Thread: Weber Sweet Pea...Is it the Best Choice for a "Travelling" Mando?

Default Weber Sweet Pea...Is it the Best Choice for a "Travelling" Mando?

Hey all,

Might be looking to pick up a mando that I can toss in the car and go, you know something a bit more compact and easier to pack. I have handled and played around with one of the Martin BackPacker and wasn't happy with the sound of it at all. Then I read and heard about the Sweet Pea from Weber. I have a Weber Bitterroot and really like it so I am pretty sure the Sweet Pea would be made pretty well based on what I have seen from other Weber mandos.

What do you all think? Is there another brand/model that I should check out before seriously checking into the Sweet Pea?

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr

Registered User man dough nollij's Avatar

Default Re: Weber Sweet Pea...Is it the Best Choice for a "Travelling" Ma

I have a Sweet Pea that suffered from a sinking top. I don't think that's typical with them-- mine was subjected to some pretty severe conditions. They are nice and small, but aren't very loud at all. They have a fantastic tailpiece design-- the easiest by far to restring. I would recommend a used one, but they're pretty pricey for what you get if you buy new. Regular mandolins are so small that you have to really need it to be tiny to justify getting a travel model. BTW, mine fits perfectly in a 3/4 size violin hard case. The gig bag that comes with the SP is inappropriate for actually traveling.

I have one and like it for those times when I can't take anything else--such as a bike trip. The sound is quiet and a little tinny--but that is to be expected by the size. It really is wonderfully small, well built, and has the longer scale of a bluegrass mando. I've managed to play in impromptu duets with it but itsn't suitable for jamming.

When I don't need it to be quite that small (which is most of the time) I sometimes prefer to take an inexpensive vintage mando. Playing by myself I like an oval hole so I will take an old regal or something else (which can be had for less than a sweet pea), depending what I have on hand, often in a gig bag. They have a shorter scale but a better sound. For example, I took one too Montreal the other week and am glad I did as I ended up jamming in a pub, which I couldn't have done with the sweet pea.

That being said, I'm glad to have the sweet pea and dont plan to part with it.
    Cary Fagan

Some regular sized beater is likely to sound at least as good, cost way less and not take up much more room. Mandolins are so portable already, hardly seems worth the cost or loss of tone.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Blog Entries

I had one and enjoyed it for what it was, a small mandolin with a full scale. It has a very cool tailpiece like Lee said (his extreme conditions were Antarctica with 1% RH and cold). Mine never had any issues. I got mine used for $200 and sold it for the same. When I travelled, I took a full sized mandolin. Unless you really are space constrained, a full size mandolin would be better if you intend on playing with others. The body size is small so there isn't lots of bass, but the sound is good enough considering. If you like the Weber product, consider their Y2K flat top for a tad more and full sized. There's one in the classifieds now ($300), not mine.

If however, you really are space constrained, get one, the gig bag that comes with, as Lee stated, is not tough. If you're just going from your car to your work space it would do.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

If I might suggest a third option... have you ever thought about a mandolinetto (guitar shaped mandolin). The sound can still be quite good. They are usually about tenor uke size, to give you an idea. Definitely more compact than a Gibson-style mando. You can find examples in many price ranges. The vintage regal flat tops are probably the most affordable at 200 to 300, but there are also new carved archtop versions for less than 2 grand that have been very positively reviewed. Vintage Howe-Orme induced arch would be between these in price and those models I have been told have a great sound.

I have a Mid-Missouri MM-8 in a TKL gig bag. It seems to weigh nothing and it fits under an airline seat if it has to. Not really a quiet mandolin either, not loud enough to bg jam but pretty good sound. I got it for $150 with a capo and a spare set of new strings.

Great for travel.

I just bought a new Sweet Pea a few weeks ago. The quality is top-notch, the tone is tinny as has been noted. If you are going for tone, I think you need to look at one of the other alternatives mentioned above. If you are going for small size, then the Sweet Pea might be for you. I like mine as it is used for solo practice under space and loudness restrictions.

HLS

Martin backpacker has proven its durability , forgot my daypack[outside pocket] with it in its gig bag on top of the car , and drove out from underneath it , the coffee on the roof trick. was fine , didn't even go out of tune.

I did more traveling with my Leo, an even smaller mandolin , it's over all, 20" long . so fit perfectly tied across the rear rack with tent and sleeping bag on my touring bike.
    13" scale.
    I had a friend that worked for reunion blues before they off shored the work out of San Fran, he got a well padded Gig bag sewn for it , using some of the Cordura I had, it is shaped like a wooden ice cream spoon, with a #10 coil zipper running around the edge.
    took it on a couple long bike tours , last one Eire and Scotland.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Another option might be a Mandobird with gig bag. I have an 8 string that I enjoy playing unplugged as it's very resonant. I couldn't jam with it unplugged but I'm thinking that this would be for one to practice one's chops and volume wouldn't be so much an issue. A plus is that you can play late and not disturb others.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Full size Mid Missouri is a couple of inches shorter than most A styles. Hard to beat the sound .

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Some regular sized beater is likely to sound at least as good, cost way less and not take up much more room. Mandolins are so portable already, hardly seems worth the cost or loss of tone.
    Plus it's less likely to break your heart if you have to replace it when a fellow camper inadvertently sits on it, or you accidentally drop it off of El Capitan.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    Another option might be a Mandobird with gig bag. I have an 8 string that I enjoy playing unplugged as it's very resonant. I couldn't jam with it unplugged but I'm thinking that this would be for one to practice one's chops and volume wouldn't be so much an issue. A plus is that you can play late and not disturb others.
    I'll second this recommendation...very portable, inexpensive, and the solid body makes them a bit more durable. Loud enough to hear yourself, quiet enough to play in a hotel room late or office at lunch. Got mine for 125 bucks used, but basically NIB. Had to do a little setup, but nothing major. The unplugged sound, of course, is not great, but is fine for quiet practice. I like my four (so I can distort without issues), but an 8 string wound be a better approximation for practicing chops.

If you can find a Sweet Pea to check out and like it, go for it. I think at this point I'd be more inclined to get an A style "beater" like Kentucky's entry level models (which you can get < 250 used, cheaper if you go all laminate), or maybe the Rover A style (129-139 bucks). I've actually been eyeing an old Kay laminate model in a local store and keeping my eye out for the "right" Stradolin. Better sounding alternatives would be the Mid Mo offerings, or for more cash a Flatiron pancake or Redline Traveller. I love my Flatty pancake enough that I don't consider it a traveller/beater, though that was my original intention.

Good luck!
    Chuck