs anymore.
    You can do what I do. Go to youtube.com and type in the songs title and you can hear a bunch of people play it. And if you type mandolin and the song title, chances are good that you'll get to hear it on the mando. I do this all the time. It not only helps me learn the tune but I get to hear several versions of it and little tricks I can try to jaz it up.
    Hope that helps.

I'm in youtube now, but I really really need to upgrade from dial-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tip!